Shop iboats.com for all your boating needs!

Please note this thread has been inactive for 90 days. For the best results, please start a new thread.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: cathedral thunderbird boat

Quote Originally Posted by 1sttimeowner View Post
    I found a cathedral thunderbird boat for sale today,has anyone ever heard of them?
    How much are they asking for yours out of curiosity? I am checking on e out tomorrow. 1972 cathedral with 90hp mercury original trailer, new tires, lots of basics(oars,life jackets,fish finder,original cover) etc. $1500. Am I getting ripped off or good deal? My research thinks good deal with what I know so far. Anybody help? Thanks

Fellow Thunderbird owners,
    I'm new to boating and just purchased what I believe to be a 1966 Thunderbird Cheyenne, but i'm not sure. My serial # is CY66521. I have yet to find any in depth information about the boat, and I don't really think the guy I bought it from knew what it was for sure. Can anyone help? Thanks.

-Dave

Thunderbird Owners Hello!

I was given a Thunderbird '67 Commanche or what I believe it to be. It seems to be in great condition for how old it was and are underway on our project. I have attached some pictures to show you the beginning of the project. I currently need your assistance in finding a windshield for this boat. The starboard side of the boats windshield was very foggy, and I tried to clean it up but it ended up breaking on me. As you can see in the picture it was a curved windshield. The engine on it is a 70HP Johnson that started up after a couple pulls with a string since the battery was dead. Any help with the windshield would be much appriciated .
    Attached Images Attached Images

Cadet

I have a 72 Comanche, I am planing the same restoration project for this fall. I was exited to see that your stringers appear to be in great shape and that they are encapsulated in fiberglass. I hope my superstructure looks as good as yours. How was the deck attatched to the stringers? Was the foam a pain to remove? Do you have any more pics?

Cadet

I have a 19 foot 72 Comanche, I am planing the same restoration project for this fall. I can't wait to get started. I was exited to see that your stringers appear to be in great shape and that they are encapsulated in fiberglass. I hope my superstructure looks as good as yours. How was the deck attatched to the stringers? Was the foam a pain to remove? Do you have any more pics?

Cadet

Hi Thunderbird Boat Owners;

New to forum but have been a marine service professional for 40 years. Since I was a young teen working the fuel docks in the late 60's I have loved the Thunderbird cathedrals.

Well, anyway I picked up a 68 Comanche (just what I wanted) with 120 Mercruiser power this spring. It has generally escaped the ravages of time and owner neglect even though the previous owner was an expert cobbler. It did indicate bad wood in the stbd side transom and the cabin top where the windshield mounts. Otherwise, all the other wood is in excellent condition. I do have a few mechanical issues to resolve but they will be addressed when the engine is pulled for the transom work.

Thanks to all for your project boat inputs. Thanks to scallawag61 and maglite4cell for the pics. It was great to see the stringer placement as I begin the transom phase of my project.

Steve

Cadet

Quote Originally Posted by jay_merrill View Post
    Just in case anyone is still watching this thread, I just bought a 19' Cheyenne. It needs a lot of work but I already have found out that it actually looks quite a bit worse than it is.

If any of you guys want to trade info, please feel free to PM me. I'll be checking the new forum in a minute too.

PS: Oops, I see that I am already here ... I found this thread while doing a google search trying to find info on the boat.

PS: I found out awhile ago that my boat is actually a Commanche, not a Cheyenne. They are very similar in appearance, but the Commanche has a longer cuddy and a shorter cockpit.
    don the boatguy Ijust bought a thuderbird trihull it is 18ft 3in been sitting for 6yrs has a125 johnson that will turn by hand at flywheel needs lots of tlc it looks like yours Iam new here just want to neet pepole my wife told me 6 boats are to many ? mabey

I think I have a 1971 Comanche. Can anyone confirm? I am planning on going to work on this thing soon. Would LOVE to know what I am working on.

Petty Officer 1st Class

Looks like a nice project. I am retoring my Thunderbird Seminole now. These are great boats, built like a tank. Keep us posted with your progress.

Thumbs up Re: cathedral thunderbird boat

Any ideas on my boat? I have many times thought about getting rid of it but, it is such a champ and great for fishing.

Cadet

yes in deed...i have a 1968 tri hull cathedral thunderbird boat........love to see some pic...can u post any.....i can do the same.

I have a 68' Thunderbird Tr-Hull "Sioux" 16.5' ---AWESOME---I run a 78' Merc o/b 140hp str6, another Awesome, TOWER of POWER, and as you know, Nothin else has the "unique" sound as your flying across the water...

Seaman

to ALL,

i've been reading this thread (as well as some others about classic T-birds) & have to admit that i'm downright envious! = of all the big cathedrals, the Thunderbird is "THE REAL DEAL".
    (i won't bore everyone with my "long sad story" about having found a NICE '67 Cheyenne w/dead straight 6 Mercruiser to restore/rebuild to "live bait/drift fish" out of & then lost it. = wasn't fun.)

i'm in SATX & have never seen another decent one since, in even relatively close driving distance!

yours, PG
    Resistance to tyrants is obedience to God. - Thomas Jefferson

Cadet

I have a Sioux 17 footer, really 16'5 1969 with merc V6 140

Cadet

Cadet

look c my 16.5 Sioux 1968 w 140 Merc v6

DSCF0443.jpgDSCF0445.jpg1968 T-bird "SIOUX" 17 ft. 140 Mercury S-6 o/b. Boat and Hull almost in PURRfect condition...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2