Please note this thread has been inactive for 90 days. For the best results, please start a new thread.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Petty Officer 1st Class 98Shabah's Avatar

Default Deer carcasses being dumped in the subdivision.. ideas?

There is a creek that runs under a bridge at the entrance to our subdivision, it also happens to be where the bus picks up the kids. Three deer carcasses have appeared in the creek in the last 2 weeks (visible from the road and bridge), two of them are partially wrapped in plastic, the third isn't, all three have limbs removed and tossed nearby. We are pretty sure we know who it is that is doing the dumping, the guy has been seen gutting a deer in his garage one day, the next day the first deer ended up in the creek. The next time he was seen with a dead deer laying in his driveway, again the next day the second deer was in the creek.

Any ideas on how to handle this?
    1998 Mariah 182 Shabah 3.0
    Tow vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 quad cab 4.7 2wd

Default Re: Deer carcasses being dumped in the subdivision.. ideas?

Never heard of anyone gutting a deer in their garage. Is he missing a few marbles? I would call the authorities. Tell them what you know. Try and get the neighbors to do the same. Then let the authorities handle the issue...... That's just nasty.... Could turn into a health issue if the deer aren't removed....
    How to start an argument online:
    1) Express an opinion
    2) Wait

2003 1650 Crestliner Fishawk SC
    Johnson 60hp, 4 stroke, electronic fuel inj.
    1979 Crestliner Crusader II 2455
    Volvo/Penta 260hp Chevy, 280 outdrive SOLD

Lieutenant Commander

What, he just guts them and then tosses the carcass? Sounds like he' after some organs or something. Your DNR officers will find it very interesting i bet.

Are you saying that it is basically the skeletal remains of the deer, the cut up deer, with hide on, or the deer less the hind quarters and back straps???? Just trying to get a picture of this.

Carcasses will be gone in no time ... predators and decomposition, so that isn't a major issue. But what are the laws about the number of deer you can harvest there? Is it in season? Is the guy well known? Neighbor? Nice?

Might want to talk to him, stating that you have seen some deer in his possession, then you see deer carcasses in the stream. If they are his, he might want to find a more discreet place to dump them. Or you may just want to notify the authorites and tell them what you know and share you concerns, letting them handle it.
    Rules of Repair:
    1. If it ain't broke, give me a hammer, it will be!
    2. You only need 2 tools in life - WD-40 and Duct Tape. If it doesn't move, and it should, use WD-40. If it moves, and it shouldn't, use Duct Tape!
    3. If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

Commander

Not only is it unethical but its also against the law in most states to dump deer carcasses in creeks, road sides and ditches. If it were me I would notify the game wardens next time you see him dressing an animal in his garage and let them set up and catch him.

Interesting that this came up. A few weeks ago I had an appointment with a GA DNR Ranger to inspect my boat to finalize registration. He called me and I answered the phone and heard a noise and then a dial tone. After a few minutes he called back and apologized for hanging up. Long story short he was checking into deer dumping. Someone had dumped 15 carcasses over the course of deer season at the end of a dead end road on private property. The owner was getting ticked. Here's the bad part. The Ranger has a good idea who is doing it, but DNR has no money to set up cameras or stake out the site. He has to randomly check in the hopes of catching the poacher. All he does is take backstraps and hind quarters, wasting the rest. I hope the ranger gets his man.

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Return the deer to their owner. Take the rotting carcasses out of the creek and put them in the guys garage or leave them on his front porch. Sometimes its the only way to get through to people.

Petty Officer 1st Class

When you see a third deer in his driveway stake the place out. After you have solid proof that is the guy who is doing the dumping, try a little southern justice on him. Why not go dump it on his front doorstep?
    Keith

1993 27' Crownline 250CR
    Volvo 740 (7.4 ltr. engine)
    DP-D1 Sterndrive

iboats.com: A boat owner's best friend... if you're fortunate enough to be on land!

Petty Officer 1st Class erwinner's Avatar

Put one of these up in a discrete place. Pictures say 1000 words.
    1989 Grumman 14" with 2010 Mercury 15hp 4 stroke
    1972 Starcraft Chieftain with 115hp Mercury Tower of Power!
    Chieftain Restore (slowly) Thread!- http://forums.iboats.com/showthread....85#post3652485

There is absolutely no reason to confront anyone. A simple call to the local DNR advising them of the dumped carcass is all you have to do. Itís their job. Let them handle it.
    Grady White 226
    200 Evinrude Ocean Pro
    Evinrude Renegade Offshore Prop

Furuno FCV 587 Sounder
    Garmin 4208 Multifunction Display
    ICOM M504A VHF
    Shakespeare Galaxy 5225-XT Antennas

Thanks guys. I don't really know anything about the guy that we strongly suspect is the culprit. Honestly, if a guy wants to butcher a deer in his garage and then take it into the woods to let nature take it's course I have no problem with it. Wrapping them in plastic and tossing them off a bridge where all the rest of us have to see and smell them is not cool.

