Bond between boat hull and stringer

redneckvulcanrider

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Got a ? For you experts how important is the actual bond between boat hull and your stringers or does the fiberglass lay up over the stringers what really maters. I ask this because got a chance to work on my boat last night and discovered that my center stringer from the bow of the boat to about half its length had poped up and lose from the bedding still solid the rest of way to transom. I believe it happened due to the storms we have had blowing threw my area the last couple weeks flexing the hull with 100 mile winds. The 2 outside stringers are still intacted and solid and fileted in. Crazy thing is center main stringer was bedded in peanut butter made from cabosil and resin and the outside 2 stringers ( 1 to each side of main stringer) were bedded in penut butter made from hardwood flour and resin and they held up and stayed bedded. Not really wanting to rip stringer out to re bed due to if I do and have to make another order from us composites il be divorced.

DeepBlue2010

Lieutenant
Wow.... I am surprised that divorce lawyers are not sponsoring this site yet. I am curious, was there any glass in this area that got de-laminated or just the bedding?

If it is the latter, don't worry about it. The only reason for this bedding is not to attach the stringer to the hull but rather to provide a filling for the gap that must be maintained between the stringer and the hull to avoid hard spots. It is the glass that provide the bond between the stringer and the hull. The problem is that without a filler in the 1/4 inch gap under the stringer, your glass has to deal with sharp corners and air pockets (the gap itself) fiberglass doesn't like both of these things much. Hence the need for bedding.

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
How about some pictures ... Sounds like just grinding down and re-tabbing it back in the area .. This was a new stringer you had just installed ?

redneckvulcanrider

Petty Officer 3rd Class
It was just the bedding that delaminates . Yes it was a new stringer but it wasn't tabbed in yet it has been installed for about a year been slowly working on doing filet on it couple feet at a time. And wishing I had more time to work on it. Will try to take picks tonight after work of it.

BillP

Captain
No need to structurally bed the stringers before glassing. Some deep v offshore mfgs set the stringer on a 1/2" strip of foam to keep them off the bottom. The idea is to prevent a hard spot. along the stinger.

bp

Goldie627

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Im no expert but, anytime you have a gap or air pocket / channel these are places water and moister would love to congregate. Personally, I wouldn't glass over a gap. Good luck to ya

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Yup, No worries. If you can make your Fillets/Tabbings then Carry on!!!;)