1981 Bellboy Bandit Saga

Redrig

Master Chief Petty Officer
Very nice work there ! and nice fishies too.

I have the same seats as you , but mine have these ovals cut into the bases for storage under there probably a 6 x 18ish oval with a curtain to hide whats in there.

you should throw some in there for ease. I can post up some pics of my bases if you want.

Good work man , those boats gonna be a beauty when you are done.

NAT1VE

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thanks Red! Yes, please if you could do that, I would really appreciate it. I was trying to figure out a way to store stuff under them, so that is perfect! I will also post the picture of my CG plate as soon as I pick-up the boat.

Redrig

Master Chief Petty Officer
Sorry bro , this is a couple weeks overdue , my boat is a couple hours away from where I live .This gives you an idea of the storage access I mentioned. I would definately add something like this , but I am crazy over storage cuz my boat has none

Last edited:

NAT1VE

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thanks again Rig! Helps a bunch, nearly started cutting, and now I have a better idea of how large I should make the cutout. Appreciate you posting that!

NAT1VE

Petty Officer 2nd Class
An update on the progress of the vessel. I was ripped off by a guy here in Oregon on the fiberglass work, complete waste of money. He talked a good game, I was fooled. I gave him cash which in turn he gave me a boat with shotty glass work and half complete. I've been pretty wore out with it, the boat was sitting in the driveway in queued with my other projects.

recently I mustered up the strength, this time I did my due diligence. Found a local Marina/boat shop, Pacific Power Boats. Here in Portland,Oregon. These guys are legit and have been around for as long as I can remember. They made me a fair estimate on the work to be done, and repairs from the BS work that was done by the wozzbock. I have been OTR road quite a bit lately, with barely enough time to even get it down there. Retail stores and companies all gearing up the holidays, means lots of truckers going over the road. Oh the fun Life of a semi-truck driver... I thought I would share the work that was done, and the lesson of having the work done by someone other than a professional with a reputable business. Or yourself for that matter, I would have done it myself if I had vacation time. I am a workaholic though, I love making money and driving my Peterbilt.

The Floor........:eek::faint2: Now ive never replaced the stringers or a transom before, but in my older Bellboy I did replace it's floor and know the jest of fiberglass. This guy used Woven Roving for layup....I understand thats not the worst, but it certainly doesnt make things easy for corners. Also, no sign of PB anywhere for fillets!!

IMG_2276.jpg

IMG_2272.jpg

IMG_2267.jpg

The ski-locker cutout, all the SS screws stripped without any 4200 or expoy on exposed wood cuts or in the drill holes.
IMG_2264.jpg
IMG_2269.jpg

NAT1VE

Petty Officer 2nd Class
And now......for the transom......This one hurts the most, because of the money spent on the piece of wood. It's a shame what happened, and very unfortunate there are few people out there running their own business that take pride in their work. Today it rarely exists, small business owners actually caring about their work, instead more about getting the cash from you and screwing people.

The transom. Yes it was "installed" but I would be afraid to mount my motor on it, as well how soon it would rot out. Especially with all the liquid sunshine we get here in Portland and the Oregon coast. This boat will see a lot of use, its a utility boat. I am not trying to win a beauty contest. It will be used, that is what I bought it for. Did I mention the guy didn't even install the cap/splashwell? Enough of my Ranting, here are the pictures.

My little helper, she even asked why it wasn't glued back together. :lol:

IMG_2277.jpg

IMG_2271.jpg

How the transom was "Tabbed" in, no PB or fillet material for the edges.
IMG_2270.jpg

Yes, that is a void you can clearly see on the corner. WTFF!?

IMG_2307.jpg

IMG_2311.jpg

A part of the floor-transom, not glassed. Voids everywhere! I went over so many spots like this with my West System epoxy. I need to order some paint for the floor, something thats thick, with non-skid, and can help fill in some light spots. any recommendations?

IMG_2309.jpg

IMG_2310.jpg

jbcurt00

Staff member
wozzbock, I'll have to hang on to it.

Glad it worked out in the end. Paying someone else to do boat work is often an expensive learning experience, many have paid for bad work and found iboats after.

