Please note this thread has been inactive for 90 days. For the best results, please start a new thread.

Default Installing Minnkota Deckhand 25 anchoring system

Ok So I am a new boat owner and I am interested in installing a Deckhand 25 anchoring system. Does anyone have any advice or tips??? Especially when it comes to wiring it into the fuse panel.

Thanks!

Honorary Moderator Emeritus tashasdaddy's Avatar

Default Re: Installing Minnkota Deckhand 25 anchoring system

depending on the draw, it may have to be wire like a trolling motor, direct feed with circuit breaker.
    FLORIDA GATORS
    TEBOW Country

Please, NO PM's (Private Messages) regarding boat/engine problems. they will not be answered.
    That is what these forums are for. Post your questions, in the appropriate Forum.

Quote Originally Posted by tashasdaddy View Post
    depending on the draw, it may have to be wire like a trolling motor, direct feed with circuit breaker.
    Well it (the Deckhand unit itself) has a circuit breaker already installed, however, it is a 12 volt motor and I have a 24 volt system... Again, any help would be appreciated.

You have a 24 volt system for the trolling motor. You DO NOT have 24 volt system for the starter or other boat circuits. You can wire it to the starting battery. Just because you have two batteries in series for 24 volts doesn't mean you can't connect a 12V device directly to one of the batteries. To be on the safe side, wire it to the first battery (not the one that feeds the troller).

Quote Originally Posted by Silvertip View Post
    You have a 24 volt system for the trolling motor. You DO NOT have 24 volt system for the starter or other boat circuits. You can wire it to the starting battery. Just because you have two batteries in series for 24 volts doesn't mean you can't connect a 12V device directly to one of the batteries. To be on the safe side, wire it to the first battery (not the one that feeds the troller).
    I've got three batteries. Just the engine runs off the starting battery and the two more forward batteries are connected in series and I am trying to avoid running the wires all the way to the back of the boat... Is this possible?

Thanks!

just connect it to one of the deep cycles, making sure it dosn't touch the other wires connecting the two batteries, and it will be 12 v, I'm pretty sure. Run it off the screws, and hook the batteries up by the terminals. that should work, but a lot of those systems have built in voltage converters, so even if 24 v is going to the system, it shound convert it back to 12.
    16 ft runabout w/ 70 hp evinrude
    26 ft grampain sailboat

That's what I just explained! WARNING: DO NOT connect it to the red and black wires going to the troller because that's 24V. Wire it directly to EITHER battery.

Honorary Moderator Emeritus tashasdaddy's Avatar

and put a circuit breaker there, if not you could get a short in the harness and burn up the harness, possibly causing a fire, battery to blow. i have had batteries get hot enough to melt the battery post.
    FLORIDA GATORS
    TEBOW Country

Please, NO PM's (Private Messages) regarding boat/engine problems. they will not be answered.
    That is what these forums are for. Post your questions, in the appropriate Forum.

Quote Originally Posted by eudubmad82 View Post
    Ok So I am a new boat owner and I am interested in installing a Deckhand 25 anchoring system. Does anyone have any advice or tips??? Especially when it comes to wiring it into the fuse panel.

Thanks!

I've always been interested in one of these. If you install it do me a flavor and take some pics or even a video of it working and let me know how you like it.

BIll

Quote Originally Posted by Splat View Post
    I've always been interested in one of these. If you install it do me a flavor and take some pics or even a video of it working and let me know how you like it.

BIll
    No problem. I fish by myself a lot and probably use the trolling motor 75% of the time and anchor 25% of the time. It is going to be nice to just hit a switch and take off. I am also looking forward to using the controlled drift function as well.

That's what I just explained! WARNING: DO NOT connect it to the red and black wires going to the troller because that's 24V. Wire it directly to EITHER battery.
    Ok so even though the two batteries' positive terminals are connected, if I just connect the trolling motor to one or the other I will be ok? The deckhand has a sealed circuit breaker installed on the positive wire so I think I'm good as far as the circuit breaker goes.

Thanks again guys, I really appreciate your time.

You should still have a circuit breaker right at the battery, in the event of a wire grounding out, will cut the power going to it before it starts a fire.

BIll

Lets make sure you understand what you have. You said "even if the batteries POSITIVE terminals are connected". In a 24 volt system the battery positive terminals ARE NOT connected. If that's what you have you have two twelve volt batteries in parallel which is still 12V. Batteries in series have the positive of one battery connected to the negative of the next. The positive terminal of the second battery is feed to the troller. The negative of the first battery is the ground for the troller.

Lets make sure you understand what you have. You said "even if the batteries POSITIVE terminals are connected". In a 24 volt system the battery positive terminals ARE NOT connected. If that's what you have you have two twelve volt batteries in parallel which is still 12V. Batteries in series have the positive of one battery connected to the negative of the next. The positive terminal of the second battery is feed to the troller. The negative of the first battery is the ground for the troller.
    Yeah I'm sorry, one positive is connected to the other negative.