Glue or Not

Trains1938

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hi, I am beefing my transom up on my 1968 Glastron boat. Do you think I should some glue/sealant on the aluminum that I am going to use? The pieces I am going to use are 45"x4" and 45" x 20". Or can use just bolts with some sealant on them. Both pieces will be above the water line.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Why are you beefing the transom up? Does it have damage? It is going to be tough to get anyone here advising you how to beef a transom up, especially if it needs to be repaired.

NAT1VE

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Does not sound safe if you plan on mounting a larger HP motor on it. What does the boat have on it now, and the hulls Max. HP rating? Post some pictures if you can or elaborate.

I am by no means an expert, but common sense tells me that if your transom is only rated for say a "70hp" and you want to mount a 85hp or Larger. Putting some added support like aluminum or a sheet of plywood on top of the existing transom to"Beef it up" is a recipe for disaster. Especially if the existing transom is old and has never been replaced. Just my $.02

Last edited:

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Yup, typically, transoms either need to be replaced or they just need some minor cosmetic repairs. If you're "Beefing" it up due to major Flexing issues then it's NOT advisable or safe to do!!!!:eek::nono:

Tnstratofam

Commander
If it is the same boat from your other thread it is a really bad idea to try and beef up an allready compromised/soft transom. As was pointed out by several knowledgeable members. Not a good idea at all.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
IF, BIG IF, This boat is going to be used ONLY for fishing as you stated in your other thread, AND it's only going to have a SMALL Low Horsepower motor on it (10 hp or less) and IF the Transom only has minimal flex in it at the moment. then you could probably put these "Stop Gap" re-enforcement plates on the transom to "BEEF" it up and use it on small lakes and large ponds and be safe. I would Thru Bolt them and use epoxy as well.

Trains1938

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Yes, this is the same boat that I have talked about before. The boat is rated for a 50hp motor and that is what is on it. I guess I will rethink the idea. Thanks to all for the come back. Trains1938

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
With the transom that is on it currently, it is no longer rated for 50hp that you can be sure of, now if you want to use it for the season, I would probably pick up about 50 lb thrust electric motor and go out and go fishing, if you like the boat, then fix it over the off season and then put the 50 back on it, if you have no attachment to the boat, keep the motor, take everything you can off the hull for parts, junk it and start looking for another hull that is in better shape. If you want to fix it, we can help.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Yup, if you'll post better overall pics of the boat and transom, like we requested in your other thread, we can and will help you to replace the transom and make this boat seaworthy again, IF you decide that's the direction you want to go!!!:thumb::eyebrows:

Trains1938

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hi, I have tried to post pic's as requested. All I get is a unknown error. I have talked to Tony and does not know why I can't. The pic's that are on here of my boat Tony put them on using another web forum and I don't know how to do that sorry. Tranins

NAT1VE

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Try using postimage.org. Choose the size you wish to upload. Then click on the picture to get a full size image, right-click and copy the image URL. Paste into the link here on the forum.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Have you tried using a Free Photobucket account and then copying the IMG code into your iboats thread? That's what most of the members use.

Trains1938

Petty Officer 3rd Class
OK guys, I am going to fix it (with your help). I am going to wait until the season is over however. What is the first thing I need to do after I remove the motor? What material should I be getting?

Trains1938

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hi, I have not heard from you people since my last post, when I asked what materials I should be getting to fix my transom. Nat1ve, no I am not tring to put a bigger motor on it. Just want to use the one I have. I don't know anything about URL.s so I have not looked into that program. Woodonglas, no I have not tried to use photobucket. Where do I find it? Trains1938

Tnstratofam

Commander
Photobucket is a free photo hosting site on the internet. photobucket.com The use of the site is free up to a certain amount of storage. Most people wont go over the storage limit. Other than uploading your image through iboats this is the easiest way most of us post pics.

To post pics from the website.Upload your pictures to photobucket, then you can click on the images img link in the share pic section to the right of the pic. You will have saved the pic then you can post the pic in your posts here on iboats. Here is one of my boat.

Tnstratofam

Commander
As to what materials you will need that all depends on how much repairing the boat needs. Woodonglass has an excellent link in his signature on laying up stringers, decks and transoms. Once you dig into the transom area and get a look at the deck and stringers we will have a better idea of what all needs to be done.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
These two links should help get you started...

This one has Drawings and instructions on how to build the structural components.
Fabricating Decks, Stringers, and Transoms

The PDF File will download to your PC when you click on it and then you can open it to view all the things you'll need to do the work.

Attachments

• MaterialsList.pdf
    161.5 KB · Views: 0
Last edited: