Please note this thread has been inactive for 90 days. For the best results, please start a new thread.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Chief Petty Officer

Default Vaseline hull application

Could we get a thread going on specifics on application and what has yielded the best results for you. I have searched all threads but have not come up with a concrete way of application. Ive applied it to a small area and after only letting it sit for a couple hours and I'm very pleased and it has already out shined everything I've tried before but want to know the best way to do it. This is not a thread to voice your opinion on using Vaseline but simply results and application for those who have already used it.

Default Re: Vaseline hull application

Quote Originally Posted by xxturbowesxx View Post
    Could we get a thread going on specifics on application and what has yielded the best results for you. I have searched all threads but have not come up with a concrete way of application. Ive applied it to a small area and after only letting it sit for a couple hours and I'm very pleased and it has already out shined everything I've tried before but want to know the best way to do it. This is not a thread to voice your opinion on using Vaseline but simply results and application for those who have already used it.
    I would go for that-
    Opinions go on & on & on & , well, you know

MY FISHIN BUDDY
    East Texas Redneck
    SEMPER FI
    USMC '67 - '70

I simply apply it with a piece of an old towel, small area at a time then let it soak in the sun for a while followed by wiping with a cotton (old shirt) type cloth.
    That's it and I won't even give my opinion on my thoughts on the finish.
    Marada 2100 Executive Series, 5 Litre V8 with Mercruiser Alpha 1 outdrive. 2007 K-Z Spree 260 RBH, all = a whole lot of family fun !!!!

I just posted in the other vaseline topic I used a foam wax pad to apply the vaseline I will let sit all nite and all day tomorrow. Then I will take a photo and post results. I did put some on some scratches about 4 weeks ago and it still looks good.

Chief Petty Officer

Quote Originally Posted by kenmyfam View Post
    I simply apply it with a piece of an old towel, small area at a time then let it soak in the sun for a while followed by wiping with a cotton (old shirt) type cloth.
    That's it and I won't even give my opinion on my thoughts on the finish.
    thats not what i meant basically just didn't want people in here ranting about why you shouldn't do it but if you have tried it I'm definitely interested in the results and how long it has held up.

Im also curious as to how the sun helps does the vaseline just react to heat?

Banned

I have used it and am very pleased. I used a microfiber cloth to apply it. I let it absorb into the gel for a week! I was amazed at how well it cleaned my hull, and the fact that it removed oxidation quickly.
    If you leave the jar out in the sun it will almost liquefy, and is very easy to apply.
    After it sat for a week, I went over the entire hull with another microfiber cloth. After another week or so I applied polish on top.

Looks great!

Chief Petty Officer

Quote Originally Posted by skargo View Post
    I have used it and am very pleased. I used a microfiber cloth to apply it. I let it absorb into the gel for a week! I was amazed at how well it cleaned my hull, and the fact that it removed oxidation quickly.
    If you leave the jar out in the sun it will almost liquefy, and is very easy to apply.
    After it sat for a week, I went over the entire hull with another microfiber cloth. After another week or so I applied polish on top.

Looks great!
    One week..? Its hot in Florida right now . I think I'm going to try 2 days of sunlight and maybe reapply next week. I stripped all of the poliglow off and I applied it completely(looks awesome). I have the boat sitting out where the sun can get to it but unfortunately it rained almost immediately after.

[IMG]http://i44.photobucket

This was a test spot one day no polish or wax yet. I have gone over this spot with everything I had and I think I might go over the whole blue area with the vaseline only so far that has been the only thing that made it look like this. skargo how long has it held the shine and has any oxidation shown thru?
    Last edited by MRS; August 13th, 2009 at 10:55 PM. Reason: photo

Mine is still looking great since mid June.
    Marada 2100 Executive Series, 5 Litre V8 with Mercruiser Alpha 1 outdrive. 2007 K-Z Spree 260 RBH, all = a whole lot of family fun !!!!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by MRS View Post
    [IMG]http://i44.photobucket

This was a test spot one day no polish or wax yet. I have gone over this spot with everything I had and I think I might go over the whole blue area with the vaseline only so far that has been the only thing that made it look like this. skargo how long has it held the shine and has any oxidation shown thru?
    Mine has held the shine for a couple months now, and no more oxidation.

Thanks guys that is what I was hopeing to hear will wash and vaseline it tonight. If I do use boat this weekend no big deal for two bucks a jar will rewash after use and reapply Thanks again........

Lieutenant Commander 25thmustang's Avatar

I think I might try the vasoline trick on my boat... MY white hull is very oxodized and spotty. I do have some questions though.

