Hey all, had the boat out this weekend and had to run it without the cover (sounded like a 600hp monster) as the exhaust bellow between the motor and the lower leg cracked and started leaking exhaust into the cowling choking the carbs.
I've searched and must not be calling it the right name, does anyone know what the part number for this is? I can't find it anywhere.
I can see a spring in it plus clamps if that helps, I'm heading out right now to take it apart and should have pictures up shortly.
Well just in case anyone was following along I replaced the exhaust boot and the engine run's like new (also tossed a new starter on it, old one was made in 1988 so I figured I got my money worth).
I have to figure it was leaking a small amount of exhaust in there for a while because the idle is much smoother then it ever has been. I never did figure out what the black tube inside the boot was and it doesnt seem to have made a difference leaving it off of there.
Well just in case anyone was following along I replaced the exhaust boot and the engine run's like new...
Ezimmerm- just found this series of posts as you were going through replacing your bellow. I just had a new lower unit put on to fix a broken driveshaft on my Force 120, but think the guy might have torn the bellow while putting everything back together (smokes inside the cover at idle and only gets worse with more throttle so engine chokes out). I'm tired of waiting on the guy to come help fix things so will just do it myself to save the end of the season- where did you wind up purchasing your new bellow? Remember the cost? Was it hard to get to, or did you wind up taking any of the covers off to get to it? Thanks for your help
Part #22 is what I refer to as the mid leg, there are bolts holding the top, backside, and bottom.
1. Take the engine cover off
2. Remove about 6-8 bolts that attach the lower cowl to the top of the midleg cover
3. Remove the 6 bolts from the backside of the midleg cover
4. Remove the 4 lower bolts from the bottom of the midleg cover (not sure if you'll have these or not, my 150 does, 4 very small bolts just to keep the midleg seal tight)
5. Remove midleg once all bolts are off, mine was on tight so it may take a bit of effort to get it and dont tear the other seal (Part 30)!
6. Pull the old bellow off. There is going to be a plastic nipple (Part #26) the bellow (Part #27), the spring, and the clamp. Pay attention to how the plastic part goes in and what direction everything is facing, I realized after I put everything together that I did one thing wrong and had to redo it. Not hard, just wasted time.
When I ordered it, the bellow camewith a spring if I remember right. You may want to order a new clamp and plastic piece in addition to that just to be safe, I didn't just cause I'm a cheapskate and they looked alright on mine. About $15 with shipping.
Installation is the reverse of the above, just make sure when it goes together to look through the pee holes and make sure the boot is centered on them and you should be back out on the water in no time.
Also the parts diagram I used was for a 1990 to 1994 120hp, not sure what year yours is so make sure its correct before ordering.