Please note this thread has been inactive for 90 days. For the best results, please start a new thread.
    Seaman Apprentice

Default Removing snap rings~lower unit~tool ?

Ordered a good set of snap ring pliers
    http://www.tooltopia.com/gearwrench-82110.aspx
    to remove the retaining rings (snap) in the foot of a lower unit.
    They are sturdy and plenty long enough to get a grip on the rings.

Problem is,they slip off the ring under pressure.
    I'm a fairly strong person so the grip is not an issue.
    No matter how many times I've tried to compress the rings enough to slide them out,the pliers slip.

Is there a better tool ?
    I have several of these I'm working on and need the right tool.
    what is used out there ?? please tell.

Thanks,
    WD

Captain

Default Re: Removing snap rings~lower unit~tool ?

I used a Craftsman set when I did mine. They were just straight tips, not 90-degrees. The heavier duty you get the better.
    1976 Mark Twain 200VBR w/Mercruiser 233 (Ford 351w) "Heart & Soul"

i don't know which snap ring your talking about. but it must be a big one.
    i had a big snap ring that prevented gimble brg. removal on my mc-1 drive. them big snap ring pliers were pretty pricey i thought.

so

i went to harbor freight and they had some cheap big needle nose pliers (chineez brand)....

did me a little mod to the tip of them.

viola, big snap ring pliers. they worked very well on that big snap ring in ft. of the gimble brg anyways...
    'Lime Time'
    1975 AristoCraft Nineteen
    Mercruiser 165hp (chevy 250 L6), MC-1 drive

Vice Admiral

I've had to do like Ziggy on some of my snap ring pliers, put a small notch in the tip with a dremel so the ring doesn't slip off. Just don't go too crazy and make the tool weak.
    2001 Crestliner SuperHawk 1800, Mercruiser 140HP
    2007 Tracker 1436 jon boat, 7.5HP Force

Seaman Apprentice

great tips guys~no pun ...thank you.
    yes,the two rings are very stout...they are the two that sit in front of the carrier bearing housing and behind the rev. gear...took some out of a Johnson 150 by tearing them out,,not a pretty site...now taking them out of a 70hp.

beefing up to a bigger plier and making notches makes sense.

i'm wondering what the shop guys use...!?
    i'll try the big pliers with dremel.

thanks

Petty Officer 1st Class

Sounds like someone didn't look at the way the snap ring was made. If you look real close at them you can see that one side has a smooth edge while the other side has a sharp edge(this done when they are stamped out at the factory). When you do get it out make sure you put the sharpe edge up and you should not have any problems getting them out after that. Yes I also put a small grove on my snap ring plyers for this very reason. I have been a heavy truck, offroad mechanic ret. for mant years and did this to all my new plyers.

locking snap ring pliers are available from most tool suppliers. They have a ratchet mechanism that holds the ring compressed for removal.

Master Chief Petty Officer

I wish I had not read this thread. I was so proud of my invention (modifying the tips of a pair of long needle nose pliers) to get the snap rings out. Now I see everybody invented the same tool.

Quote Originally Posted by GatorMike View Post
    I wish I had not read this thread. I was so proud of my invention (modifying the tips of a pair of long needle nose pliers) to get the snap rings out. Now I see everybody invented the same tool.
    We do this at my job all the time. The modified pliers work better than the store bought snap ring pliers.

It takes a little skill to make a good pair, and if you remove too much material the tip will break. But when you make a "good" tool it is worth the effort.

P.S. We make them because the snap rings they are for are at the bottom of a hole that the regular S.R. pliers won't reach.
    Most people are going to do whatever they want. What I find entertaining is how people justify what they do!!

Also you can try making a very tiny notch at the end of the pliers and then hitting the end if the pliers with a hammer to bend the tips in. This method gives a functional S.R. plier without removing as much material weakining the tool. (Yes I've made several pairs of these in my day).

A word of warning is that we have 5 pairs of pliers waiting to be modified when the current snappers break. We will likely only get three functioning pairs out of these as we often make a pair and it breaks right away. This is why I have been trying the hammer method lately. I have not made enough pairs this way yet to tell you is is a better way to make them.
    Most people are going to do whatever they want. What I find entertaining is how people justify what they do!!

Seaman Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by boateric View Post
    Sounds like someone didn't look at the way the snap ring was made. If you look real close at them you can see that one side has a smooth edge while the other side has a sharp edge(this done when they are stamped out at the factory). When you do get it out make sure you put the sharpe edge up and you should not have any problems getting them out after that. Yes I also put a small grove on my snap ring plyers for this very reason. I have been a heavy truck, offroad mechanic ret. for mant years and did this to all my new plyers.

nope,,just removing to inspect gears and lower parts...these that i am working on have never been removed....but your tip on the edges i did not know,,,thanks.

going to try notching some tips that came with the pliers.
    if the strength is not there,plan b is going with different pliers and notching...

i got to thinking could i take nails the size that would fit in the inserts on my new pliers and notch the nails,,,but i guess it depends on the strength and nail type for that small of a nail....i'm thinking it will be too weak.
    ?

Seaman Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by oviedochapparal View Post
    locking snap ring pliers are available from most tool suppliers. They have a ratchet mechanism that holds the ring compressed for removal.
    i looked at these but have not seen them over 10 inches long....
    i need 13+ to reach some rings in these units.