14' deep Mirrocraft restoration

outdoorsman1962

Seaman Apprentice
I was given a 1974 Mirrocraft some years ago, put in just a wood pallet in the middle on the supports where the middle seat was. That lastet for a few years but its time to do it right but a few questions.1) Along the sides I was thinking of riveting angled aluminum at old seat level and using some composite floor..
2) I will cut in compartments in floor after because right now the main thing I want is get floor in while Son's in town to help me. 3) Instead of angled aluminum, should I use some type of wood?(Want as light as possible and it will be out in the weather).
4) I will be installing supports from bow to stern and was thinking 2x4's because they will be out of weather.
My main question is the sides being supported properly with the right supports. I need this to be as easy to clean as possible because of back problems. Hose it down and throw cover on when I have help but mostly just hose it.
Thank you so very much.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
It would be easier if you posted some pictures along with your descriptions, little easier to visualize what you are trying to do, I have owned a few Mirro's over the years, in fact got a 14' sitting in the front yard right now feeling neglected. But post some pictures up and we will help get ya going.

outdoorsman1962

Seaman Apprentice
Thank you and I will do. I guess Im just looking on how to atatch the floor-deck to the sides. HAGD

outdoorsman1962

Seaman Apprentice
PLEASE assist on posting pics OR where to learn how........2 hours and Error is all I've seen......LOL

outdoorsman1962

Seaman Apprentice
No Title

ALMOST THRU BUT STILL CANT DL PICS, Going 2 continue trying because useless without pics!!

Attachments

• photo230925.jpg
    photo230925.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 2
  • photo230926.jpg
    photo230926.jpg
    107.5 KB · Views: 2
  • photo230927.jpg
    photo230927.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 2
  • photo230929.jpg
    photo230929.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 2
  • photo230931.jpg
    photo230931.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 2

outdoorsman1962

Seaman Apprentice
Thank you very much. I will get it figured out Today.

FINALLY PICS POSTED BUT MORE 2 COME!!!!!!!
I now can tell others the do's and don'ts but best is learning how to just "wing it".
I had planned on carpeting entire boat but $$ has been very tight and saw a idea I wanted to try on bow so I did..Harbor Frieight $5.99 a can spray on truck liner. I tried on the bow area and dried in 24 hours. I can NOT scratch it off the wood floor! Also I cut hole in floor for cooler-livewell.
More pics 2 come.
Any questions..ask away.

outdoorsman1962

Seaman Apprentice
No Title

THE #1 thing I did find when cutting precise cuts...MAKE TEMPLATES. I went to Lowes and HD and asked for CLEAN Fridge boxes.

Attachments

• photo230927.jpg
    photo230927.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 1
  • photo230935.jpg
    photo230935.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 1
  • photo230936.jpg
    photo230936.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 1

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Boy that one has been extensively modified over the years, that used to be a close bow Mirro, looks like one time it was the same model I have sitting in the yard, but someone cut the bow section out to make it a full deck fishing boat! That is why it is so deep.

outdoorsman1962

Seaman Apprentice
Boy that one has been extensively modified over the years, that used to be a close bow Mirro, looks like one time it was the same model I have sitting in the yard, but someone cut the bow section out to make it a full deck fishing boat! That is why it is so deep.

It is a 1974 and Yes it was a closed bow and when I got it all of the junk were laying in there in pieces. Since it was given to me and knowing I had nothing to lose, I stripped it and fixed a couple leaks and put a couple af pallets on the floor and caught many fish on it but wanted to fix it up. Money is very tight because of illness so I am doing best I can at cheap as I can.

outdoorsman1962

Seaman Apprentice
What did you use to seal the deck wood?

So far just the spray on from HF but marine carpet is the final thing to be done when $$ loosens up. I actually applied water to it today after it drying since Thursday night and it beaded off amazingly. I am cutting a small hinged area in the bow only to store anchor and want to keep as much area free of clutter for my Dad(hes 81).
Looking for a marine radio reasonable and stereo for emergency purposes. I'm NO carpenter but I'm scaring muself....LOL

64osby

Admiral
So far just the spray on from HF

Read further back, you sealed the top of the deck with bed liner.

