View Poll Results: What do you think about tri-hulls?

Voters
152. You may not vote on this poll
  • Love 'em.

66 43.42%
  • Hate 'em.

36 23.68%
  • Could care less.

50 32.89%
Please note this thread has been inactive for 90 days. For the best results, please start a new thread.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Tri-Hull Boats

Default Tri-Hull Boats

What do you think about tri-hulls? Personally I think they are full of character and wish they were still produced. Not to mention the stability.

Default Re: Tri-Hull Boats

I'm not sure how to vote on this. I'll have to think about it and come back.
    I remember them being very popular back in the 70's. They have their good points and bad points. My McKee Craft is a trihull tapering to a shallow Vee. It's extremely stable, and I like it very much but it doesn't cut through the water as well as a regular Vee hull. It's perfect for what I use it for though.

Nothing is so broken that Government can't make it worse.

You don't have an answer that I would check. I don't love or hate them, and think they have their place. For smaller bodies of water they can be fine. I did some skiing behind one when I was younger and that boat was a fine boat. A bit rougher ride than a vee, but stable. Can usually be had cheaper than a comparable condition vee hull. That could get someone on the water that otherwise couldn't afford it.

Vice Admiral

Stable yes, but I wouldn't buy another one, too rough of a ride in snotty conditions.

I'm on my second 70s vintage Glassmaster trihull (usually called a tri-haul here in Louisiana ), and have mixed feelings about them.

First, they are butt ugly. Yeah, I know, I am supposed to look at the boat from a practical standpoint, and I do (which why I own one), but they are still frickin ugly!

Second, they pound in head-on seas. You pretty much have to run at about a 30 degree angle to the seas, to keep from getting wet.

But .... there are alot of things to like about them. They are very stable, which is one of the main reasons why I bought my second Glassmaster. I use the boat primarily for photography and stability is a major issue for me - I have to be able to move around in it with a camera up to my face, without feeling like I am going to fall over all of the time. They are also more forgiving in those head-on seas, if you back off the power and run in a bow high attitude. Operated that way, the boats can be reasonably dry and can handle some pretty crappy conditions.

Used trihulls are also inexpensive to buy because few people want them. My current hull was stripped and was laying on wood blocks at a local boat yard when I found it. The seller wanted $2,000 for it, but I waved five hundred dollar bills in his face and he took it. I had to rewire the boat, install a steering system and fuel system before it was usable. It did have a nice pair of aluminum saddle tanks (which could easily cost $500 by themselves if purchased new), so I felt pretty good about the deal. In the 2-1/2 years that I have owned it, I have spent many hours shooting photos and fishing in it, as well as performing search and rescue operations for the LA DWF & the US Coast Guard.

All things considered, I'm happy with the boat.

Honorary Moderator Emeritus tashasdaddy's Avatar

in a chop the will jar your teeth loose.
    FLORIDA GATORS
    TEBOW Country

Please, NO PM's (Private Messages) regarding boat/engine problems. they will not be answered.
    That is what these forums are for. Post your questions, in the appropriate Forum.

MFG
    Multiple Fillings Gone

the tri hull is an exellent small lake boat, to be used in areas not prone to large wakes or chop.......

anything else....and its a trip to the chiropractor after you get back from the dentist

Quote Originally Posted by oops! View Post
    the tri hull is an exellent small lake boat, to be used in areas not prone to large wakes or chop.......

anything else....and its a trip to the chiropractor after you get back from the dentist
    +1
    My last boat was a 15ft Sea Star tri-hull. On the smaller lakes around West Bend WI it was a great boat for tooling around and fishing.
    On the other hand, once we started going to Lake Winnebago.
    Oh the pain, the pain. Time for a bigger boat.
    1992 Cruisers 2870 Rogue "Better Days"
    Twin Volvo-Penta 5.7l/Duo-Props

My Google Map
    BoatingWinnebago.com

Chief Petty Officer

Smile Re: Tri-Hull Boats

If you ride in the bow of a tri-hull,
    you'll look like your skull pic at the end of the ride.

Petty Officer 1st Class Randybeall's Avatar

This is not fair, I currently own a Fabuglas Trident 146. It is a great little boat, capable of beating you and your passengers to death in a good chop on Lake Texaoma. As mentioned, the price was very good, has a good Evinrude 70 horse, and is as stable a fishing platform as you could ask for. I will replace it when to oppertunity and money come together at the same time, but till then I can go fish when I want and cruise with the wind in my hair if I wish. Check out that fine blue boat in the pic. Takes me back 30 years, now if I could just loose 30 years of age it would be even better.

Quote Originally Posted by mickjetblue View Post
    If you ride in the bow of a tri-hull,
    you'll look like your skull pic at the end of the ride.
    Now thats a good one!

Petty Officer 1st Class cdnfthree2's Avatar

If you've seen one youve seen em all. Don't care for em.

