My New Old Boat - 1974 Seaswirl Cascade

Status
Not open for further replies.

ericamity

Cadet
No Title

So, like I said, we finally finished the boat up and got her in the water. But now there are some things we're discovering that are holding up the train a little bit.

The floor is all good. The first trip out though we noticed gas here and there on the floor so the gas lines were leaking in a few places. We knew the actual cap with the connector was leaking so we replaced that before we went out a second time. So far so good.

But when we got to the dock and I plugged the line into the new connector, it was leaking. So there were two leaks. One in the cap itself and then the connector was bad. Well, we thought we'd be fine anyway and headed out on the river. Within about five minutes we were dead in the water. LAME! Some nice guy towed us in. Thank goodness for nice people otherwise we'd have had another adventure as we floated past the dock!

So I replaced the rest of the gas line / connector stuff and then today I was going to start up the ETEC with the hose attached. I backed down the driveway and heard a terrible sound! I knew exactly what I had done. I hadn't raised the $#*#&$(*&! motor. I checked the skeg and the prop and unfortunately for me, the prop was damaged. The skeg was a bit scratched up on the bottom, but not too terrible. Maybe a very slight bend at the end. But the prop itself looks like, well, here are some pictures.

So, I have a few questions. I want to be TOTALLY prepared from now on. No more stupidity.

Can I use this prop or should I get a new one? I'm leaning toward getting another one as this one seems to be a little bent. I could have the dealer repair this one a little and just use it as a spare.

I want to get a kicker motor up and running on this boat. I want to be prepared like I said. I have an 8HP 1992 Yamaha and I also have an even older 2HP Yamaha. Both run. I'm thinking the 8HP would be the better fit. It's pretty heavy. Around 60lbs. I think.

Can I install a bracket on the transom of this boat? I want to get a kicker on there and be prepared whether it be to troll or to save myself from my utter stupidity. Can anyone recommend a good bracket and give any advice for installation?

Thanks. And here's the boat before the motor died. Notice the pretty floor? ;)

Please don't call me an idiot! Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• photo240475.JPG
    photo240475.JPG
    62.6 KB · Views: 4
  • photo240476.JPG
    photo240476.JPG
    60.5 KB · Views: 4
  • photo240477.JPG
    photo240477.JPG
    61.6 KB · Views: 4
  • photo240478.JPG
    photo240478.JPG
    83.5 KB · Views: 4
  • photo240479.JPG
    photo240479.JPG
    74.2 KB · Views: 4
  • photo240480.JPG
    photo240480.JPG
    107.5 KB · Views: 4
  • photo240481.JPG
    photo240481.JPG
    247.5 KB · Views: 4

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Get a couple of hammers, one for hitting one for back up and beat the outer edge back into alignment. Use a file to dress the edge back to a fine smooth line. use wet dry sandpaper to really smooth her up then wipe her down with acetone and spray her with some rustoleum epoxy spray paint and your back in business.
263376_0513_ATO_11oz_EpoxyPaint_Aerosol_Black.ashx

Add one more member to the Pacific Northwest 70's Seaswirl TriHull club! I have no idea of the model name, and my hull seems to be unique--one big central seating are, no up-front seating area, just 4 seats back-to-back with a big open area between the transom and the 2nd row of seats. Looks like it will seat 6 easily and comfortably.

Yeah, I know this is off topic here, so I'll just go start the Seaswirl TriHull club, well, after I actually get my boat on the water with the new rebuilt Johnson SPL 112.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.