1980 Blue Fin Sportsman 16' Hull Part Needed

csnow1

Cadet
I’m looking for a unique hull piece for a 1980 Blue Fin Sportsman 16’ Fish & Ski aluminum hull boat. My understanding is that these boats were manufactured by Spectrum near Elkhart, IN.

I’ve attached a photo of the boat, two photos of the (R) side part, and a drawing. The photo is of the piece I still have from the (R) starboard side of the boat. I need the mirror image part from the (L) port side of the boat.

The piece appears to be cast or molded aluminum. I’ve attempted to give you approximate measurements in the not terribly accurate drawing. The missing piece (which can be seen in the boat photo at the port side stern) serves as a cap where the gunwale, transom, freeboard, and rubrail come together. It was originally riveted into place. The bow cap piece is made from the same aluminum.

I would appreciate help finding someone with a salvaged Blue Fin hull? I’ve put a lot of work into restoring this old boat for use in the NC coastal inlets and the ICW and I’d like to keep it as nice as possible.

I really would appreciate your help. You can reach me via this post

Mod EDIT.

Thanks for any help you can give.

Sincerely,
Craig Snow
1980 Blue Fin.JPG
Part Photo 2.jpg
Part Photo 1.jpg
Part Bad Drawing.jpg
View attachment Bad Part Drawing.pdf

Attachments

• 1980 Blue Fin.JPG
    1980 Blue Fin.JPG
    44 KB · Views: 1
  • Part Bad Drawing.jpg
    Part Bad Drawing.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 1
Last edited by a moderator:

Tnstratofam

Commander
You may want to broaden your search for that end cap by checking into Starcraft or Sea Nymph boats of a similar year. They are very simillar in design. Our Starcraft SS160 has similar end caps. You may have to get two from one of those manufacturers style boats to have two the same. Ultimately you may have to do some searching at a local boat salvage yard or keep an eye out on craigslist or ebay for the parts you need. Good luck in your search.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Many companies used that design on their boats going clear back into the early 50's, I would do a ebay search for rear corner caps and see what you can come up with, my 67 Mirrorcraft has pretty much the same corner caps, so they are interchangeable between different boat companies.

Also, you need to remember not to post personal information such as phone numbers in your messages, could lead to all kinds of bad things happening.

csnow1

Cadet
Thank you both for the feedback and the # edit on my post. I had copied that from an email I sent to some salvage yards...great point!

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
If memory serves me correctly we have an iBoats member that is casting those end caps and selling them on ebay. I think jbcurt (Moderator) has a link for him. YOu might try contacting him;)

jbcurt00

Staff member
MichaelP used to cast them, no idea if he still does, send him a PM.

He hasn't been logged on since early June.

csnow1

Cadet
MichaelP, have any idea if there is anyone casting the caps at the size I need?

MichaelP

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I don't know of anyone else providing any kind of caps other than a few on Ebay. If you have a fab shop in your area you can have them made but it might be spendy.

csnow1

Cadet
No Title

I wanted to let you all know that a local company, Hanover Iron Works Sheet Metal, Inc., created welded versions of the cast transom caps for me. Thompson King IV is the fifth generation metal worker in the family business. He made both pieces for a modest $34 total! Thanks to all of you for your kind suggestions and feedback.

Attachments

• photo229788.jpg
    photo229788.jpg
    122.4 KB · Views: 2
  • photo229789.jpg
    photo229789.jpg
    158.3 KB · Views: 2

jbcurt00

Staff member
DEAL ^^^

Glad it worked out. They look like a pretty good duplicate of the originals and they turned out great.

Bondo

Staff member
DEAL ^^^

Glad it worked out. They look like a pretty good duplicate of the originals and they turned out great.

Ayuh,..... I'll say,..... doubt I could build 'em myself for that price,.....
Have many times thought they could be welded up, 'n ground out to look decent,....

Corner caps for 'bout Any tinbarge are worth Gold,.....

Donno how many folks wanted dibs on mine, if I ever get 'round to scrappin' my tinbarge,....

Always somebody askin' 'bout the corner caps anytime I've mentioned scrappin' out any tinbages I've scrapped,...
'course, never scrapped out a tinbarge that had intact decent corner caps either,....