Petty Officer 2nd Class turborich's Avatar

I have always thought that they were unique & very neat. I have a tri-hull, haven't had it in the water yet so I can't speak about the ride quality. Your description is very good, I agree that they are full of character.
    1978 17' Arrow Glass Cheetah
    Mercruiser 165 hp inline 6
    Mercruiser 888 drive

Quote Originally Posted by turborich View Post
    I have always thought that they were unique & very neat. I have a tri-hull, haven't had it in the water yet so I can't speak about the ride quality. Your description is very good, I agree that they are full of character.
    Yea, and being my first boat, I would probably love it no matter what it is.
    ~Jason

chips....i grew up on a glasstron t 156 with a john 70 on the back.....we all loved it....perfect family fish and ski....learned to ski behind that boat and killed many o fish....

the rough ride in chop can be monitored and lessened by a good captain.

even in my deep v. i try not to beat the stuffings out of the passengers...if that means throtteling back and taking a route more wave friendly....then so be it...the whole thing is "pleasure boating" its no fun if you need a chiropractic adjustment after you get off the boat.

a bad day on the water is still better than.........

Petty Officer 1st Class cdnfthree2's Avatar

If it is your first boat then love it like there will never be another. I would do the same. Nothing can beat your first boat.

Quote Originally Posted by cdnfthree2 View Post
    If it is your first boat then love it like there will never be another. I would do the same. Nothing can beat your first boat.
    Amen. You never forget your first love.
    My Sea Star was my second boat, but I never felt anything special with my first. Barca Rossa was special. I did a full retore on her and made her all mine. I still miss her sometimes.

I still get a kick out of seeing her out on the water with her new owners.
    1992 Cruisers 2870 Rogue "Better Days"
    Twin Volvo-Penta 5.7l/Duo-Props

My Google Map
    BoatingWinnebago.com

I voted love it! like others have said very stable as a fishing platform.
    in a ruff chop just keep the bow a little higher she will do fine,any small boat will BUST YOUR CHOPS in ruff water.
    here is a picture of mine

she is a '74 MFG 120hp merc cruiser I/O

woosterken

Not the best shot of the bow trihull, but....
    I've been having a blast in this thing all summer.
    It's an excellent crabbing skiff.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Nothing is so broken that Government can't make it worse.

we still build them new here in oz and the price is not to bad second hand have a look this is a 16ft model

http://www.boatsales.com.au/boats-fo...aspx?R=2903103

Paul

BUGGER TIN I HAVE PLASTIC

Captain

I've owned four trihulls, none particularly by choice but they have all had their uses. I sold them simply since I don't live in an area or boat in an area where they were practical. They are fine on smooth water but once in rough or choppy water, they beat you to death at any sort of speed.
    They are super stable and the normally square bow arrangement makes for lots of storage and/or fishing space. They carry more weight per given length than most V hulls too. But when it comes to rough water, forget them. If I lived where there were larger lakes or longer rivers where I could run I'd have nothing but, but since I run half of the time in the bay and ocean, they're not really a choice for me.
    As far as the vote, there's not a correct choice, I can't say I love or hate them, they're just not the right style hull for my type of uses.
    If a low powered inshore fishing or crabbing boat was my only use, then a trihull would be fine.

Wink Re: Tri-Hull Boats

I do not like them three hulls.They limit me to small ponds.While I like to go out on Lake Ontario and Cape Cod bay or Stellwagen Bank,weather permitting.
    Now have you ever seen a tri hull on the brine?????
    Make sure the plug is in

Captain

Quote Originally Posted by rolmops View Post
    I do not like them three hulls.They limit me to small ponds.While I like to go out on Lake Ontario and Cape Cod bay or Stellwagen Bank,weather permitting.
    Now have you ever seen a tri hull on the brine?????
    I used to run my old Starcraft Capri and an old Evinrude trihull in the ocean and bay but only on calm days. Both being bow rider style boats I was more concerned with taking water over the bow than I was with the ride. There was no way to lessen the harshness of the ride when it got rough though.
    I doubt if I'd do it now, but those boats are long gone. I do have a few buddies that don't hesitate to run in big water with fairly small trihulls though. It's all a matter of how much abuse you can take.
    These days, I'd pretty much limit a trihull to crabbing duty in the back bays, the added space would come in handy as would the stability.

I pretty much agree with all that's been said here, it's a love /hate relationship with trihulls. I had 3 of them, all bowriders, and all Wellcraft Airslots, one 16' outboard, & two 18' I/O's, I like to stick with a good thing. The Airslot was one of the better designs, with actually two sponsons ending 1/2 way back, becoming a deep vee all the way back, with a step in the hull on each side. All 3 were fairly heavy, strong, (built like a tank) fast, smooth, & dry riding, in a mild chop, But, in the rough hitting waves at an angle, or rollers from either side, would cause the sponsons to dip, and throw it off balance a bit, plus it would pound, (a soft pound because of the Vee hull design) but, abit of a rough ride, but seaworthy still. At rest it was extremely stable, like your own little island in the middle of the bay. As unique as the hull design was, it was still abit slower then your standard semi vee, or vee bottom boat. I finally decided to go with a deep vee hull, and in the late 70's, it was getting tough to sell this odd looking "Rocket sled" design. There is a place for these, especially in a small size, producing the best stability for fishing, crabbing, and watersports, as long as you know it's limitatons on ride & handling quality.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    89'-19' Bayliner Capri Ski boat, with a 125hp Force
    My Previous Boats http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v2...ee/My%20Boats/
    My motto - Keep It Simple Stupid
    Or It Can Get Real Expensive Later!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast