Painting my Starcraft

Starcraftobsession

Seaman Apprentice
i have an 18 foot Starcraft holiday that I am restoring and am starting the painting process. The previous owner put a healthy coat on it when he painted it quite a few years ago. I have sanded it down and it is a rough sand. I have a few spots that got down to aluminum but the majority of the boat still has paint. It doesn't need to be a picture perfect job but do want the paint to stick for a few years. So what would you do? I think I should shoot the whole boat with a layer of rust. Etching primer and then some sort of rust. Paint. I would probably do a couple coats of paint and then thinking of putting a clear coat on it. Will this work? I plan on spraying it all on as I have an airless paint sprayer. Thanks everyone! Also what kind of paint should I use?

cptrick3

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I once painted an aluminum boat with something called Dduralux. I rolled it on then went over it with a brush but I'm sure you could spray it on. Designed to go over bare aluminum or paint. Also works below the waterline.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
To get the best answers, this should probably be posted in the restoration forums or at least the Starcraft section under the restoration forums. This is not a "General Boating" Question.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Starcraftobsession, what you're about to do has so many answers. It really depends on what type finish you want. And before you do anything, remember the finish is totally dependent on the prep work. If you want a very nice shiny finish, the priming effort has to be well done. Don't expect the paint to cover over any imperfections...because it won't. If you can see or feel any issues with the primer, it will be shown in the final paint as well. If you really want a beautiful quality finish, then prepare for it. But let us know exactly what you really want and we can guide you to that outcome...

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Here's what a lot of our members have used...Paint Your Boat with Tractor Paint...Say What!!!
eek.gif

Starcraftobsession

Seaman Apprentice
GM280....My Holiday is a 1965. It has dents and inperfections but I like that and it shows its age. I don't want to take that away from it. But I do want a nice paint job on it that will stick for a few years. I want it to look really nice from a far but yet show its age up close. So what do you think I should?

zool

Captain
StarCraft, you really need to post some pics, so the guys here can see what you see...

One of the better ways to make sure the paint doesn't fail prematurely, aside from contamination free surface, is to remove all hardware off the hull, or as mush as possible, just taping around cleats and lights is common, but bad practice on a boat, water tends to get behind the tape lines, and lifts the paint at the edge...

skip the clear too, doesn't do well on boats...

Starcraftobsession

Seaman Apprentice
Ok you guys talked me in to it. I want the paint to last and right now the entire boat is gutted so this would be the best time to do a paint job that looks nice and will last for many years. So I am gonna be removing all paint and getting down to bare aluminum. Couple questions for you guys, first any recommendations for paint remover? Also I have watched some videos online and I have noticed everyone uses and plastic scraper. Would it be ok to use small metal scraper? I know for sure that there are at least two coats of different color paint on the boat. The bottom color is a yellowish which makes me believe that is the original paint. It's a 1965 so it's been on there for 50 years. Any suggestions for paint removal would be greatly appreciated!

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
I brushed topside enamel on my 14' Starcraft, and it went on very well (flows well, no brush marks) -- trailered, freshwater. I get some chipping/scratches, but the usual trailering stuff. Touch up is easy (as in Easypoxy, come to think of it). I used an off the shelf automotive primer and sanded carefully. Pretty easy job.

(btw -- any way I could get a measurement of the flat surface of your transom -- motor mounting surface? Thanks. Considering another project.)

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
As long as the paint that's on there now is adhering well you don't have to remove it. Clean it well with a good degreaser and then lightly sand and wash down with acetone and then prime and paint with the paint of choice. Any BARE spots should be primed with Self Etching primer and then primed with the Paints Primer.

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
+1^^. I probably wasn't as selective as I might have been with primer, but held up OK (primer or bare spots). Choice of spray or brush probably dependent on what you are best at, too. I do both, but brushing on large surfaces sometimes seems preferable to me (and no taping, overspray, etc.). And I'm pretty sure I had a can of topside paint, so that probably had something to do with the choice. Hull was factory paint, pretty well worn down.