Please note this thread has been inactive for 90 days. For the best results, please start a new thread.

Default Johnson 2400 Pedal Steering Cable

The steering cable currently on the trolling motor has rusted over the year and is no longer functional. I've looked on the cable itself, but can't find a part number. The trolling motor itself is a Johnson 2400. Does anyone know where I can find a replacement cable, or if any generic cable with a similar length would work?

Default Re: Johnson 2400 Pedal Steering Cable

Ayuh,... Welcome Aboard,.... That motor is older than dirt, ain't it,..??

My guess is, either ya fix it yerself, by whatever means possible,...
    Or,...
    It's Parts...
    Any Grease is Better,..... Than No Grease at All.......

It's definitely an old motor. The boat was handed down to me by my dad. I figured I would have a hardtime finding a cable for it. The cable itself isn't repairable, but id hate to get a whole new motor since is runs great.

Ayuh,... Got any pictures,..??

There's no end to the Creative Engineerin' that goes on 'round here,....

Here's 1 picture I have. 224688_507412377572_320100059_145235_1971021_n.jpg It was my dad's Norris Craft. I want to say it's an 85. 17.5'. Has a Mariner 200 according to the title, but 150 stickers. I guess that's how he fished in a lower class? It's been in storage for a couple of years and I've had it on the water 3 times last fall before putting in away for the winter. Before I take it out again, I would like to get the trolling motor replaced/fixed, and I'm having problems with the water pump. At idle/low speeds, the temp will rise fairly quickly and requires me to turn the motor off. There isn't much water pressure at all (2psi if I recall). Once I get up to speed though it cools down just fine. I have yet to tear the lower unit apart and I'm not familiar with the parts at all, so I'm sure I'll be back here for more questions.

Quote Originally Posted by tristanlee85 View Post
    Here's 1 picture I have. 224688_507412377572_320100059_145235_1971021_n.jpg It was my dad's Norris Craft. I want to say it's an 85. 17.5'. Has a Mariner 200 according to the title, but 150 stickers. I guess that's how he fished in a lower class? It's been in storage for a couple of years and I've had it on the water 3 times last fall before putting in away for the winter. Before I take it out again, I would like to get the trolling motor replaced/fixed, and I'm having problems with the water pump. At idle/low speeds, the temp will rise fairly quickly and requires me to turn the motor off. There isn't much water pressure at all (2psi if I recall). Once I get up to speed though it cools down just fine. I have yet to tear the lower unit apart and I'm not familiar with the parts at all, so I'm sure I'll be back here for more questions.
    Ayuh,... Ya need to change the impeller every year, or maybe 2...
    That'll probably fix the overheatin'...

When I said post pictures,...
    I meant of the cable ya need....

You'll have to go to the Mercury / Mariner forum for more motor info...

Remove the cable from the motor and go shopping. Check the local farm stores, hardware stores, implement dealers, Toro, Husqvarna yard equipment dealers etc. You need a cable the approximate length of the old one. It is unlikely the ends will be the same so that's where the "creativity" kicks in. The next stop would be hardware stores to look for things that could be used as an adapter. If you are not mechanically inclined, then this may be a hopeless cause. But if you can operate a drive, use a hacksaw, know which end of a file or screwdriver to hold, you should be able to engineer a fix.

I think I found the cable on the Evinrude online store. I'll have to pull my cable off tonight and check that it's the same as the diagram on their site. The model according to the manual I found is a JBFL4T. Mechanical ability is not a problem. I just wouldn't mind spending the extra $$ for an original part if possible.