Oxidized Bass Boat

Hunter44

Cadet
HI im looking for some guidance on buffing out my heavily oxidized cajun bass boat. I bought some buff magic from surhold and went to the local hardware store for a buffing pad and backing pad. Then i put it on my variable speed drill , and it doesn't seem to be working the greatest. What should i do? using sanding paper to get the oxidation out then buff it with a actual buffer, or should i wet sand it. any suggestions would be great.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
First thing Humter44 :welcome: to iboats, Great to have you join us...

There are lots of threads on here where others did exactly what you're trying to do. And there are a number of methods that others used as well. First off, if you don't have a good buffer, your drill is going to take a beating. Some buy cheap Harbor Freight buffers/polishers and use them. Others use angle grinders with buffers installed. It is your choice. But post some pictures so we can see how bad the finish is and suggest possible options. Either way, you're in for some work. The polishing media is important and using the proper ones makes the job easier. So either wait for others to chime in and explain how they did theirs, or research iboats for such sequences of polishing. JMHO!

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
One thing that I have actually found that works great on oxidization, is the mothers headlight kit for renewing old yellowing headlights, works good on oxidized fiberglass and it does not induce scratches, so you might look at some of the mothers products to see what they have. Also there used to a product out called renues(SP) that was good on oxidation

Last edited:

DeepBlue2010

Lieutenant
Is this a plain old gelcoat we are talking about or it has metal flakes into it?

PatinIdaho

Chief Petty Officer
I am trying different stuff just to give it a try. So far best I have found in my garage is Mothers mag wheel polish.
I have ordered Maguires marine/rv fiberglass renew kit though.
Will post some before after pics when I get it friday

Hunter44

Cadet
Its got the metal flakes under the gel coat, getting ready to put it away for the fall and winter, sense i started tech school , but will need help finding solutions for the oxidation, still trying to get pictures up, but hopefully soon. sorry for a late response but you are helping a lot, thank you

DeepBlue2010

Lieutenant
Run your fingers on the gel and see if you can feel the flakes. If so, the gel is pretty much gone, sand down and paint or regel if you want to. If you can't, post some pictures and some close ups so we can see what is the status of the gel.