Soft floor

jeep2nv92

Cadet
Ok boat experts. I'm an auto tech, so when it comes to the mechanical or electrical I can handle it, but I don't know where to go here. I have a 1983 Chris Craft/Viking 190SC tri-hull deck boat. I got it out yesterday and found out the tarp I had covering it had a hole in it. There is a soft spot in the floor, and I was thinking about making it a winter project. I can't find anything on the internet about this old boat. Do I have to split the boat to do the floor? It sure looks like I do. Anyone have experience with one of these old Chris Craft's??

Attachments

• Boat.jpg
    Boat.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 0
  • Boat 2.jpg
    Boat 2.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 0
  • Boat 3.jpg
    Boat 3.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 0

pckeen

Commander
Floors rot from the inside out, so if your floor is soft, your stringers are likely rotten too. And if the stringers are soft, there's a good chance you will need a transom replacement too. Take a look on the restoration threads, and read through some fiberglass boat restorations, to see what is involved. This is a very extensive project (figure 200 plus hours, plus $2000-$6000 in parts, depending on what you do.

Quantumn

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Unfortunate to hear that jeep2nv92, Chriscraft made some great vessels, I am a little biased here. But the good thing here is that if you have the time and resources, and it depends on your intended use of the 190SC, you can make her better than original. These projects are not for the weak at heart, but the results can be measured in baby steps with the final result being something you can depend on for a lifetime and be extremely proud of. Always loved the concept of deck boats, sort of what my resto is the predecessor of.

Last edited:

jeep2nv92

Cadet
Well, I was looking at maybe picking up a used boat on Craigslist, but I might get in the same situation with the floor or other structural issues. This boat I rebuilt the engine and outdrive a few years ago, so I know its mechanically good. And everything in my price range look a little sketchy. If I redo my floor, I'll have a solid boat all around.