sabercraft 15' restore

rjad

Recruit
Restoring a sabrecraft that i scored from the dump. It was in great shape for getting it at the dump. Still had a windshield that didnt have a crack in it. i tore out the floor. And tore out the transom. The floor and transom was rotten. What is best to use to rebuild the transom? And i want to beef it up better. Thinking about putting a new evinrude 250 g2 etec ho. Would that hold up? After i beef it up.

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Welcome rjad ! Do you have the title for the boat ? With no way of registering you may have been better off leaving at the dump .
I would think a 250 hp on a 15 ft boat may be a bit much .. Pics ?

rjad

Recruit
Here in alaska dont need a title to get boat registration. And it was registered before. It has the numbers still on it. And i live in a small town. And seen the guys dump it. Its in amazing shape for just throwing it away. And i will take pics later on today

rjad

Recruit
Here is a picture from the back of the skiff

Attachments

• Screenshot_2015-08-28-23-27-45.png
    Screenshot_2015-08-28-23-27-45.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 0

NAT1VE

Petty Officer 2nd Class
The whole transom looks to have a band-aid fix on it. I would remove that piece on the outside skin of the transom and go from there. Post up some More pics of the boat brother!

jbcurt00

Staff member
You can't do anything to that boat to make it safe to operate w/ a 250hp hanging off the back. What you've done is hide current and future transom problems behind a big ugly steel plate.

Operate in saltwater, brackish or fresh?

Please consider taking a step back, evaluating the boat and doing sound and safe repairs to it before putting an appropriate sized outboard on it.

Good luck w your project.

Boat and boat resto safely

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral
A 250 on the back of that boat will probably sink it the first time you launch it. That boat probably isn't rated for much more than a 50 hp motor.