Advise, Encourage or just Laugh

TotalNoob

Recruit
DISCLAIMER: Although we live in Michigan, my husband and I have no experience with boats at all!

A couple of years ago, we bought a Radisson canoe and found that we really enjoyed being on the water, fishing, etc, but put a ten year old, two adults, giant battery for the trolling motor, fishing gear, life jackets and a small cooler in there, and it's just ridiculous. We discussed buying a used bass boat, however we decided to wait a year or two because we are in the middle of an expensive remodel right now. Through chance two days ago I came across this gem for next to nothing, and brought it home as a surprise birthday gift for my dh.

Boat2.jpg

After a lot of online researching, I believe it's a 1970 'Scamp', by Geneva Boats (14'), and the motor is a 1959 Johnson Super SeaHorse 35 hp.
The motor needs some minor work, and we are dealing with those issues as I type, but some input on the boat itself would be much appreciated.

We yanked the carpet out and sure enough, the fiberglass deck has a lot of cracks, which leads me to believe that the stringers need to be replaced. We haven't ruled out doing this, but it's not something that we have the time or cash for right now. Our temporary solution is to patch the existing cracks in the floor to prevent further damage, lay a piece of treated plywood down and attach the seats to that. Is this a terrible idea?

Attachments

• Boat2.jpg
    Boat2.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 0

Bondo

Staff member
Our temporary solution is to patch the existing cracks in the floor to prevent further damage, lay a piece of treated plywood down and attach the seats to that. Is this a terrible idea?

Ayuh,..... Probably,..... Though I've seen worse done,....

Welcome Aboard,..... It'll get ya on the water, just make sure ya got yer safety equipment, like Pfd's,....

Yer probably gonna be on smaller inland lakes, 'n ponds,..??

Post up some pictures of the decks, 'n other trouble spots,....

We'll see what ya got to work with,..... ;)

Teamster

Lieutenant Commander
Make sure you have a title before yous spend a bunch of money on it,............

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Of course the best thing to do is fix the rotted wood. But we've all started somewhere and I can understand the tight money and schedule. But do be careful with wherever you boat because there are things I can see that need work done just from the picture. Don't put off too long the proper fixes. And do understand that rotted structures do not add to any type of support and do add a lot of weight that will tax the engine over time... JMHO!

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral
Well since you're a total newb I'll take it you don't know the dangers of taking an old rotten boat out on the water, maybe you should read this first:
http://forums.iboats.com/forum/boat...-repair/640081-16-fiberglass-tri-hull-rebuild

If your main deck and stringers are rotten, your transom more than likely is too. If your boat has floatation foam, it's probably water logged adding useless and unwanted weight to your boat. If your foam is saturated your boat will sink like a rock (maybe faster).

You paid next to nothing for that boat because it needs lots of , work, time, and money put into it. Boats aren't cheap, they're a luxury item that require time and money to make them seaworthy.

Since you're a family of 3 with a 10 yr. old, I'd strongly suggest parking the boat until you can find the time and money to make it seaworthy.

http://www.glangler.com/_blog/Great...Adrift_and_Thanking_God_for_a_Coleman_Cooler/

64osby

Admiral
Do you have any friends that are knowledgeable on older boats and the issues you might be (are) facing?

Or you might add your location, Michigan is a pretty large state. You may find there is a member here close by that might be willing to take a look.

Cheap 1st boats can be great, fun and last a long time. We used ours for 8 or 9 years. But you have to make sure it is safe and seaworthy for everyone that is in it and also others on the lake around you.

oba97

Petty Officer 1st Class
Where in Michigan are you? I'm in midland just starting my own renovation on my 15'. You can look-up my thread searching for yar-craft Yankee. I had similar situation and questions as you but ultimately decided to do the rebuild. It's a little scary but I have had some great help here. I figured that it doesn't cost much to get started demo (I have the tools already) and I can pick away at the rebuild as time and money allows. Good luck!