Will the application of the product cause it to look spotty when it is removed? If I don't apply it perfect will I have areas that look better, and those that look worse. That was my major issue when trying to polish the boat before.

If I apply it to the boat and intend to let it sit, would there be an issue if it gets wet. The dew usually sets in, and lately we have been getting spotty rain showers. I want to apply it, let it sit for a few days, and pretty much KNOW it will end up raining within that timeframe. Is this going to be an issue?

Lastly, how much would I need to do a 27' express cruiser. I am really only concerned with the hull, below the rub rail at this time.

Thanks guys.
    Boat: 1987 29' Cruisers Inc 297 Elegante. T/270 Crusaders. (SOLD)
    Boat #2: 1984 34' Silverton 34C. T/270 Crusaders. Westerbeke Gen.
    Updating Thread: http://forums.iboats.com/boat-restor...vy-534493.html
    Race Car: 1989 Mustang LX 5.0. 12.5 on slicks, 12.9 on street tires.

The vaseline will shed the rain off your hull. Should not be a problem.

There was a simular thread not to long ago about this same question, I found it to be pretty interesting info, Good luck and let us know how it worked out for you, the more I read the more I get opininions on what everyone thinks is best.
    http://forums.iboats.com/showthread....soline+opinion

1991 Bayliner Capri 2050CX,4.3L V6,Mercarb 2bbl,Alpha 1
    (QUOTE): When our boat is happy, THEN we are Happy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Put the vaseline without the metal lid, into the microwave for about 10 seconds. softens it up. Try 10 second intrevals for liquifying.
    Captharv
    Certified Old Boater

Worked really well on the teal part of my hull. On the white part it either evaporated or soaked in...not sure which but in spots it was gone completely after several hours.

I tried to contain myself...but I escaped!

Scott & Roxanne
    1989 Carver Santego 30
    Twin Merc 5.7L Alphas

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by captharv View Post
    Put the vaseline without the metal lid, into the microwave for about 10 seconds. softens it up. Try 10 second intrevals for liquifying.
    Mine liquefied in the hot sun when I left it outside by accident for the whole day.

my hull has a few spot that are a little spotty I did coat all the blue last night and will leave on till tomorrow. It does look like the spots are blending in with the rest of the colour so far will let you know. P.S. it is really looking nice......

Rubbed in a thin coat on & left it a few hrs & hand "buffed" it out-
    Looks 110% better
    Time will tell

MY FISHIN BUDDY
    East Texas Redneck
    SEMPER FI
    USMC '67 - '70

Petty Officer 1st Class

my boat partner and I did a cut and buff on outer hull from waterline up (boats under restore) then topside we must hve put on 2 jars of vaseline but our interntion is to leave it set. The vaseline melts in the hot sun and soaks into the glass, whn its cool it firms up alittle and acts like a barrier. unfortunatly the bugs tend to like it at night. We re just leavin it on for now to help prevent any oxidization.
    You might try a little on your bow rail as well.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Boss Hawg View Post
    Rubbed in a thin coat on & left it a few hrs & hand "buffed" it out-
    Looks 110% better
    Time will tell
    You really should leave it on for days, not hours.

Here's a shot of mine from today, 8 weeks or so post vaseline.

Lieutenant Commander

this isn't a rant, but just something to consider.

the primary difference between vasoline and wax is that vasoline is mainly a viscous liquid at room temperature, while wax is a solid. I will bet that over time, the vasoline liquid you soak the gel with, will help dirt soak in much like a liquid is used to swell fibers in order to transport dye into it, I have a strong feeling that over a long period of time, especially if you have a light colored boat, you may regret using it (think permanent waterline stain, etec...). it's really very much like using johnson's paste wax except the vasoline won't ever dry and make a barrier - against anything but water - oil based stains will dissolve and move with it.

oh, since it is a liquid, dirt will always stick to it, unlike waxes which are solids once the solvents evaporate.

just some food for thought

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by wca_tim View Post
    this isn't a rant, but just something to consider.

the primary difference between vasoline and wax is that vasoline is mainly a viscous liquid at room temperature, while wax is a solid. I will bet that over time, the vasoline liquid you soak the gel with, will help dirt soak in much like a liquid is used to swell fibers in order to transport dye into it, I have a strong feeling that over a long period of time, especially if you have a light colored boat, you may regret using it (think permanent waterline stain, etec...). it's really very much like using johnson's paste wax except the vasoline won't ever dry and make a barrier - against anything but water - oil based stains will dissolve and move with it.

oh, since it is a liquid, dirt will always stick to it, unlike waxes which are solids once the solvents evaporate.

just some food for thought
    Maybe try it before you make guesses. It does soak in, but it certainly does NOT help dirt soak into it. People say they think stuff will stick to it. It doesn't. Vaseline DOES dry, and it works.

