Older crestliner project. Unknown model, help identify!

Mts678

Cadet
I just acquired this Crestliner boat from my uncle, I do not know the year or model/ can somebody help me identify?

This week I'll haul it to the shop snd start gutting the interior and seeing what all needs replaced. From what I can see the floor is toast along with all the interior. My uncle did a mobile rebuild on the motor about 10 years ago, so I'll look into the motor and see what it needs to get back up to par. I have to upload pics to photobucket then I'll get them posted.

Mts678

Cadet
Alrighty, this forum seems a little quiet compares to others. It's hard to find much info when searching these boats. But after looking at pics I believe it's a crusader model. Model number still unknown though.

What upgrades should I consider when doing this rebuild? I have never worked on a boat and don't know much about them. I'm mechanically inclined and my background is diesel trucks and air cooled VW's.

Any help is appreciated! Give the new member s few pointers and make me feel welcomed eh?! 🍻

jbcurt00

Staff member
That OMC engine is obsolete, as is the outdrive.

As you're a mechanic, I'd strongly advise you to consider swapping to a Mercruiser driveline.

Even if you can get it running good w little effort. Parts will only get harder to find, IMO.

There is a lot of work ahead on.the boat before you get to putting the motor and interior back in it.

Grab a good stiff beverage, a comfy chair and dig into the resto forum. You'll find lots of helpful info in the topics.

Good luck, welcome to boat rehab, and make sure to note the importance of all the right PPE for boat rehab.

Goggles
Respirator
Gloves

Mts678

Cadet
Thanks for the input! I won't even ask why the OMC is no Bueno, I'll search more on that. I'll ask this though- what would you suggest for a mercruiser set up?

Body work and paint is nothing new for me. But for boat paint it is- I've done tons of fiberglass part making in my young career- making custom fiberglass and carbon fiber parts, plug and mold fabrication, familiar with all gelcoats ect. But I've never dealt with painting of a boat- what's the ideal paint to use?

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
You are going to have some strong ambition and long term dedication on that one, looks like it has been sitting out in the hot Texas sun for quite a while. That one looks like a mid 70's Crusader model, did you get any paperwork with it? As far as the OMC, there are just not that many parts available any longer for them and it is getting harder to even find used parts on ebay for them. There are quite a few different types of boat paint out there, I would suggest talking to a shop that is knowledgeable in painting boats in your area to figure out what might be best for your particular area and conditions. Although that said, if you clean the outside of the hull that paint might not look to bad on it, looks oxidized by not to damaged, I would do a good cleaning in a small area and see how it turns out. I suspect if the floor is gone, then the transom is also gone on it and going to need to be replaced, which means popping the cap and rebuilding it from the ground up.

Like I said, Dedication and strong ambition with a good amount of patience and it can be done.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
WOW!! That's a PROJECT!!! Do you have a Budget in mind??? You asked about Paint. Check out the last link in my signature below. Lots of members have used this method with GREAT results!!!;)

Mts678

Cadet
You are going to have some strong ambition and long term dedication on that one, looks like it has been sitting out in the hot Texas sun for quite a while. That one looks like a mid 70's Crusader model, did you get any paperwork with it? As far as the OMC, there are just not that many parts available any longer for them and it is getting harder to even find used parts on ebay for them. There are quite a few different types of boat paint out there, I would suggest talking to a shop that is knowledgeable in painting boats in your area to figure out what might be best for your particular area and conditions. Although that said, if you clean the outside of the hull that paint might not look to bad on it, looks oxidized by not to damaged, I would do a good cleaning in a small area and see how it turns out. I suspect if the floor is gone, then the transom is also gone on it and going to need to be replaced, which means popping the cap and rebuilding it from the ground up.

Like I said, Dedication and strong ambition with a good amount of patience and it can be done.

It has been sitting out in the hot texas sun lol! I was going to power wash the oxidation off and see how it looks. But my first thoughts were to just focus on the interior and the mechanics first, for financial purposes. I'd like to just get it going before the year is over.

What is the transom? What's popping the cap? The floor is gone as you suspected.

Man y'all are kinda scaring me to be honest haha. I've done several auto rebuilds/ restorations, but never a boat. So the labor and dedication isn't an issue, but having a 4 month old daughter in our lives now I don't have the same time on my hands to put in the work as I used to have.

Later this week I should get the boat pulled into the shop and I'll be gutting the interior and pulling out all the rotted wood floor and everything to get a better idea of what this boat needs, but y'all already seem to have a better idea than I do!

Mts678

Cadet
WOW!! That's a PROJECT!!! Do you have a Budget in mind??? You asked about Paint. Check out the last link in my signature below. Lots of members have used this method with GREAT results!!!;)

No budget in mind yet, and if I do state one don't show this thread to my wife haha! My first initial thought on budget was about $2500-$3000.00 But that sounds like nothing now after the previous posts lol.

Mts678

Cadet
Ok I searched transom, easy enough sorry I got lazy! I'll have to check all this out and determine the depth of the restoration.

Jeep Man

Commander
Not sure what to say on this one.........................................nice truck!

Mts678

Cadet
LOL. Ah she ain't that bad, power wash the exterior and it'll be ok until I can paint it. Re-do the interior which Ive done upholstery on a few of my project vehicles in the past, no biggie. Legit her get this motor up and running or drop in a merruiser set up and I'm on the lake... Ok and some electronic work probably too lol. Damn should I just get s boat that's in better shape?!

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Did your Uncle give this boat to you for nothing? If so you are getting ready to find out, that free boats are normally very expensive.

Mts678

Cadet
Haha, my friend just told me that the other day! I don't think it'll be all that bad, free labor!

What is a good platform to replace the OMC set up with?

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Haha, my friend just told me that the other day! I don't think it'll be all that bad, free labor!

What is a good platform to replace the OMC set up with?

If you can find a reasonable one, I would go with a Mercruiser set up.

Mts678

Cadet
Thanks. I don't know much about boat engine set ups. I looked on my local Craigslist- something like this?

http://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/bpo/5095652737.html

Is there any threads you can point me to to read more on this? Sorry to be such a newb, but this boat stuff is uncharted territory for me. I just have no idea what kind of motor I should be looking at or what all I am going to need. Will my current propeller "system" hook up to a mercruiser motor?

Mts678

Cadet
Another mercruiser motor:

http://easttexas.craigslist.org/bpo/5149311562.html

Is my propeller system/ drive unit, compatible with a mercruiser motor? Or do I need that unit as well? if y'all were asking me questions about ford powerstoke diesel trucks and everything about them, I would have you all the answers! This is totally out of my realm here and I feel like a dummy