Repowering a Fjord. OMC Stringer to Merc conversion

tigre

Cadet
Hi all, new user here in Valdez, Alaska! I'm currently shopping for my very first boat. It's to be used for fishing and exploring in Prince William Sound. Deciding on a cabin cruiser, I've waded through the Bayliners and GlasPlys and found something interesting instead. A 1969 Fjord 24 Weekender. It looks super cool and amazingly seaworthy. It's being sold by its second owner, who bought it as a project and never had it in the water. So basically a one-owner boat. Reportedly in great condition regarding the hull, deck, and cabin (which is set up beautifully, thanks to Scandinavian designers).

What's the project? Repowering. It's dual engine I/O, converting from OMC Stringer outdrives to 3.0 Mercs with Alpha One outdrives. The old stuff is pulled, the new stuff (running take outs with only a couple hundred hours) is ready to install. Says he has everything for the job including lots of extra parts and even a spare outdrive. The whole deal is $4K.

I've just started reading about the transom conversion, and it doesn't sound as scary as I thought at first, but I am a bit out of my element. I'll have help, and we have time over the winter to do it, but I want a gut check. It's a super cool boat and I won't find another like it. Should I jump on it?

Last edited:

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
welcome aboard.

regarding your question, should you jump on it....... depends on how crazy you are, and if you like projects.

its a 46 year old boat. if the prior owner kept really good care of it, and there is no rot in the stringers, bulkheads, transom or sole, then yes, if you love the boat, jump on it.

the prior owner has already sourced two 3.0 liter motors.

you already know the transom will need to be replaced because the OMC motors have a hole big enough to park a buick.

I do recommend getting a survey done, even if the boat is on the hard with the longtails out.

back to your question - only you can determine should you pull the trigger or not.

tigre

Cadet
Well I'm really not looking for a yes or no answer really. Just thoughts and advice. We have a friend who may be willing to do the fiberglass work, possibly in exchange for another project boat we acquired and then thought better about.

The bigger question I have is what else is necessary, in terms of controls. These old stringers had some funky steering and trim controls, and I don't know how complicated it is to change out whatever needs to be changed. Supposedly all the parts are included, the guy selling it just doesn't want to do the fiberglass work himself and the guy who was going to do it for him moved out of state.

I don't know about surveyors, things aren't all that formal up here. It's also in Homer, which is a ten hour drive from here (which is at least bordering on unreasonable even by Alaska standards, but we're fairly unreasonable people anyways, and I'd like an excuse to go back to Homer). A neighbor is from there and his dad is going to check it out for us (these are people who were basically raised on boats going back many generations). I'm not afraid of the age of the boat. I figure a vessel this age that is of quality craftsmanship and well cared for is probably a better bet than a much newer Bayliner or something of that nature.

Last edited:

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Pretty unique looking boat, you won;t be bumping into many deals like that in the near future.

uimg-fjord-24weekender-050679.jpg

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
I'm not afraid of the age of the boat. I figure a vessel this age that is of quality craftsmanship and well cared for is probably a better bet than a much newer Bayliner or something of that nature.

only if it has been cared for. the key to a 46 year old boat is condition....condition....condition.

you will want to get the hull surveyed. I dont care if its formal, informal, or the guy shows up in flip-flops and a pith helmet. you will want to know the moisture content of the core, overall soundness of the hull and it structures, if there is any underlying problems, and the condition of everything. that $400 investment could mean that this is the best $4k you will spend on a boat, or if you should run because the only thing left holding the fiberglass together is termite pooh.

tigre

Cadet
What I mean is that not all parts of the state actually have boat surveyors. My town, though it is a port town, does not, at least not officially (we don't even have a home inspector here anymore!). Homer apparently has two, though I'm sure they mostly work with larger vessels like commercial fishing boats. I believe the guy I'm having look at it is more than qualified to judge its condition.

I'm waiting to hear from the local fiberglass guy and we should get eyes on the boat in the next couple days. I'll be able to get down there myself in two weeks. If this thing was complete it would just about be my dream boat. I just don't want to get in over my head.

Last edited:

64osby

Admiral
Desire, knowledge (or the ability to learn) and the right tools are what is needed to complete any project know matter what size.

Having a survey or a person who truly knows good from bad condition on a hull will get you the starting point of the work to be done.

You may look at it as motors and transom only. Quite often those projects turn into full blown gut the hull, replace all the stringers and deck supports and then build up from there.

Having a good inspection will allow you to determine the amount of actual work needed to get your dream boat on the water with out having a nightmare.

tigre

Cadet
Having a survey or a person who truly knows good from bad condition on a hull will get you the starting point of the work to be done.
As I've said, this is what I'm having done. I'm not buying something that isn't structurally sound. I was hoping to hear from someone with some experience relevant to the specific situation here. I know there have been previous threads about this sort of conversion, but most are older and the posters aren't currently active.

Last edited:

TruckDrivingFool

Lieutenant Commander
Bear with these guys they mean well but are shell shocked from too many I just bought this rotted out fiberglass boat now what's a feller to do threads and trying to warn you.

Don't know how much you've read but to nutshell it the transom will need to be rebuilt to close the gaping OMC hole and achieve an overall thickness of 2". Youl also need to look at tying the transom to the stringers to transfer the new forces on the transom. Beyond that the best I got is that it's way cheaper to find a rotted out glass boat to use as a donor so you have everything in a package. The donor boat should also give ideas for the mounts you have to build.

Last edited:

tigre

Cadet
Beyond that the best I got is that it's way cheaper to find a rotted out glass boat to use as a donor so you have everything in a package. The donor boat should also give ideas for the mounts you have to build.

Thanks for your response! It sounds like that's exactly what the guy who currently owns it did. So that part is already done. Then his fiberglass guy moved away and life happened and now he's selling the entire project. He has lots of literature, manuals, etc. from the original owner as well. As long as the hull is as solid as he claims, it's about the best I could hope for in this sort of situation. I should find out more shortly.

Last edited:

TruckDrivingFool

Lieutenant Commander
The first step leads back to what the rest are saying,

Make sure it's "as solid as he says", if it is buy it and get the boat home. Start posting some pics of what you're working with and I know the expertise found here can get you through any sticking points you run into.

tigre

Cadet
Well, our buddy's dad went and looked at it this weekend and said it was in great condition. Basically, he said he wanted to know if we decided not to buy it because he might want it for himself!

Got an estimate from our fiberglass guy for $4500 to do the whole job, including installing the engines. That all sounds pretty reasonable to me, so we're driving down to Homer on Thursday and hauling it back, and it should be in the water next spring!

tigre

Cadet
Whelp, looks like it's a no go after all. A couple weekends ago we went down there (~20 hour drive round-trip, mind you), and the guy didn't have his ducks in a row regarding the registration. The trailer registration was 20 years out of date and the registration paper he'd gotten when he bought it last year was for the wrong trailer. Had no registration whatsoever on the boat itself. We spent the entirety of the Friday we were there trying to figure out a way to legally tow it home (it's an oversize load and my fiance is wanting to get his CDL soon, so towing it illegally is not a risk we were willing to take) and wound up coming home with nothing.

Dude said it would be ready to go when we got there. And to top it off the trailer had one broken wheel stud (that we replaced before we figured out that we weren't taking it home) and two dry-rotted tires! And it was the guy's wife helping us the whole day, as he was out working remote up around Kotzebue. Still haven't heard back from him! No idea what the deal is, but winter is coming quick and I've given up on it.

So back to the drawing board, I guess. Starting to look at the 21' Trophies. Not quite as comfy, but enough space for me and better on gas besides. Thanks for your help, folks!