1962 Traveler Windshield Replacement

Far2hip

Seaman
Although that Plexus stuff did a great job clearing up the plexiglass windshield, it still has that big crack in it so I want to get a replacement as close to the original design as possible. I have contacted Retro Boats and they seem to be one of the only places around the web that I can find for this windshield. Does anyone have any feedback on this company at all? Any suggestions as to anywhere else to look for a windshield for this thing? Thanks!!

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
On a 62 you are probably going to have to have one made, or find one that will fit off a newer boat and modify to work on yours, most of the resto companies are pretty good, if they have a pattern to go by to build the new window, but I know they are not cheap.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
We have a member who made his own replacement windshield and it looks much like your pic below. Try a search for "replacing windshield". I think it's in the resto section.

fetch

Last edited:

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
The secret to building your own windshield is being able to control the heat to allow the plexi to become soft enough to bend without crazing the panel, I have done it a couple of times over the years, but it is not easy.

GA_Boater

I made a windshield for mine. It isn't that hard- and a lot cheaper than having one made. Use Lexan, and avoid heating it all together- Without the proper equipment it will be next to impossible to get a good result with Plexi... Ask me how I know :)

Here is my post on the subject-

http://forums.iboats.com/forum/boat...epair/591237-a-new-windshield-for-an-old-boat

Forgot about your top-notch job, andgott. Thanks for the link.

Where did you find the Lexan for those looking to copy your method? I might need it some day. :rolleyes:

Far2hip

Seaman
Thanks guys. That forming of the Alexander seems like a great option but I wonder if it will give the same top to bottom rounded effect as the original shield? One of the reasons this Polaris really grabs my eye is the super clean lines and proportions with those subtle curves placed here and there. Just enough stylizing to make it not look boxy but not to the extreme with the wing tips and such. Know what I mean? One of those curves that looks really cool on the boat is that slight bubble effect to the windshield. Subtle, but VERY cool looking and I want to replicate that. Because the Alexander bends like that so easily with a 1/8" sheet I can probably do it by extending the bottom a bit and bowing it into place. I am going to try that method. Thanks!! But first is the interior and God knows I have enough of the right sewing machines to do THAT part, lol. :)

BillP

Captain
USD Plastics in Davie (Ft Lauderdale), Fl makes old boat windshields from plexi and has some in stock. The shields are duplicates of the originals and rounded like the old WaterBonet brand. You can check their boat list to see if they have yours. They can make one from the old one or possibly match it with one they already have. I'm planning on having them make one for my 1965 Cobia soon. Price is $450. I'm dropping my old shield off for them to dupliplicate next time I pass through Ft. Laud.

veebus52

Cadet
I know exactly what you are talking about. I have the same situation on my 1963 Red Fish, which looks very similar to your boat. The curved windshield really caught my eye. Making a new windshield out of Lexan most likely won't give you the top to bottom curve as that will be compound curve and probably must be molded to get. My windshield is so crazed that polish won't bring it back. When the time comes I'm just going to pony up for a reproduction.

GA_Boater

Thanks guys. That forming of the Alexander seems like a great option but I wonder if it will give the same top to bottom rounded effect as the original shield? One of the reasons this Polaris really grabs my eye is the super clean lines and proportions with those subtle curves placed here and there. Just enough stylizing to make it not look boxy but not to the extreme with the wing tips and such. Know what I mean? One of those curves that looks really cool on the boat is that slight bubble effect to the windshield. Subtle, but VERY cool looking and I want to replicate that. Because the Alexander bends like that so easily with a 1/8" sheet I can probably do it by extending the bottom a bit and bowing it into place. I am going to try that method. Thanks!! But first is the interior and God knows I have enough of the right sewing machines to do THAT part, lol. :)

Alexander? Polaris? Doesn't modern technology make our lives better? LOL

The "bubble" curve is harder to replicate. I don't know if extending the "Alexander" would allow a bubble to be formed. Worth a try though.

BillP

Captain
I made a typo in the supplier name...it's UPD in Davie, not USD. These senior moments are happening way too often!!!

Far2hip

Seaman
GA Boater, LMAO!!! Dang spell check!! Somehow it got Alexander out of Lexan, LOL! But Polaris is correct! It's the model of Traveler boat!!

BillP, I am going to search them out!! Far less expensive than my other option! But, Retro Boats gives you a new frame and new bottom molding but I just wonder if it's going to be of the same build quality as the frame that is on there now. This thing is friggin SOLID. The previous owner got a little happy with the snaps but it doesn't look bad really. And if I make a top for it I can pretty much chose a spot and there will be a snap mounted there, lol.

Far2hip

Seaman
Well I broke out the buffer, compound, and wax/sealer yesterday and the gel coat really came alive nicely!! The hull came out beautiful!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 0