NAT1VE

Petty Officer 2nd Class
wozzbock, I'll have to hang on to it.

Glad it worked out in the end. Paying someone else to do boat work is often an expensive learning experience, many have paid for bad work and found iboats after.

lol. I really meant "Wazzock", my auto-correct, changed it. Still pretty funny word too. I am glad that its going to work out now, and I can actually be excited to get the boat back, instead of wondering when I will get it back, and if the work is going to be sound.

jbcurt00

Staff member
Wazzock, ok. That clears that up, makes much more sense now..... :facepalm:

Made the title change

NAT1VE

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Needing some advice on my floor issue. As far as prep work. Can I lay some CSM and west system epoxy over what has been done? After "roughing" it up and cleaning with acetone. Afterwards I would like to gelcoat paint the floor too. Help would be appreciated, need to order stuff before I get the boat back. That way I can just continue on this mission as soon as I pick it up. Thanks guys!

Last edited:

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Nope. Epoxy and CSM and Gelcoat are not compatible. You use Polyester resin with CSM and Gelcoat

NAT1VE

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Nope. Epoxy and CSM and Gelcoat are not compatible. You use Polyester resin with CSM and Gelcoat

10/4 WOG. Was needing some advice from a knowledgable "okie" :joyous: Any recommendation on polyester resin; West marine polyester resin good enough? To start this project, rough up the woven roving surface, clean with acetone. Lay CSM with poly resin and cover with the gelcoat paint, correct?

Last edited:

NAT1VE

Petty Officer 2nd Class
No Title

Hey everyone. Still have the boat, and still working on it. Hopefully she will be ready by the end of May for her maiden voyage.

The rear cap is all glassed in. The outboard has been thoroughly gone through and is being prepped for paint.

I purchased new back-back seats and one captains chair with pedestal. I have been doing a lot of painting and interior work. Here is an update of pictures, from the cap all the way to present day.

photo242539.jpeg

photo242540.jpeg

photo242541.jpeg

photo242542.jpeg

photo242543.jpeg

attach10164602.jpeg

Attachments

• photo242544.jpeg
    photo242544.jpeg
    95.7 KB · Views: 2
  • attach10164601.jpeg
    attach10164601.jpeg
    95.7 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:

NAT1VE

Petty Officer 2nd Class
No Title

After the rear portion of the cap was installed, I had to send it back to storage. About 4 weeks ago I pulled it back home to start doing work.

photo242546.jpeg

photo242545.jpeg

Attachments

• attach10164604.jpeg
    attach10164604.jpeg
    63 KB · Views: 0
  • photo242547.jpeg
    photo242547.jpeg
    61.2 KB · Views: 0
  • photo242548.jpeg
    photo242548.jpeg
    66.5 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

NAT1VE

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have many more photos to share, but I need to upload more to my photobucket. Stay tuned, more to come.

NAT1VE

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hey everyone, back at it again. Actually she is back on the water, and I thought I would share. This was the starting of the interior, ripped out all the orange vinyl. Used Jamestown Totaltread, and paint. Hands down the best product out there as well their paint is amazing too. Bilgekote was used for the Bilge and wow!

IMG_3680.jpg

IMG_3773.jpg

IMG_3774.jpg

IMG_3806.jpg

NAT1VE

Petty Officer 2nd Class
More of the interior, everything was sent off to the upholsters.

IMG_3949.jpg

IMG_3952.jpg

IMG_3950.jpg

IMG_3951.jpg

NAT1VE

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Stained the dash wood, new gauges and new wiring. I'll take a better picture of the Newer wiring, I installed a Blueseas fuse block w/ negative buss. Marine grade wire and all connections are using waterproof connections. Photos shown are me making sure all the gauges lights work. As you can see my "Accesory" jumper wires are connected. Those are now hooked up to their corresponding accessories. As well color coded wires.

photo uploading

Last edited:

NAT1VE

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Keelshield Install, a lot more simple than I thought. After the install, I used Lifeseal around the whole guard, to ensure lifelong adhesion.