1985 cadorette hole

aerosmith

Cadet
Morning my first post. I recently purchased this boat and did not notice a hole in the hull which is very obvious

Because of its location would sanding and glassi g the damaged area work for a period of time it seems to be sealed already with epoxy and pissibly glass but doesn't l?ok like nearly enough

aerosmith

Cadet
Sorry attaching the picture, had trouble on the train.

Attachments

• boat.jpg
    boat.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 1

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Well, hopefully the patch was done from the inside. It's hard to tell from the pic. Looks can be deceiving. Might not be epoxy, could be polyester resin. As long as it's not spongy or flexing and it's water tight then it should be ok. Pretty is as pretty does!!! Fish don't care!!!!;)

aerosmith

Cadet
Thanks! its pretty hard, would it hurt to put more Fiberglass? the patch itself is pretty hard it looks internal the patch as its not over the gelcoat. and its causing spider cracking on the coat itself, id have to see how to fix that trending with more patching. since i didint do the original patch i wanted to make sure if i put more fiberglass it would suffice even short term. Last thing i want to do is sink :p

aerosmith

Cadet
worst case if its not done internally and there is no damage would patching the outside more be ok.

DeepBlue2010

Lieutenant
Yes, if it was done correctly from outside only, it would be ok. Give the PO a call and ask him what happened and who fixed it

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Also ask what he used. If Epoxy, you'll need to stick with epoxy. Polyester doesn't like sticking to epoxy. Epoxy on the other hand will stick to almost anything except some plastics.

aerosmith

Cadet
still trying to get ahold of the seller, i took another pic when i got home and self its, its rock hard and is looks for sure an inside part.
still dont know if its epoxy. not sure how to tell.

Attachments

• 20150728_195122_zpsjyirnmwp.jpg
    20150728_195122_zpsjyirnmwp.jpg
    154.4 KB · Views: 0

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Well, she's not the best lookin' repair in the world but...again if she's watertight then that's basically all that matters. Based on the color of the resin, I'm guessin that's Polyester resin, or possibly Vinylester. If you sand on it and it STINKS you'll know for sure!!!:D There does appear to be some additional glass fractures extending out from the patched area etc sooo...If it were me, I'd try to get the boat off the bunk of the trailer somehow and see if I could do some more inspection and then do some additional grinding and sanding on her and laydown some addition CSM and resin and then 3-4 coats of Gelcoat just to make her look better and ensure everythinkg was 100%. But...That's just me.:noidea: Prolly not really necessary. Might be a nice lazy day winter project.:biggrin1:

aerosmith

Cadet
I appreciate all your help :) my first boat and im pretty excited, so are my kids.. but want it to be safe. I will try to sand a bit to determine if it stinks, and can identify the resin... as for the CSM would 1.5oz be good enough? trying to locate a supplyer around me, to get it in a decent time. http://www.marineoutfitters.ca/inde...96&product=32050543&code=FG 1.5 oz 50" CS Mat

As for the hole, would i use the same? or would i need a sheet of woven, or something else on this http://www.marineoutfitters.ca/inde...96&product=32050543&code=FG 1.5 oz 50" CS Mat and assuming its vynil or Poly, Epoxy would be the way to go with both the CSM and other fiberglass on the outside?

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
If it's poly then 1.5 oz CSM is the preferred material. If epoxy then you don't use the CSM. Once its sanded and dished out just a bit, wipe it down with acetone to clean it well and then I'd use two layers of this..http://www.marineoutfitters.ca/inde...796&product=32050550&code=FG 2.3 oz 38" Cloth. Since it appears to be fairly strong as is, what you're looking for now is a bit more strength and more waterproofing. NOTE: If you use epoxy then the final finish will need to be paint. Gelcoat doesn't really adhere well to epoxy. You can do some really good prep work and it will stick but it usually fails in the long run. Since it's below the water line, paint will work and blend fairly well and only the fish will know for sure!!!!;) Doing glass work upside down is a bit tricky so when the time comes let us know and we can give you some pointers on how to make it a bit easier to do.:encouragement:

aerosmith

Cadet
Ok, i examined the hole a bit more and noticed there is slight cracking in the patch so this gave me more reason to open the floor.
once i removed the floor, i saw another hole, but its pretty accessable, so atm im not worried about that one at all,

the original one i believe is under a stringer. its caked on with allot of glass, and i have no idea how to address this one.

Holes
http://i935.photobucket.com/albums/ad197/Scott_Bellefeuille/20150730_200825_zpsxazbp9os.jpg

under floor

http://i935.photobucket.com/albums/ad197/Scott_Bellefeuille/20150730_200825_zpsxazbp9os.jpg

the top left near the cracking we can sort of see a hole that was under the trailer bunk

i dont know how to go from here.

on another note :)

i tried a new plug because when i bought it the plugs where on the deck and not in the boat,
it might be stripped or im just so novice i dont know what to do. i cant get the sucker in. or is it the threads that are messed.
http://i935.photobucket.com/albums/ad197/Scott_Bellefeuille/20150728_195322_zpswg67yyps.jpg

Also does anyone know what this is.

http://i935.photobucket.com/albums/ad197/Scott_Bellefeuille/20150728_200023_zpscmawd0k8.jpg

aerosmith

Cadet
is that for the tilt? sorry im new :/ im trying to figure out how to change the oil something needs to motivate me.

Mark72233

Ensign
Yes that is for your tilt. It's been awhile since I have messed with them but I think they motor needs to be trimmed either all the way down or up before you check the level.

aerosmith

Cadet
Anyone recommend how to deal with with the stringer and fiber glass under neath the patch shows the glass all around the stringer and under neath i havw to remove it as the patch has cracks

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Uhmmm it's really hard to tell what you're referencing. You'll need to draw a circle around the area and get a better pic. Bottom line is this. IF there is a definite Hole/Crack thru the hull you'll need to use a grinder/sander. to remove the glass back about 4-6 inches all around the repair area and then use resin and new glass to repair it an make it water tight again. Then go on the outside an grind/sand that area down again 4-6 " all around the damaged area and then lay a couple of layers of new glass down.

aerosmith

Cadet
sorry for my lack of explanation.
http://i935.photobucket.com/albums/ad197/Scott_Bellefeuille/boat2_zpsmiehqi9g.jpg

here you can see the larger circle which i believe is the stringer.

problem is thats where the original patch is underneath. the fiberglass on top is not completely attached to the boat, its pretty flimsy if i lean on the boat the stringer sort of shifts and the fiber glass raises off the bottom, so i assume its lose, so i have to cut it a little, i have to some how get the riser up. to get to the bottom of it so i can patch the hole properly.

previous pictures show the patch/larger hole from the bottom of the boat.

the 2nd circle is another hole pretty small but needs patching i assume i sand a bunch and then patch it up both sides with epoxy? i want lots of strength here as i dont want to open the floor again :p

the arrow also shows a cut in the wood that does not reach the side i assume the PO cut it to patch but the stringer is also missing half... so ill have to replace this or brace it.