Besides, the original poster asked for people's experiences who used it, not bets, guesses, and hypothesis's.

Please, read this post,
    http://forums.iboats.com/showpost.ph...1&postcount=23

Quote Originally Posted by FBPirate95 View Post
    The whole question about weather Vaseline will cause any damage is bogus in my opinion. And here's why:

Oxidation of paint occurs when the protective layer on the paint, weather is the clear coat or a wax, is depleated and oxygen is allowed to attack the free radicals in the chemical structure of the paint mixture. This gives you the dull and chalky look. Adding a wax coat every so often replentishes the protective coat on the paint keeping the oxygen out. The point here is that you have to keep a protective coat on the paint. If you don't periodically re-apply wax or vaseline, the protective coat wears away and oxidation will begin occuring.

As for the chemical differences in a store bought boat wax or vaseline there's not much. Most store bought waxes contain any or all of the following in varrying proportions:

carnuba wax (derived from leaves)
    bees wax (you can guess where that comes from)
    kaolin (clay/filler)
    isoparaffinic hydrocarbons (basically paraffin wax)

Carnuba wax itself is a very hard wax once it is fully extracted from the carnuba leaves. Therfore in order to make it into a "workable" wax, a paraffin wax or bees wax must be mixed into it.

So what is paraffin wax? Well it is a petroleum based long chain hydrocarbon with chain lengths anywhere from the C20H42 to the C40H82 range. (basically that's the number of Carbons in the molecule) Having said that, Vaseline or petroleum jelly, is a petroleum based long chain hydrocarbon with a chain length in the C25H54 range. What does that mean? Vaseline is a paraffinic wax.

So why the differing results from a carnuba type wax versus Vaseline. Like I said earlier it is because carnuba is a harder wax. As you buff it, the wax plasticizes giving it a glassy look. The softer paraffin wax like vaseline won't plasticize in the same way.

Now with all the technical crap out of the way, what's the point? The point is to keep oxidation off of you boat, periodically put some protectant on your hull. If this means you enjoy and have the time to spend hours buffing and polishing a store bought name brand wax on your boat to get a high gloss shine, do it. If you don't want to spend the time or effort buffing and polishing and you don't need to see that glossy shine, use the Vaseline. Just do something and don't let the oxidation start in the first place.

Lieutenant Commander

Tell you what, if it works for you, great, but there are a ton better products out there - especially once the gelcoat is already oxidized as in the situations we're dealing with.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by wca_tim View Post
    you're touting vaseline as a panacea for gelcoat restoration and care in a "public" venue. Don't expect that someone isn't going to call you out on it a little or at least share information that may suggest something different (in a friendly way of course).

Is going to be a huge problem? probably not for most, but you never know, perhaps if you want to paint later, it'll be awful hard to ever get the surface degreased properly to get a good paint job on it. Perhaps it'll let the dirt and so forth that comes in contact with the hull become imbedded in the pores of the resin and leade to premature fading, staining or discoloration. There is a tremendous body of scientific work in areas of coatings, surfaces, resins and the processes by which things are transported into and out of them. A tremendous amount of work has gone into the development, understanding and care of styrene polyester based plastics (gel coat). If vaseline really was such a wonderful product for the restoration and the long term care of faded gelcoat - don't you think Meguire's would bottle it and sell it under their own label? (It would sure cut down on production costs) I know for a fact that they don't.

Food for thought,

Respectfully submitted.

ps. If you want some references, send me a pm and I'll see what I can dig up.
    Do you have any clue how bodywork prep and painting works? I do, as I ran a bodyshop for the past 5 years.
    You all seem to think vaseline has petroleum in it because it's called petroleum jelly, well most distillates are removed in the manufacturing process, it's more wax than "grease."

ALL surfaces must be degreased and cleaned as part of prepping for paint, no matter what's been used on it. DO you really think vaseline will be hard to remove?!?!LOL.

Seriously, if you haven't used it, maybe stick to your own experiences, we already have someone here taking the job of posting up what he doesn't know about, ie Vaseline, recommending bleeding Bennett tabs, recommending clear bowls on fuel water separators on I/Os etc. etc. etc.

The original poster asked for people with experience USING Vaseline, not people making guesses

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast