Probably a dumb question

mainexile

Petty Officer 1st Class
In this day and age when we have the technology to send vehicles to the bottom of the deepest parts of the oceans or into outer space beyond our solar system, why can't boat manufacturers employ materials that are impervious (or nearly so) to water intrusion and damage? I realize that the aspects of "planned obsolescence" and the profit motives of aftermarket repair vendors affect boat manufacturers' decisions, but can anyone deny that the technology exists to significantly prevent hull/transom/stringer/deck deterioration and replacement??? Sorry for the rant, and I apologize in advance if this is not the proper forum for this tirade.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I understand that some modern boat builders are utilizing non-wood materials to build their boats. But like WOG stated, you will certainly pay for such technologies because that makes your boat worth more come selling time... And if the boat designers and builders made their boats last forever, why would then need to update their designs for future boats? You wouldn't need one then... :noidea:

DeepBlue2010

Lieutenant
When I was looking for a working boat for my family (until I finish building mine :) ) I came across a 32 foot Sundancer with absolutely no wood in it. Not even the tables, closets, or trims. It was selling for the very affordable price of only $500,000 :eek:

gm280

Supreme Mariner
When I was looking for a working boat for my family (until I finish building mine :) ) I came across a 32 foot Sundancer with absolutely no wood in it. Not even the tables, closets, or trims. It was selling for the very affordable price of only $500,000 :eek:

And you didn't buy it? Why not?

jbcurt00

Staff member
Rather then ask why makers can't build a rot proof boat, why not ask why people take better care of their stuff, instead of leaving it to rot sitting in a field, bow down w/ no a cover.

No less complex an answer and, IMO, its the larger problem.

jbcurt00

Staff member
Wasn't clear that I am being facetious?!!

gm280 wasn't sarcastic enough? :watermelon:

If you go big and buy the $500K boat, gotta buy a decent tow rig too. May I suggest a Brabus G63 700 6X6?
Brabus%2BG63%2B700%2B6X6.jpg

Twin Turbo V8, w an optional upgrade to 850hp and 1070lb-ft of torque :eyebrows: :madgrin:

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
A 23' correct craft has no wood. Just fiberglass hull, fiberglass stringer tubs, fiberglass cap, heater, 6.2 liter with v-drive and a wakeboard tower. Only $115k

New Chris Crafts, Intrepid's etc do not have wood either.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
It's not really "planned obsolescence", I don't think that has ever been the objective of any boat builder I've met. The concern has always been making a boat at a price where enough people can afford to buy it so he can stay in business. The unknowing general public has no idea what good products and attention to detail is in a boat, or what it means to how long it will last, they buy from the dealer with the lowest cost for the biggest boat. So that's what gets built.

Last edited:

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
If given enough time water will destroy anything, it will dissolve solid rock even. Add salt and that speeds the process up.

Like Jbcurt said a better question is why don't people take care of their boats and if they did you wouldn't even have to ask the question. Get a nice new convertible car that costs half of what a new boat does and leave the top down in the driveway all summer and winter. Then ask why don't they make cars water proof?

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
If given enough time water will destroy anything, it will dissolve solid rock even. Add salt and that speeds the process up.

Like Jbcurt said a better question is why don't people take care of their boats and if they did you wouldn't even have to ask the question. Get a nice new convertible car that costs half of what a new boat does and leave the top down in the driveway all summer and winter. Then ask why don't they make cars water proof?

Oops - Be right back. Gotta put my top up. LOL

So true. It's a boat, it's made to get wet, right? :facepalm:

The :facepalm: means I don't believe the statement, so I'm spelling it out.

Scott Danforth

Staff member
boats are intended to be wet on the outside

hot tubs are intended to be wet on the inside

convertibles are to be garage kept unless driven in the sunshine

any questions?

DeepBlue2010

Lieutenant
I also disagree with the hypothesis that given enough time, boat decay is inevitable. The evidences to the contrary are oblivious all around us. Those ships cross the oceans every day are made out of steel!

Steel in salt water. It is only a matter of time before rust reclaim these vessels back right! Not nearly true, most of them are older than you think.

Boats are a lot of work to maintain. I am not talking about fixing something that is broken, this is called reactive maintenance. I am talking about preventing something from being damaged, this is called preventive maintenance and this one is a lot of work.

To make things a little more difficult, not everything that was done at the factory was done right. A while ago, I finishes changing the steering pin on my Bravo 3. Some ?genius? (the quotation marks around genius makes it mean ?idiot? for those who needs everything to be spelled out for them) at Mercruiser decided to make it out of steel claiming that ?this part should not be under water that much anyway? this is an actual Mercruiser claim by the way. To add insult to injury, they sell this part for over $400 as is. I machined my own for much less and added some provisions to accommodate for their faulty design.

After I got my boat in water, I was testing the voltage difference around my props and some guys on the dock was watching me like I am from another planet. One of them finally came and asked me what I am doing. I explained the process to him and when I mentioned the Mercathode system he said "never heard of it". He then asked me if I would take a look at his boat and see if he had a similar system, he did!

There are some boat owners who doesn?t have the foggiest idea how to take care of their boats. For all they care, the boat should take care of them. They get in, start the engine and she roars across the sea, every single time and the time she can?t, they start calling her names. I see and talk to a lot of these ?maintenance free? type guys every day; I am not just talking about boat owners.
A maintenance free mentalities will let mother earth reclaim anything that is made of anything while they are sitting their behinds on the dock smoking cigars and consuming lots of alcohol.

Last edited:

Scott Danforth

Staff member
Paint sticks to steel better than aluminum. this helps. then again, large vessels go into drydock every few years for a paint job

DeepBlue2010

Lieutenant
Paint sticks to steel better than aluminum. this helps. then again, large vessels go into drydock every few years for a paint job

My point was that continuous maintenance and hard work to keep the vessel sea worthy is the key to longevity. What is your point?! I read the above and just wondering what are you trying to say? Or we are just arguing pointlessly now?!

jbcurt00

Staff member
Blue/Scott, I see your posts as in agreement, maintenance is necessary and when done, and done right, it can extend a boat's service life nearly indefinitely. Lets not do the back and forth dance over it. Thanks