1976 Crestliner Crusader 885- Restoration

Mts678

Cadet
I had another thread and it just got cluttered up with my questions and feedback and ect. So here's a new thread for my restoration process that has started. I got a free boat from my uncle ;) I have started the demo of the interior and what was left of the wood floors and stringers. I've got most of the wood and foam out of the boat. I just have the front of the open bow area to demo. Then its cut and grind time to prep for new stringers and ect. Here's some pics of the boat and the progress made so far.

So far I have about 4 hours of labor into the boat. I grew up in my dads fiberglass shop, so the fiberglass work won't be a problem- plus free fiberglass materials!! WOOHOO! This will be father son project, so we will be having fun! I'm 29. Last father son project was my high school truck- 86 chevy short bed with a '95 LT1 5.7L, 4L60E tranny with high stall torque converter and shift kit and 3.42 posi rear end. Fun truck we had, full frame off restoration, right where the boat is no sitting!

Mts678

Cadet
Not sure how I posted this in the wrong section, Mods can you please move this to the restoration section? I could've sworn that's where I clicked to make this post!

Bondo

Staff member
This is where I need some advice from a fellow such as yourself- if the OMC drive is still good and it probably just needs new seals and fluids and it works- should I keep the OMC drive or replace it with something else to mate up to the OMC motor? Because if (and probably so) the transom needs replaced, then I might as well put a different drive unit since I'll be messing with the transom and all that right?

Ayuh,.... That's what I do,....

I suggest ya sell the entire OMC package, 'n I'd go Mercruiser, or you can go Volvo,....

But don't stick with the Stringer, 'n it's dedicated motor,....
The motor is worth nothin' to yer swap, sell it for funds for the build,....

Find a runnin' rotten boat with the driveline ya want in yer boat,...
Buy it, 'n junk it out as a donor boat,....
Ya get ALL the little pieces to make it work, that usually cost tooooo much by the piece,.....

Bondo

Staff member
Btw,.... I moved yer topic, 'n I prefer to discuss such things on the forums, rather than pm's,..... ;)

Mts678

Cadet
What are the popular merc and Volvo swaps? From what I've read the Volvo aq2006 (IIRC) can handle just about anything around 300hp?