I'd really like to drag them out of the creek with the wife's jeep and leave them in his front yard, but ill try to be civil first. I called the Missouri department of conservation, they were very interested and are sending an agent out to look into it.

The wildlife camera is a great idea.. That may be the next step.

Rear Admiral

Quote Originally Posted by 98Shabah View Post
    There is a creek that runs under a bridge at the entrance to our subdivision, it also happens to be where the bus picks up the kids. Three deer carcasses have appeared in the creek in the last 2 weeks (visible from the road and bridge), two of them are partially wrapped in plastic, the third isn't, all three have limbs removed and tossed nearby. We are pretty sure we know who it is that is doing the dumping, the guy has been seen gutting a deer in his garage one day, the next day the first deer ended up in the creek. The next time he was seen with a dead deer laying in his driveway, again the next day the second deer was in the creek.

Any ideas on how to handle this?
    When the DNR and law enforcement gets hold of this meatball, it's liable to cost him a bundle$$$....Even plain ignorance is no excuse for creating this health and evironmental hazard!

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I have gutted deer in my garage, and a hog or two. The deer were road kill, and did self butcher, the cleanup was send body parts with the trash. Kept the blood for the roses, wife was ready to kill me till she saw the roses the following year. The hogs were for a hog roast cleanup the same. He may have only kept the straps on the inside that are the most tender. He needs to be drawn and quartered.

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Gutted? As in, remove entrails? In the garage? Weird.

Gut pile stays in the woods. Technically supposed to carry them out, so you're not feeding coyotes, but that's a lot of (extra) dead weight.

I happily SKIN my deer in the garage though.

Either way, hope they catch the guy. I'll turn my head for the guy who's taking more than the legal limit to make sure his family has food on the table for the year, but those guys are usually the ones taking the extra time to pick every ounce of meat off the deer. If you're just doing it for a couple steaks, you're ruining it for everyone.

I would call the DNR in your area and let them handle it, don't touch the carcasses let DNR handle it and any subsequent investigation. Field dressing an animal should be done in the woods and left in the woods for mother nature to take care of. Unless your from PA hunting in Colorado with your own mobile Butchering facility.......

The idea that you don't want to feed the Coyotes is absurd and just another BS regulation by those empowered with keeping their thumb on us.

I would be interested in pics of the Carcasses though to see exactly what has been done, these could have been roadkill which would explain why some are still intact but to be honest 98Shabah probably doesn't know the specific terms that hunters do so pics would probably be in order, in any event discarding them in a running creek is unethical and should be investigated properly.
    2000 Crownline 248 BR
    454 MPI Bravo III
    "Wet Lipps II"
    2006 Dodge CTD 3500 4X4 Bighorn Edition

Idealy would like to think guy has inside connection to road kills ie sherrif ,state highway patrol , or tow truck driver , and owns land upto and around your subdivision and tried to dispose in trash and vermon has drug to creek hence plastic . Most are aware of sensitive people sight,smell .Not intenisional unless has bone to pick. Heck just go and ask the guy or clean up your self if you are so concerened.

Lieutenant Commander

Sounds like he's butchering the deer and dumping whats left in the creek. Deer legs have no edible meat from the elbow or knee joint on down to the hooves. He may not be gutting them at all and taking only the hams and backstraps, we call this the poachers way to butcher deer. I try to leave the entrails of the deer I hunt where the deer died (in the woods). Foxes, coyotes, possums, coons, crows, buzzards will devour it in no time, but not if it's in a creek, it rots forever and stinks and puts bacteria that is bad for wildlife into the stream critters drink from, not cool at all. This guy is a lazy jack*****, and has to know this is illegall and offensive to anyone who sees or smells his carelessly dumped carcasses. Guys like him give all hunters a bad reputation and I hope they catch and prosecute and take his dam licence away if he even has one!! A skinned and well butchered carcass minus guts, doesn'y stink nearly as bad or long as a gut pile or a dead ungutted deer. They will linger longer in suburbs w/o the scavengers that consume them readily in the forest or the country.

