Restoring childhood boat. A 1972 Ranger. Help needed (pictures).

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Art, When you build your cradle, make sure it is moveable and with side supports. This is my base for my cradle without the side supports attached yet. Yes, my boat is a tri-hull design. But it really doesn't have to be anything special. And the lower you can make the cradle, the easier it will be crawling in and out of it as you proceed on the work. I also use screws and bolts/nuts exclusively so that when it comes time to take it apart, I can use the lumber for other projects as well. I hate to throw things away. Second use is a good thing in my thinking. JMHO!

artfan1

Seaman
I wouldn't worry about the edge to much right now. Like I said, I'd get the holes fixed on the inside then screw some 1x2's around the top edges and then screw some 1x2's across the beam at 3-4 points and flip her onto a cradle like I built. Then work on the bottom. Believe me I UNDERSTAND the weather. Here In OKIELAND we say if you don't like the weather just wait a MINUTE!!!!! It's been pretty good so far but...It'll change I'm sure. Keep up the good work and like I said, don't worry to much about the areas that won't be recieving new glass. It really won't matter in the end.;)

Ah, yes. I never thought about supporting everything in that manner. Once I have the detail grinding done, and then patch the holes and thin spots, I will work on adding the 1x2s and cross supports for the flip.

I need to brush up on my reading for the materials and techniques involved in doing the patching of holes. Although I studied it extensively months ago, my focus has been in the deconstruction of the hull so much so that I have now forgotten most of it. Currently I don't have any materials. I wanted to wait until I was ready before ordering all of that. I will need to pick the materials I will be using, at least for this next step. I am talking about just the hole repairs and the buildup of the thin spots since that's all I might be able to do before it's too cold to do anything else. Then in the spring, I can order more supplies for the stringers, transom and replacing the structures. If these will be the same, then all the better. I can order larger sizes of resin for example. I'm sure like everything else, once I have done a few, it will be more obvious to me what I am doing.

artfan1

Seaman
Art, When you build your cradle, make sure it is moveable and with side supports. This is my base for my cradle without the side supports attached yet. Yes, my boat is a tri-hull design. But it really doesn't have to be anything special. And the lower you can make the cradle, the easier it will be crawling in and out of it as you proceed on the work. I also use screws and bolts/nuts exclusively so that when it comes time to take it apart, I can use the lumber for other projects as well. I hate to throw things away. Second use is a good thing in my thinking. JMHO!

Thanks for the photo. I do have a question here. This cradle is for supporting the boat in the correct position, correct? Since I built the cradle onto my trailer, won't that work for this or would it be better than what I have? I was thinking that the one WOG mentioned, although he called it a cradle, I assumed it was a dolly for flipping the boat over (keel up) to work on the bottom. Should I go ahead and build one that functions as both? Sorry, I am a little confused having not done any of this beyond where I am right now on this project.

I know that the boat needs to eventually be flipped so I can work on the bottom. Grind out damage, repair, polish and paint. But then I figured it would be flipped back over onto the trailer with the supporting sides to be leveled and squared in preparation of setting in the transom, stringers etc.
I'm willing to do which ever would be best, I just wasn't sure if I was understanding everything correctly. Thanks!

Nice work as usual and great questions.
Thanks for the kind words.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Art, of course you can add supports to your trailer to support your boat hull while refurbishing it. I was just showing you what I built for a cradle. And the reason I built this was at the time, I was still working on the trailer and needed a place for the boat to sit while doing the trailer work. And this was the base of my cradle. I have added side supports and when I get to the point to flip my project boat, I will still use this cradle for that painting effort as well. So if you want to use your trailer and add side supports, go for it. It will work just fine. I just used some heavy duty casters so I can move it around as needed. JMHO!

artfan1

Seaman
Art, of course you can add supports to your trailer to support your boat hull while refurbishing it. I was just showing you what I built for a cradle. And the reason I built this was at the time, I was still working on the trailer and needed a place for the boat to sit while doing the trailer work. And this was the base of my cradle. I have added side supports and when I get to the point to flip my project boat, I will still use this cradle for that painting effort as well. So if you want to use your trailer and add side supports, go for it. It will work just fine. I just used some heavy duty casters so I can move it around as needed. JMHO!

