Please note this thread has been inactive for 90 days. For the best results, please start a new thread.

Default Fuel gauge reading full all the time

My fuel gauge is full at all times, I have apprx. 1/4 tank of gas. I replaced the sending unit as suspecting this as the problem. I have read through several threads on this site and performed all the troubleshooting tips to no avail. My grounds are good my gauge is functioning, I ohm check the new sender and ohms check fine. I ran a temporary sender wire frome gauge to sender with no change. I have 12 volts on I terminal and 8 volts from S to Grnd. Does this sound correct. Any information would be helpful.
    Thanks

Default Re: Fuel gauge reading full all the time

Does it read full with the key OFF as well? If it does, the gauge is stuck and must be replaced. If not, it is probably shorted internally as the tests you indicate appear normal.

Quote Originally Posted by Silvertip View Post
    Does it read full with the key OFF as well? If it does, the gauge is stuck and must be replaced. If not, it is probably shorted internally as the tests you indicate appear normal.
    With the key off the gauge reads empty, I was thinking the sender itself was possibly shorted internally. Checking the sender unit out of the tank with the key switch on I can see movement on the gauge well above the full mark, never going below full though.

Did you try reversing the wires?
    Grady White 226
    200 Evinrude Ocean Pro
    Evinrude Renegade Offshore Prop

Furuno FCV 587 Sounder
    Garmin 4208 Multifunction Display
    ICOM M504A VHF
    Shakespeare Galaxy 5225-XT Antennas

In your original post you said you checked the sender resistance and it is fine. So an internal short in the sender is not a possiblity IF you actually measured the resistance and it is 30 240 ohms as you swing the arm. If not, you have a bad sender. If a sender works outside the tank but not when installed, it usually means the float is hanging up on something in the tank. So you need to be sure the sender is good or not.

Kpete856, if you find a resolution to your gauge reading problem, let me know please, sir. I have an identical issue. I put in a new sender, ohms readings across the sender are within manufacturer's specifications range. Before inserting the float are, it seemed to travel freely. It's hard to imagine that the float travel is obstructed inside the tank.

What happens if you disconnect the sender wire from the "S" terminal on the gauge?

Master Chief Petty Officer

Quote Originally Posted by 02 Silverado View Post
    Kpete856, if you find a resolution to your gauge reading problem, let me know please, sir. I have an identical issue. I put in a new sender, ohms readings across the sender are within manufacturer's specifications range. Before inserting the float are, it seemed to travel freely. It's hard to imagine that the float travel is obstructed inside the tank.
    Please post your issue under it's own thread, hijacking another thread only adds to the confusion.
    1985 Baretta Vanguard 16ft & 1984 Evinrude 75hp O/B

****Running your motor without water is like peeing into the wind, it's a stupid impulse that is going to be a mess later****