Please note this thread has been inactive for 90 days. For the best results, please start a new thread.
    Cadet

Default steering cable replacement

I inherited an old (1975) boat and motor (75 HP Evinrude). Over the last 2 years the steering has become so stiff that it is now not safe. The unit is a Teleflex SH5023 single helm. I removed the helm and cable (major effort) and disassembled the helm (despite the notice on the helm not to do so). I thought that I would then be able to pull the cable out of the sleeve, clean and lubricate, and reassemble. However, the cable will not pull through the sleeve (at least not with about 100 lb pull).My question is:-should it come out of the sleeve?-is it possible to buy just a replacement sleeve/cable?-where?This boat does not justify a big expense.I would really appreciate any comments/help.

Seaman

Default Re: steering cable replacement

Glen put this in "boat restoration and building" and someone can help you out

Petty Officer 1st Class

Glen,I fought this problem a few years ago, except my problem was the steering rod end being siezed in the engine mount tilt-tube. Teleflex cable is not designed to be de-sleeved and R&R'd; its a unit replace item. If you are willing to do that, it'll cost you probably $120 or so (USD) for a new cable assembly, assuming its about 14' length. Important thing is to replace with the same length cable...and did you get the end out of the motor tilt tube? Look on the cable sleeve for some numbers and let me know what they are. Also, you may not have done well by disassembling the helm unit as they rarely go bad. Little more detail and maybe I can help or someone else can..but don't keep forcing things.

Captain

Had minor issue with my teleflex system and contacted Teleflex. Their response was to replace the whole system. Surely you must be able to service these to some extent My helm unit squeeks every once in awhile and has a slight play in the steering wheel shaft. I'm not about to spend $200 on a new system if a few drops of oil will fix the problem. Who are they kidding ? If you "need" to replace your system, check out e-bay for good deals. There is always something different week by week.

Cadet

Thanks for the replies.I had no trouble getting the rod out of the tilt tube (except for having to unbolt the motor and move it sideways on the transom). The reason I opened the helm was that I could not get the cable out otherwise (Is there some trick?).On closer examination I found the markings on the cable - it is SSC7216. I guess with this info, I can get a replacement cable - just have to figure out how to feed it through the helm.Again - thanks