I appreciate it too. The more I think about it, I think it would be a good idea for me to go ahead and build my dolly with a future cradle in mind. For one, once I get to the point where I am putting things back together, it would be a lot easier to step in and out of the lower cradle. Secondly, my trailer needs work too and that would give me more time to work on the trailer if the boat is in another cradle. I believe I can reuse the side supports from the trailer anyway.
Lastly, I'm guessing that squaring up the hull would be better in that type of a cradle than a trailer supported by springs and tires.

I'm curious. How did you manager to notch out the profile for the keel and hull so that it matches the boat? I notice that your cradle is customized to the profile of the hull. I like that.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I appreciate it too. The more I think about it, I think it would be a good idea for me to go ahead and build my dolly with a future cradle in mind. For one, once I get to the point where I am putting things back together, it would be a lot easier to step in and out of the lower cradle. Secondly, my trailer needs work too and that would give me more time to work on the trailer if the boat is in another cradle. I believe I can reuse the side supports from the trailer anyway.
Lastly, I'm guessing that squaring up the hull would be better in that type of a cradle than a trailer supported by springs and tires.

I'm curious. How did you manager to notch out the profile for the keel and hull so that it matches the boat? I notice that your cradle is customized to the profile of the hull. I like that.

Art, if you go to my boat project thread you can see how the entire cradle was built. I actually had the boat off the trailer and flipped upside down and took each cross wood plank and custom cut it to fit that part of the hull. So when it was all put together, the boat fits perfectly solid. Then I took some side supports and custom set them at each bulkhead. Then I cut the top plate for the side support to fit tight against the hull. And now I can get in and out really easy.

When it comes time to flip the hull for prepping and priming, painting the hull, I will use the same cradle with a few 2 X 4's laid across the top plate as well. Perfect height for sanding and blocking the hull also. There are advantages to building a separate cradle. Then the trailer can be fixed, rewired, painted or whatever it needs done without a boat in the way. JMHO!

artfan1

Seaman
I'm going to take a few weeks off from my project, so that I can spend time with my family during the holidays. After 5 months of non-stop work on it, I figured I should recharge my batteries, spend time with my wife and kids. What better time to do that, than during the holidays (and cold weather). :smow:

Depending on how far below zero, the temps are after the holidays, I will get back to it.
This will also give me time to read and study some of the details of what I will be diving into next. Can't wait!
I also have hundreds of measurements that I want to map out on the computer. :ranger: That's a good winter project.

Happy Holidays to all and be safe.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I'm going to take a few weeks off from my project, so that I can spend time with my family during the holidays. After 5 months of non-stop work on it, I figured I should recharge my batteries, spend time with my wife and kids. What better time to do that, than during the holidays (and cold weather). :smow:

Depending on how far below zero, the temps are after the holidays, I will get back to it.
This will also give me time to read and study some of the details of what I will be diving into next. Can't wait!
I also have hundreds of measurements that I want to map out on the computer. :ranger: That's a good winter project.

Ha Art, I can understand that. I actually do that but with out the planning to stop. Life gets into the mix so many times that I stop quite often myself. But not merely to take a break but because family issues take priority. :thumb:

kcassells

Fleet Admiral

Ha Ha Art... So far with life and family I took off a year, made a new move, replanted the boat and stare at it every day chomping away at me. It's there will be there if properly protected and just waiting to be finished!
Enjoy the Holidays with the family and surely don't sweat it!!!
KC!:tea:

