Figuring out gauges

JoshOnt

Chief Petty Officer
I am planning to start work on wiring for gauges at the end of the month so I figured I should order them soon. I am going to order from xxxxxxx since that seems to be the only reasonably priced site that is in Canada so I don't have to pay international shipping. I am having trouble figuring out which tach to order. I am thinking the 68374P from the set linked. Will it work with a 1977 Mercury 50 HP? Also what ones would be included in the 4 set?

Mod EDIT: Please remember that Iboats is an online retailer, and posting links to their competitiors isn't allowed, even to avoid international shipping. The forum is free, as is the advice, but respect their decision to redact competitors info

Last edited by a moderator:

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Josh, most marine tachs are designed today to work with most any marine engine. You simply select the switch on the back for the number of pulses from the stator and that's all it takes. So the face design is totally up to your opinion... JMHO!

JoshOnt

Chief Petty Officer
Josh, most marine tachs are designed today to work with most any marine engine. You simply select the switch on the back for the number of pulses from the stator and that's all it takes. So the face design is totally up to your opinion... JMHO!
Okay didn't know if there were different ones for 4 stroke and 2 stroke, fond some that said 4 cycle so that is what made me question it.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Okay didn't know if there were different ones for 4 stroke and 2 stroke, fond some that said 4 cycle so that is what made me question it.

And that IS a good question being 4 cycle. I would email the manufacture and ask then about their tach and what setting you should use to get the correct setting and answer.