2006 Stingray bench seat mounting

raefon

Recruit
I recently purchased a 2006 Stingray 220 LX and some of the screws were missing from the bench seat at the back of the boat...from the hinges and the brackets that mount the seat base to the deck/floor. I found what I thought were the missing screws, but after looking closer at the seat and the screws that do exist, I am not sure and don't want to damage anything.

The seat has a double hinge that is attached to the bottom of the seating surface and the base with machine screws (some are missing), but the screws that I found in one of the cup holders have a larger head on them and look like sheet metal or wood screws with a rounded head. The brackets that hold the seat base to the deck appear to be the large head sheet metal/wood screw, but some of them are the smaller head machine screws like what I found in the seat hinges.

I suspect someone was trying to put everything back together and got confused regarding which screws go where, but I want to be sure before I try to use the sheet metal/wood screws in the deck and ruin or damage something. Can someone tell me if all the screw should be the machine type of if the screws that attach the seat base to the deck are a sheet metal/wood type? My concern is that someone may have picked up something they could make work and installed the wrong type of screws in the base brackets.

Thank you.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
raefon, :welcome: to iboats. Nice to have you aboard...

Your question is really hard to answer because without pictures it could be either type screw. Machine screws have to have either a nut on the back side or a "T" nut installed for them to work correctly. A sheet metal screw is usually used for thin metal attachment but in some woodworking application they can work well also. Wood screws can be used in thicker wood applications to secure wood parts together. So either can be used in different situations. But knowing how your seats are attached or supposed to be attached is questionable not being there to see for myself... If there are holes there already, try the machine type screw first to see if there are "T" threads there. If that doesn't seem to work, use sheet metal screws and see if they pull things together tightly. If not, move to the wood screws. That is just a WAG on my part... :noidea: