1983 Tri sonic transom repair

themoffer701

Recruit
Hello,

I am new to this forum and have a project that I am starting. I have a 1983 tri-sonic TRS17019M83D that has a weak transom. I need help determining what I'm dealing with. In one of the pics the "cap" over the transom is cracked all the way through and looks like some kind of wood but it is too hard to be wood. I can tap on known wood by it and they sound completely different. I assume that it is fiberglass of some kind. Also the outer skin looks to be just painted wood that has become soft in the transom area but gets strong again about 1-1.5 feet in on both sides. I looked inside the skin and found the transom rotted. I seen enough to know that i need to cut out all the rotted wood and replaced with epoxied and glassed plywood, but my was wanting some pointers or directions on repairing the outer skin and "Cap"..... thank you in advanced

photos can be seen here

http://postimg.org/gallery/pamh3qzo/58fce9e9/

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,.... It appears yer gonna have to cut out a chunk of the splashwell, across the back, at the transom, just to dig out the rotten wood, 'n fit the new wood in,....
The tow tower or whatever the pipes are, are gonna be a problem, 'n will need to come out too,...
Cut out a 6" or so strip, 'n glass it back in, after the wood is renewed,.....

themoffer701

Recruit
Thank you for the advice but what of the "outer skin." Should I just glass the transom all the way out to the other outer skin?