1981 Sea Sprite worth fixing?

SeaSpriter

Recruit
Hello all!

New to the forum and new to boating (sort of).

My buddy and I have recently been given the opportunity to take on quite a project, and I would like to know if this community things its doable - or more importantly worth our time. Him and I have experience with rebuilding and restoring cars, but have never tackled a boat before. His Dad has experience in boats and has given us direction on how to determine if we want to fix this thing up for next year, but he said make a post anyways.

So for starters, we might be getting a 16 ft 1981 Sea Sprite for Free...trailer included. We are prepared to make FREE cost $500 bucks or more if needed.

Info on the boat: I don't have much. Hasn't been in the water since 2008, but hull is in good shape. Engine turned over last year, but havent tried it this year. Supposedly the outdrive will not engage - but we havent tested that either.

Will need a total interior remodel.

So today we hooked up a battery. Gauges came to life, can hear the starter turning, forgot to check aux functions as engine condition was our first mission.

Luckily with mechanical steering the prop turns with ease, and the throttle does too. Only thing that did not seem to work was the trim. Neither the button on the throttle or the one on the dash would raise/lower the prop. We could hear the mechanism working but not moving it. Engine was not on for this.

Inline 4 carb motor - motor work is no problem for us, but we have no experience with the outdrive system. It may need to be replaced for all we know. We know that main seal is shot and will need replacement.

So...here is a link to pics that were taken last year. Let me know what you think. IM warning you the boat is not pretty. But I kinda want to make it pretty.

http://www.boatangel.org/photos/NL48316-1981-SeaSprite-16ft-wTrailer-photos-ShelbyTownship-MI/

Please be honest. Any and all feedback is welcome!

bennettnb

Recruit
Looks like a fun project! I'm in the same boat (no pun intended)!! Getting the bugs worked out one by one and it should be a sweet little boat.

mattsmall1972

Petty Officer 1st Class
Let me be straight with you: it's not worth it. I did this same exact project in a 1978 Cobia with the OMC 120 / Stringer 400. The trim motor is all but impossible to replace, and that alone will be $200 in good working condition. The parts for the stringer are expensive if available. It's not that they are bad systems, but they just aren't available in the same way that Mercury systems are. $500 is not going to get you a good boat in this case. Take your $500 and buy a nice aluminum boat like a Jon boat or Starcraft. Find a good outboard and put it on that aluminum boat. Have fun. Sell this boat to someone else for parts.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
$500 is not going to get you on the water, if it is free, I would take it, take every good part on it and sell the parts as well as the trailer and use that money with your $500 and look for something in better shape that needs less work, I can almost bet there is a soft floor in spots and possibly a transom that is going to need to be replaced. In addition the motor is obsolete and you won't be able to find much in the way of parts for that motor. Sell it for parts, or strip it down and sell the parts, cut the hull up and haul it off in pieces, I have done that with a few "free boats" I have got over the years.

Tnstratofam

Commander
:welcome:to the best place on the web for info on boat ownership and boat repair. You are getting spot on advice from mattsmall and MT. They are both right that motor and outdrive combo are gonna be pricey to fix and maintain. OMC has been out of business since 2000 I believe. You should either try to find a boat with a Mercruiser drive or look for a boat that has an outboard. Pick this boat up strip it for any sellable parts and trash the hull gets my vote as well.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
I agree with ALL of the above. This is what we call a "Donor" Boat. Take everything off of her and sell it to someone that is already Knee Deep into a restoration and needing the parts. If you want a boat...Get one with Merc mechanicals!!!