Please note this thread has been inactive for 90 days. For the best results, please start a new thread.
    Cadet

Default How do I mount a trolling motor on my 2002 bayliner, open bow?

I have a 2002 balyliner capri 175 which has the open bow. I cant find a spot to mount a bow mount trolling motor. Does anyone know of a mount that will allow me to install the motor? What size of motor so I need?

Thanks!

Default Re: How do I mount a trolling motor on my 2002 bayliner, open bow?

If you have room up front for just one battery you will need the biggest 12V motor with would be a 55# thrust from either MinnKota or MotorGuide. As for mounting, by a quick release plate. Trolling motors mount diagonally at the bow so when stowed, it runs along side rail of the boat. Your boat probably does not have flat surfaces in that area so you'll need to fabricate some shims from hardwood or make them from fiberglass that conform to contour of your boat and makes the plate level. You could use a stack of rubber washers but the fabricated shims will make a much nicer looking installation. The other half of the quick release bolts to the bottom of the motor so it can be quickly removed from the boat.

Cadet

I made a mount out of high density ethalene and mounted it to the bow of the boat with rubber mounts. seemed to work great but will find out when I take it to the lake.

Cadet

I have a 17.5' Starcraft (fiberglas) Bowrider sport boat and the shape of the bow gunnel comes up into a point. Is this the way your bayliner is? I would love more information, photos, etc of how you made your bow mount work. I cant seem to see how shimming a plate on this would be strong enough.

Also, what did you use on the underside (inside the hull) for support. Do you need a plate or large washers or is the hull strong enough for the motor.

Any help or photos would be greatly appreciated!

E-mail: gary@splitsecondmarketing.ca

Cheers,

Gary

Honorary Moderator Emeritus tashasdaddy's Avatar

this is a center console, but same principle. this is a removable mount, and has a cover plate when the motor is off.

FLORIDA GATORS
    TEBOW Country

Please, NO PM's (Private Messages) regarding boat/engine problems. they will not be answered.
    That is what these forums are for. Post your questions, in the appropriate Forum.

This is how I mounted a 45lb thrust Motorguide wireless on my previous boat... It's also a Bayliner but older... a 93 1600 Classic...

15' Calibogie

Honorary Moderator Emeritus tashasdaddy's Avatar

on min eyou can see i moved the bow light, and bow cleat, being able to get more angle, so it did not intrude on the bow area. i do have to be carefull when docking on the port side.
    FLORIDA GATORS
    TEBOW Country

Please, NO PM's (Private Messages) regarding boat/engine problems. they will not be answered.
    That is what these forums are for. Post your questions, in the appropriate Forum.