Please note this thread has been inactive for 90 days. For the best results, please start a new thread.
    Petty Officer 1st Class

Default motorguide foot control problem

i tried doing search but found nothing specific that helped. anyway heres the problem. it quit working today. i know the motor still works, i bypassed the foot control. what i did find during search of this problem is something called the controller. just not sure which one that is. as i look under the foot control i see the 3 prong switch. the 5 speed switch. and also the foot switch. its probably going to be the 5 speed switch huh. the one that looks the hardest to replace. if anyone can help with how to remove it and best place to purchase i would appreciate it. or even ways to test if thats definetly the one. i did remove the 3 wires fom the switch on the side. ran pos and neg to them, still nothing.

Chief Petty Officer

Default Re: motorguide foot control problem

Here's a place for parts I found when I was looking for parts for mine.
    http://www.motortechva.com/
    How old is your motor? Mine is older (10 years ??) and when my foot control didn't work I took it apart and I thought I found the problem but I never fixed it because I'm not using it now. I don't even remember for sure but I think the problem with mine was the HF15001 switch. My motor came with a boat I bought and when I tried it, it didn't work with the foot pedal but I wired around the foot pedal and mine worked too. I tore it all apart and like I said I think mine is that switch. I can look at it again tomorrow if you think I might help you.

Petty Officer 1st Class

i bought the boat used and im assuming its as old as boat. its a 2003 smokercraft. the trolling motor is a 54lb energy

Petty Officer 1st Class

well its not the foot control switch. i have another trolling motor that i know works. its a 46lb thrust. its on my ski boat. i swapped the foot switch out. so next ill swap out the little red switch on the side.then the speed control switch. its gonna be one of them.

Cadet

Not sure if this info helps or not, but I had a problem with my minn kota trolling motor this weekend. It quit working and I could smell that electrical burning smell. I found that the wires running to the 5-speed switch had been rubbing each other (probably for a very long time) and had eventually worn the insulation off and the bare wires were touching. I separated these wires, wrapped them in electrical tape, and it works fine now. Just something else to check before you go to spending $$$!