Boat Carpet

sergiophil

Seaman
Hello,

I am inquiring about re doing the carpet in my boat. Bought the boat last year, and carpet is in need of replacement. Now, I have done some research, but wondering what the process should be like, and if I should tackle it myself? I did get a quote from a guy and he stated around $3,000 dollars. Now, I really do not want to pay that much, and thinking about doing it myself. Is there carpet I should look at buying compared to others? Is there methods I should use in regards of templates on laying it down?

Thanks.

pckeen

Commander
Is it just the carpet, or do you have soft floors? What boat do you have?

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I know for certain that YOU can buy quality marine carpet and install it for so much less then that...

boater364

Cadet
Yea I just did mine, got carpet on ebay for 90 bucks, 10 by 8. Got glue with home depot for like I think 15 bucks and that's all I needed. check out my thread from a few weeks ago.

Corjen1

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I used Home depot outdoor carpet and exterior glue, Less than 100 bucks....

redfury

Commander
What's important is using the right glue and the right carpet. The period of time in which the carpet is going to last is in the installation more than the carpet, but better quality carpet will hold up longer and likely look and feel better. The higher the oz. rating, the better the carpet in most cases. Or you could switch over to vinyl and save some of the problems inherent in having carpet, like fading and ripping. Slipperier, but easier to clean. Or, the other alternative would be to rip out what you have, clean the surface really well and roll a new floor in with Tuff Coat from Overtons.

bonz_d

Vice Admiral
Here is a small Lund that I did as you can see by the date stamp 6 years ago. This boat is now owned by my brother, the carpet still looks like this though the varnish on the seats hasn't weathered as well.