Sealing the wood is important if you want your work to last. Top, bottom and sides are all important. Most wood in boats rots from the bottom up. Most here seal with Spar Varnish, deck paint, epoxy resin or fiberglass.

The other thing I noticed is a lack of flotation foam. You can use closed cell sheet foam from the big box stores. It would keep the boat from going to the bottom in those emergency situations.

Not trying to be too critical here, just trying to help you out a little.

outdoorsman1962

Seaman Apprentice
No Title

Read further back, you sealed the top of the deck with bed liner.

Sealing the wood is important if you want your work to last. Top, bottom and sides are all important. Most wood in boats rots from the bottom up. Most here seal with Spar Varnish, deck paint, epoxy resin or fiberglass.

The other thing I noticed is a lack of flotation foam. You can use closed cell sheet foam from the big box stores. It would keep the boat from going to the bottom in those emergency situations.

Not trying to be too critical here, just trying to help you out a little.
I never once thought of your replys as critical.....I love people willing to pitch in. I am unscrewing the center board where cooler is and under that will be flotation foam that a neighbor had from a job . I will try to remember to take camera when I get that far. Gonna "try" to posts pics of more today. Believe it or not, the hinges are driving me crazy....I'm using a wide assortment because they are FREE and I'm NOT personally able to do alot of the heavy work because of another back surgery but kid down street is assembling what I cut...LOL

Attachments

• photo230931.jpg
    photo230931.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 1

outdoorsman1962

Seaman Apprentice
Well with the temps hitting 50 yesterday,I'm getting the itch to uncover a part of my boat and get back at sealing the floor but have another question. PLEASE NOTE.....I NEVER take anyone's comments as critical, I consider it HELP. I posted somewhere and got comments putting me down for using "particle board" and I knew what I was using and price was the reason. Ok..Here is my next idea...FLEX SEAL??
I have sprayed the entire inside with Harbor Freights undercoating and the wood is just sucking up the product and even tho I am planning on carpeting the main floor, I want to seal the compartments and all crevices but I'm going broke. My Uncle came in town and has access to the real Flex Seal and now it comes in liquid gallon size.
Question.....Anyone use this product for projects? I did for a leaky gutter and no problem but before I spend any more money on HF spray, should I try Flex Seal?
He carries the product so price will be his price and I like what he quoted me for 2 gallons. Yes money is tight but I want to do the best I can for what I have.
PLEASE give me ideas.
BTW....No I'm NOT putting in a screen bottom....LOLOL.

TruckDrivingFool

Lieutenant Commander
I'm going to reiterate what others have said you need to seal ALL SIDES (top/bottom/ends) of any wood you want to last in a boat. If it can be done any of that decking should be deconstructed, pulled out and have ALL SIDES sealed. Then reassembled sealing your screw holes with the likes of 5200,4200, are at least even some of whatever you seal the decks themselves with.

The cheapest way to seal all your wood is going to be the likes of exterior paint, WOG's Old timer recipe, polyurethane, ect. Anything in a spray can is going to cost more than those options just due to the convenience of the spray can. Plus you get better/thicker coverage from brushing/rolling than you will spraying.

I've never used Flex Seal so take the above options and compare the prices. I will say that anytime I've seen bedliner/flex seal use on hulls it has created more of a headache to repair when it goes south. That's on a hull though not for sealing decks so maybe you're onto something.

lckstckn2smknbrls

Lieutenant Junior Grade
The Flex seal will put a membrane on the wood. If the membrane gets compromised the wood is going to get wet and it won't dry out well.
You want something that will penetrate the wood to seal it. Like the old timers recipe.

outdoorsman1962

Seaman Apprentice
The Flex seal will put a membrane on the wood. If the membrane gets compromised the wood is going to get wet and it won't dry out well.
You want something that will penetrate the wood to seal it. Like the old timers recipe.

GRRRRRR....I agree with both of you and Yes I will be taking boards apart to seal and then go over after complete. I will post pics. TYVM All.