Art, I could hardly believe it when I ran across your post. My story is so similar to yours its scary. My dad also went down to the Ranger factory in 1972 and bought his first bass boat, I was 6 years old at the time.When he brought that boat home he was like a celebrity in our neighborhood! The picture of your dad even reminds me of my old man! Sadly he passed away a few years ago and I miss him terribly. He gave me that boat before he died, needless to say I have a very strong emotional attachment to it. My dad was what you would call a perfectionist so this boat was stored inside since new. The boat is all black including the trailer and 85HP mercury motor and is nearly 100% original including the carpet and seats.The arm rests and steering wheel were removed when he got it home because he didnt like them and I still have them in a box.I started fishing out of this boat when I was 6 and still use it today (I'm 49).I will try to post some pics when I can, I'm sure you would like to see it.

artfan1

Seaman
Art, I could hardly believe it when I ran across your post. My story is so similar to yours its scary. My dad also went down to the Ranger factory in 1972 and bought his first bass boat, I was 6 years old at the time.When he brought that boat home he was like a celebrity in our neighborhood! The picture of your dad even reminds me of my old man! Sadly he passed away a few years ago and I miss him terribly. He gave me that boat before he died, needless to say I have a very strong emotional attachment to it. My dad was what you would call a perfectionist so this boat was stored inside since new. The boat is all black including the trailer and 85HP mercury motor and is nearly 100% original including the carpet and seats.The arm rests and steering wheel were removed when he got it home because he didnt like them and I still have them in a box.I started fishing out of this boat when I was 6 and still use it today (I'm 49).I will try to post some pics when I can, I'm sure you would like to see it.

raisedina72RANGER - First of all, welcome. There are lots of amazing projects here on iBoats. Mine is pretty personal as you can witness and everyone has been super helpful. It's really neat to see your story is so similar to mine. Hey, maybe we ran into each other in the showroom at Ranger. :lol:

It's great to hear that your Ranger is in such great condition. One day, I hope to have this one restored back to factory (or better) condition. What a learning experience it has been. I would absolutely love to see photos of your Ranger when you have a chance. I've never seen a black 72 before. I'm interested in seeing how it looks with all the original factory features. Photos please.

I will post some pics as soon as I get time to take some that show the inside and outside of the boat. The only differences I see in our boats is the brand of motor and mine has a raised deck in front and an extra compartment in front of the console. I think that extra compartment could also be used as another livewell. I can't wait to see yours when its done! If you or anyone else has seen current pics of an original 72 anywhere I would love to see those too. I've searched all over the web and could never find one.

artfan1

Seaman
Wow raisedina72RANGER thanks for the photos.
For some reason I don't get notices when someone posts here, and I haven't checked in a few days. I just happened to check and see your photos.
Great looking Ranger. I've never seen a 72 with all those features. It's loaded. Glad to see it's in such nice condition too.

Thanks again for the photos. Such a nice looking boat.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Raised, I like all the pictures as well. We all love pictures of the forums. :thumb:

I see you have an anchor and anchor mate installed on the port side bow of your boat. But nothing on the stern end. How well does it hold the boat in place with just the one? I am still mentally debating whether to install a few or not myself.

Looks like the hull, especially the outside, is in really great condition. The shine is nice. :thumb:

TruckDrivingFool

Lieutenant Commander
Not ?ed to me but just like any single anchor you'll be held in place hovering in an arc. In my tiller boats that had anchor mates I had a 2nd one I'd throw out by hand from the stern and set to a cleat. The anchor mate just let me not have to get up to set the bow anchor.

Thanks for all the compliments. I've got the original receipt for that boat, its hard to believe it was only $2,500 new for boat,motor and trailer! Dad always said it belongs in a museum maybe it will end up there someday. As for the anchor, we always carry a spare and toss it out the back when we do that type of fishing. I'll stop hijacking your thread now,good luck on your project and don't give up! Ill check in once in a while to see how its going

Carpenter2486

Petty Officer 2nd Class
good day! i like your project! your a few steps ahead of me but i think im going to follow along! pick up some experiance watching you construct your bateau!