'76 MFG Fishin Caprice II Center Console Rebuild

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
That's The reinforcement for your KEEL!! Kinda Important!! Keep doing what you're doing and it'll be Great!!! Are you Gunna be Foaming the Boat??

Shakedownscott

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thanks WOG, that solves that mystery :joyous:. Yes, I am going to be foaming the boat. Just got the foam delivered yesterday.

Shakedownscott

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Got another couple of questions.

When you cut the 1708 to glass in the stringers how, how much do you overlap at the ends? I found that if you leave it long it buckles when you wrap it from the stringer to the bulkhead. When the boat was made originally they had one long piece that was wrapped around from one stringer to the other. It was buckled all over the place with big gaps under it. This didn't seem right to me. I cut these pieces so they but together at the joint with no gaps or buckling. What do you guys think?

Another question has to do with the space along side the middle stringer. There is a big gap here, not exactly sure how to fill this without putting a ton of PB in there. Right now I am thinking about putting either a strip of wood or foam in there with PB and glassing over that. The boat manufacturer just threw the glass over the gap leaving this open. Gap gets much bigger than this as you go forward.

Shakedownscott

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thinking now that I can just use PB to radius both sides of the slot and then run the 1708 over the PB

Shakedownscott

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have been putting quite a few hours in on the boat. I have all of the stringers and bulkheads installed and bedded in. Most of the fillets are done, this has been really time consuming. Been getting better at it as I go. I layed 1708 on some of the stringers. Looks ok but found I need to sand the fillets smoother so I don't get air bubbles after it sets up.

Weather is going to be cold and rainy most of the week, doesn't look like I am going to get much done on the boat. Next week taking some needed vacation time to go striper fishing. Looks like the boat is on hold for a little bit.

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Making great progress !
I usually take an old 4-1/2" grinding disc and bend it to fit the radius of the fillets and knock the nubs down before laying the glass ..
Good luck with the fishing ! I've been wanting to wet a line for over a month now and just can't seem to find the time ... But then it's been raining pretty much every day down here ...

Shakedownscott

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thanks for the tip, I will give that a shot. I was thinking of wrapping a dowel with sandpaper but this sounds easier.

Hope you can get a chance to go fishing soon. I think sometimes you have to make time for fishing. I know if I don't commit to go fishing it just doesn't happen. Summers go buy and then you realize that you never did the fishing you wanted too. I am no one to talk though, I seem to always put work over fun.

Shakedownscott

Petty Officer 2nd Class
After a short break to get a little fishing in and taking care of a lot of fall chores, I have some time to get back to the boat project.

It has taken a real long time to get all the fillets done. A little more to go before they are complete. I found out that its much easier to go slow and get them right instead of having to fix them by sanding.

I have this one area left where there is a big step next to the stringer. It gets wider in some spots and narrower towards the bow. I filled a small section in the bow with PB but it would take a ton of PB to fill all the gaps.

Can I fill this with either plywood or foam? Any suggestions on how to tab the stringers in this area?

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
You could probably fill it it some with some wood strips .. But I would still leave about a 1/4" under it to fill in with pb and fillets ...

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
Hey Shakedown,
Nice work! Maybe tab one side of that pc. of wood. Let it set up. Then you can push the pb up against it {make it thick}. That way you have something to push it against {pb} so it won't roll thru. Then finish your tabbing.
Just a thought.

Shakedownscott

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thanks for the ideas, I will cut strips from some leftover plywood scraps.

KC not exactly sure I follow your idea for tabbing it in first?

Right now I am thinking to add some PB at the bottom and then push the wood strip into it a bit. Then go over it with more PB to smooth it out and then lay glass over that. Not sure if there is a better way or not?

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
I'd use some Blue or Pink Foam pieces and fit em in that gap and then PB Fillet the edges. That way you have a soft bottom on the hull and support for the fillets and the glass tabbings.;)

Shakedownscott

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Decided to go with some pink foam strips. I had a small piece kicking around and it was much easier to form into shape than wood.

Here is the gap before:

I dry fit foam along the gap.

Mixed a somewhat thin batch of PB so it could run into all of the gaps, also added some 1/4" chopped fiberglass.

I filled the bottom of the gap with a pretty thick layer of PB. Then I smushed the foam into the PB making sure it gushed around all of the edges. Not sure if this was the best way to fix this area, but at least its done. This another one of those spots that I spent more time thinking about how to fix it than actually working on it.

Thanks for all of the suggestions and advice.

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
That should do just fine. My perspective was off regarding my prior comment. Looks good to me!

Shakedownscott

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Looks like the foam turned out to be a bad idea. Went out this morning to look at it and all of the foam had melted away.

It seems that the PB hardened ok but the foam melted out on the inside. This is going to be a mess to clean up. Going to have to grind out the top layer of PB then wipe out the goop with acetone and grind out until I get back to good glass.

I believe this is one of those one step forward two steps back moments :facepalm:

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Kerrrrapppp!!! I didn't think about the Poly!!! with Epoxy it doesn't matter!!! Poly WILL eat foam unless you put clear packing tape on it. I am SOOOOOO sorry I didn't tell you that!!!! If you want to try again just cut the pieces and then apply some clear packing tape to the foam so the PB wont' EAT it!!! @**$*#*@*#*$**@

I Keep telling everybody I'm just and Old Dumb Okie and this is a Great example of it!!! Please accept my apology for causing you this aggravation.:facepalm::blue::doh::wacko::dispirited:

Shakedownscott

Petty Officer 2nd Class
No need to apologize WOG, I appreciate all the help you have given so far.

OK so Poly eats foam, good to know. Not sure if I will try it again with tape later, I am a bit gun-shy about foam right now .

The mess is worse than I thought. After you break through the hard outer shell, the inside is real sticky. I scraped all that I could out of there but way to sticky to grind it without making more of a mess. Acetone just smears doesn't really dissolve it.

Gonna let it sit for a while to see if it hardens and gets easier to grind.

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
Oooo Carp! Time for a Bubble drink and a walk away. I missed that too. I'm so epoxy I forgot. The procees was correct to mundo. I think for the next run although it'ds alot of pb...just run it flush then come back and make the filet. Unless you are able to do it while it sets up. Alternatively fill the void with pretreated woods/shims to fit then fill with bp. Just get the air out...that's what lets da h20 in.

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
I had the chance to let you know about the poly foam problem ... It slipped my mind until after the deed was done ...
Sorry SD I guess we let this one slip through our fingers .. :facepalm: :sorry: