take a look. Engine mount... how can I be efficient?

kramerpage

Chief Petty Officer
Hey DB
I have the grinder in the pic already. I saw those disc and had them in my hands. They said for light rust on metal. I have never used that type of disc. I will do just that.... That will get me in the places I need. Thanks so much guy... I just ordered 2 gallon of UNWAXED poly. I have two gallons of poly but it has wax in it and the sanding is killing me in the heat with a tyveck suit and ppe so I figure its worth the extra $ not to sand at my age... I enjoy the carpentry aspect but sanding? Not...This is a young mans game

kramerpage

Chief Petty Officer
20150414_165342.jpg

Here is what it looked like when I purchased it for 900.00 dollars. A big mess.

20150510_114501.jpg
rps20150606_134802.jpg

Some of my Supplies I purchased. I have never laid glass down ever before so it will be challenging for me to say the least but with this forum I feel I have a chance to make a go of it. Otherwise I would have never taken this boat on toe to toe....

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
I use 24 grit hard discs vs the flap discs.

a good tip is to get the shop vac hose right up to your work area to keep dust to a minimum.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Yeah, I like the resin coated discs with the backup pad too!!! They work better and last longer IMHO!!!! Harbor Freight Sells em!!!

kramerpage

Chief Petty Officer
I use 24 grit hard discs vs the flap discs.

a good tip is to get the shop vac hose right up to your work area to keep dust to a minimum.

I'm at lowes now. Gotta buy a new angle grinder. Mine is 24 years old and has a 3/8 arbor. All the new disc are 7/8 inch. Sooooo

Not really understanding the 25 grit disc you and woody are describing. I see the ones deep blue is recommended. Are they solid black grinding disc like for steel?

kramerpage

Chief Petty Officer
No Title

Here is a backing plate on a new Dewalt. Looks like the nut would keep you from going flat. ??? I figured it out the flush nut for the backing plate was missing since the package was open. Thanks. Gee Whizzz lol

Attachments

• photo227181.jpg
    photo227181.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

kramerpage

Chief Petty Officer
No Title

This is what I ended up with. I got a nice supply of them. Got an Hitachi angle ginger with a switch NOTA trigger. Came with a hardshell case on sale for 39.00 plus 5% off w lowes card. Got table saw loaded in truck. 12 in miter saw. Gotta go to harbor freight and get sum clamps. Have 3 Hitachi nail guns and 4 sheets of BCX ply and saw horses. I'm ready to go toe to toe. We'll at least to my next hurdle. Lol thx

Attachments

• photo227196.jpg
    photo227196.jpg
    277.8 KB · Views: 0
  • rps20150803_180859.jpg
    rps20150803_180859.jpg
    277.8 KB · Views: 0
  • photo227197.jpg
    photo227197.jpg
    308.5 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

kramerpage

Chief Petty Officer
No Title

Oh boy look what I found. A rotted stringer. Foam was a little wet not much. This is where the deck drained and the water got in thru the three holes where the foam was poured in cause they didn't even seal them from the factory. So now what?

Attachments

• photo227216.jpg
    photo227216.jpg
    191.6 KB · Views: 0
  • photo227217.jpg
    photo227217.jpg
    152.2 KB · Views: 0
  • photo227218.jpg
    photo227218.jpg
    130.9 KB · Views: 0
  • photo227219.jpg
    photo227219.jpg
    173.9 KB · Views: 0

DeepBlue2010

Lieutenant
Well, my friend, now you opened the can of worms. What did you expect :)

I wish you did not start a new thread and continued the project in the "My Rotten Lady" thread. Anyway, back in the Rotten Lady thread you said that your goal is to get 4 years of of her. Is this still your goal?

What do you intend to do after, restore or replace?

kramerpage

Chief Petty Officer
No Title

Yes I would like to go back to that thread. I thought everyone wanted you to start a new thread for questions so I started this one.

We'll I can't answer that question at this point DP... I'm in alot deeper than I wanted. I'm already over budget and it should have been to the marina by now for the engine swap. I gotta think on it. I just don't wanna separate the boat.

I expected some stuff to be good. When I did the trailer I ended up with all new. Nothing was good. Even the Frame bolts were bad.

When I did the gimble assembly nothing was good. Not even the housing. So I stuck a grand in it.

I will fish for walleye off that boat someday. Just gotta keep at it I guess.

This keeps me goin DB.

Attachments

• photo227252.jpg
    photo227252.jpg
    178.9 KB · Views: 0

DeepBlue2010

Lieutenant
It is sure something to look forward to my friend and I applaud your persistence. The only reason I was asking is to try to be on the same page with you in terms of your expectations. If you have planned for replacing her after 4 years, you can - if you want - button her up again and get the 4 years and part ways. If you are planning to keep her long term, I would do everything that needs to be done structurally right now. We are not getting any younger and if we can do this work now, there are no grantees that we will be able to few years. I don't mean to be rude and I mean no disrespect, I started to feel to toll of the years myself. God knows, a lot of miles on my mussels.

Last edited:

kramerpage

Chief Petty Officer
Geee I feel exactly the way you describe. I'm 55 now and I can do the work and enjoy it most of the time. I discussed this with my brother which is where the boat is 30 minutes out of the city and he said I can use his garage and land as long as it takes. I am also helping him finish a total restore on a 1983 28ft Baha cigarette boat. I have two other boats so realistically I don't need it right away. My brother says fix it. Get it done. My wife says can't you just by a fast sports car and get it over with. ...lol She thinks this boat is my mid life crisis. She may be right...