Please note this thread has been inactive for 90 days. For the best results, please start a new thread.
    Seaman Apprentice

Default Minn Kota trolling motor won't work?? ARGG!!

My so called newer boat(2003) is giving me problems. I've never owned a trolling motor let alone a bow mount one. It wasn't getting power so I by passed the breaker on the battery. Now when I flip the on/off switch on the foot control I hear a click. Any idea's? The prop moves smooth and it swivels nice too by hand.

Default Re: Minn Kota trolling motor won't work?? ARGG!!

Look under the foot pedal to see if any wires got pulled loose - or if one of the connectors got bent over where it's making a contact where it shouldn't - sometimes a rope or something can get get dragged through there. It's happened to me before.Also remove the recepticle & inspect it for corrosion - maybe use a tester on it to make sure it's working right.Guess you know to keep a sharp eye on your wiring while that breaker is bypassed!
    It's all about the tools.

"If the ocean is glass flat and the sun is shining, you open up the special memory compartment of your brain and start recording the smells, sounds, sights and feelings." -- Philster

"Poets talk about 'spots of time,' but it is really fishermen who experience eternity compressed into a moment. No one can tell what a spot of time is until suddenly the whole world is a fish and the fish is gone. I shall remember that son of a b**** forever." -- N. Maclean

Seaman Apprentice

Think I got it! I hooked up the motor direct to the battery and it spins fine. I then put all the wires where they should be and tried it. trolling motor turn L&R but no prop spinning and just clicking from the board. I'll try hitting it a few times and if that doesn't work, must be time for a new control board. Maybe I should ask the selling to cover this added cost??

Chief Petty Officer

My minn kota clicks when i press the on off switch. No idea why, but it runs fine..