Please note this thread has been inactive for 90 days. For the best results, please start a new thread.
    Seaman Apprentice

Default 70HP Force Lower Unit white Oil

Hi guys, just discovered I did not have seals around the two vent screws and before I put those in I drained the oil and it was totally white. Do you think it could be this bad from those or is there something else bad that could cause oil to be this white. Thank you very much.
    IMAG0328.jpg
    Bow Rider

Petty Officer 1st Class huskerdaninva's Avatar

Default Re: 70HP Force Lower Unit white Oil

That looks like pretty milky fluid to me. I'd guess it's more than just gaskets on the drain/vent plugs. I'm more inclined to think a prop seal or some other seal(s). Good luck...
    Dan

Nebraska Football, there is NO substitute! If I have to explain you'd never understand. GO BIG RED!!!

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for the reply Dan. I have never changed any seals on this before Is there some type of Kit that covers all seals to the lower unit?
    Bow Rider

You have a smoking gun. Before you jump to confusions and start changing all the seals, replace the oil with fresh and replace the screws with gaskets this time. Run the engine a couple of times and check the oil again. If it remains clear, there is no need to re-seal the lower unit.

Milky oil is definitely a sign of water but no damage has probably been done: The oil has corrosion inhibitors.

Banned

Go get a bottle of transmission stop leak ..the sort that expands the oil seals about 4 % ....brilliant stuff ..put about 25 cc in the gearbox oil and leave it as long as you can to let the seal "grow" you will not replace the sharp lip on the seal but you will save a lot of dough will write a post on the use of this stuff in outboard legs engines and pumps when I get time ..

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks Guys, I replaced the oil I ran it today and will re check tomorrow and every now and then. Just to make sure. I rather replace the seals at $50 cost then replacing the lower unit I guess. I will post my findings
    Bow Rider

Seaman Apprentice

Checked the oil today and its white again. I took the prop off and found fishing line all tengled up around the prop shaft I am assuming that, that might be my problem it probabley ate up that seal. Anyone know how big a project it is to change the prop shaft seal.
    Bow Rider

That looks like a Mercury lower unit. Not difficult to change the seal at all. Remove the two bolts on the gland behind the prop. Pull it out. If the bearing carrier comes with it, the seal is right in the front. Drive it out and press in a new one. About 1/2 hour-- if you have never done it before, about an hour.

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks, so I don't need any special tools etc..my manual does not cover how to do it.
    Bow Rider