I do know in the state of Ohio if you have any wild game in your freezer that you do not have a tag for is a big high dollar violation. However, they (ODNR) must have a good reason to get a search warrant.

Most hunters around here field dress their deer. I usually take mine to a butcher shop and let them deal with the disposal of the unwanted parts. One of the guys I use will ask if I want the hide or to sell it to a buddy of his than runs a tannery. I like the idea of hauling it in and picking up nice packaged meat to my specks.

I live by an area that deer cross often. (I wonder if the deer crossing sign was moved if the deer would follow?) Usually an Officer will knock on the door asking if I want a deer that just got hit. Sometimes I take it and if I don't they have other contacts that will take it for homeless shelters.

Disposing of the carcase in a stream shows signs that the person is very ignorant of what issues it can cause.
    BEER........Helping ugly people find true Love since 1862

I agree with Lipp ... especially concerning the mobile butcher shop! LOL! If the guy wants it done right, I know who he could call ...
    Rules of Repair:
    1. If it ain't broke, give me a hammer, it will be!
    2. You only need 2 tools in life - WD-40 and Duct Tape. If it doesn't move, and it should, use WD-40. If it moves, and it shouldn't, use Duct Tape!
    3. If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

Well I have a little more info now after talking to neighbors. I'm no hunter so I'm sure my terminology is way off. lol. The suspected individual apparently had a big bbq for his buddies this past Sunday and now there are a total of 5 deer in the creek. Question though, if he is doing the field dressing in his garage wouldn't that mean he has just recently killed them? The reason I ask is that I see deer in our neighborhood all the time.. Monday night coming home from work at 8:45 4 of them walked across the street as I was entering the neighborhood.

The conservation agent is coming by this morning to take pictures and remove the carcasses from the creek, it is illegal in Missouri to dump dead animals in waterways. The agent also said he'll take DNA samples from the carcasses, which is a bit surprising. Unfortunately the guy has to be doing something suspicious (another big BBQ or gutting another deer in the garage) for the agent to pay him a visit. The agent did say that he can be there in 30 minutes and can test any meat in his freezer against the carcasses as well as check to see if he has tags for the deer as well as a permit.

Lieutenant Commander

Perhaps he's butchering/packageing deer for others for profit like mentioned before? Or his huntin buddies bring their's, to butcher them at his garage, and dump the leftovers in the creek when they leave his place. Whatever, If the deer are coming from his garage, he's an donkeyhole, and I would wager the dumpsite is nowhere near HIS house. I would place a large sign on the roadside, near the dumping saying, STOP DUMPING DEAD ANIMALS IN THIS CREEK YOU INCONSIDERATE, POOR EXCUSE FOR A SPORTSMAN. PS law enforcement notified. But I would tell the agent first of my plan,...... He may want to catch the jerk, not have him just start dumping somewhere else like another bridge or creek.

Yeah, what mommicked said, any way he is getting the deer, disposing of them in the creek is wrong, If he is poaching these deer and then processing them in his garage he will lose his home, I believe that Poaching is the biggest crime he could be guilty of if in fact that is what he is doing which I doubt. Poaching, any personal property used in the commission of the crime of Poaching can be siezed by the DNR, I believe this is standard across the United States too! Could be a home, truck, ATV, boat or all of the above!

He could be processing his buddies kills, he could be a fortunate Hunter and processing culled animals from a farm or DNR Designatee, or he could be processing animals that are roadkill, all of which are legal, we just don't know......yet!
    I am very interested in what develops in this story though
    2000 Crownline 248 BR
    454 MPI Bravo III
    "Wet Lipps II"
    2006 Dodge CTD 3500 4X4 Bighorn Edition

My wife saw the conservation agent on her way into the neighborhood tonight and stopped to talk to him. He already had all of the carcasses pulled from the creek, of course there were no tags on any of them, and he said this is the worst he's seen in a long time, especially in such a highly populated area. He also mentioned that he thinks this could end up being a federal case, which is a bit surprising. The agent said that the fire department will be here tomorrow to flush the creek out with fresh water. I'll keep you guys updated.

Lieutenant Commander

................patiently awaiting update...............

Sorry, no updates on this, no more deer have been dumped.. I guess his freezer was full. We're keeping an eye on the house, if he has any more big bbqs or appears with more deer we will be calling the conservation agent.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast