Please note this thread has been inactive for 90 days. For the best results, please start a new thread.

Default pic: boat put away for winter =(

Makes me sad. But at least it's a nice place to rest for the next few months. Looks kind of like a showroom.

Contemplating putting the trailer up on jack stands to take pressure off the tires... thoughts?

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Default Re: pic: boat put away for winter =(

That does not look like it is put away for winter. More like on a show room floor of a dealer. What an awesome storage space for your boat. I bet you didn't even winterize it other than maybe pulled the drain plugs.

I'm jealous! Wish I had a nice indoor spot for mine. She's gunna winter outside under a tarp this year.

Ensign

Jacking up to get the tires off the ground isn't a bad idea- but I've never done it. Boat sits on trailer outside in the cold MN winter season. Done this for the past 5 years, no problems with the tires that I can tell. But I'm not a heavy duty trailer user- boat sits in the water all season, only on the trailer winters, and I only put about 30 miles/year on the trailer.

Quote Originally Posted by themaniam1 View Post
    That does not look like it is put away for winter. More like on a show room floor of a dealer. What an awesome storage space for your boat. I bet you didn't even winterize it other than maybe pulled the drain plugs.
    yeah i'm lucky, it's at my dad's place, he has a huge three-part garage, this room was set up for auto work. it does get cold in northern ohio, so i drained the cooling system, greased things up, cleaned, etc... but this room doesn't go much below 25 degrees in the winter.

Lieutenant Commander paultjohnson's Avatar

Heck If you need a boatn' -fix- You can go sit it your boat in the middle of the winter and have a cold one . Put a little cocnut flavored suntan oil on a cotton ball so u can smell it Close your eyes and ....drift........
    86 THUNDERCRAFT LEGACY 18 FT MERCRUISER 4.3 2 BBL 185 HP ALPHA 1 GET IN, SIT DOWN, SHUT UP, HOLD ON !!! TOW RIG 01 CHEVY SILVERADO STD CAB LONG BOX 4X4 5.3 Z71

GO NAVY!!! USS MERRILL DD 976- SPRUANCE CLASS DESTROYER- ONBOARD 81-85 INTERIOR COMMUNICATION ELECTRICIAN PO 3RD CLASS- TEST SHIP FOR THE TOMAHAWK CRUISE MISSILE. NAS KEFLAVIK ICELAND 86-87

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Nice boat and nice garage.

I need to get the water out of mine this weekend I think. Pretty sure I'm done tho it was in the 70's-80's Sat and Sunday.
    Weird how 60's feel so warm and nice in spring and in fall 60's feel cool and chilly. To me anyway.
    1977 Starcraft American 18' 165 Mercruiser.
    http://s226.photobucket.com/home/win...obra/allalbums

Fleet Admiral

show movies of boating on those big white walls....

Dude you seriously need more stuff
    A man of constant boat tinkering.

Captain

I can't fathom missing out on the lake Erie perch and walleye BONANZA!
    I'm in northeast ohio and won't tuck in till mid November, I love the tranquility of boating in the fall.
    Your very fortunate to have such a nice storage facility, I'll have the typical struggle with snow and ice, keeping pressure off my wheels has never been high on my list, keeping them from sinking into the dirt yes, a patio block or piece of plywood works.
    '90 Chaparral 2000SL
    5.8 Cobra
    '67 MFG Westfield Regal
    80hp V-4
    (No private messages)

Getting the weight off of the wheels is a good idea. Make sure you support it under the axle and not under the frame of the trailer.

Nice garage...I want one like that...
    2001 Carver Voyager 374 'Stick's Competition'

Something tells me I should be on the water....

If I answer your upholstery questions, it's only because I've been doing it 20+ years...

Yessss,
    I know the saddest day of the year for me is just around the corner. I know I'll have to do it over the next few weeks and yet my Wife is making (forcing) me go to New Jersey next weekend.

I might get one or two more weekends in, before I have to Mothball my rig until early May
    That's 7 months of winter.

I'll leave room now below for the Fl boaters to come back with their comments like "we never have to put ours away"

Quote Originally Posted by Expidia View Post
    and yet my Wife is making (forcing) me go to New Jersey next week
    Putting away your boat AND going to Jersey?!? Wow...you must have done something really annoying to her...

82 degrees here (sunny FL) and we'll be at the island this Saturday. And then a 4 day trip on the boat the following weekend.

I'm sorry...was that condescending?

If I answer your upholstery questions, it's only because I've been doing it 20+ years...

For all of us in the north to all of you in the south we do envy you but don't blow your horn to loud. I hate the day I put my boat away for the year but I also keep thinking of whats to come in the spring. It's been a month now and I'm still cussing the Army Corp of engineers for draining my lake early to control the tributaries (horse hockey) well @ least that's thier excuse.
    1996 Searay 175 Five Series
    3.0LX ser #F553706
    Alpha1Gen2 ser #OF530668
    1998 Chevy1/2 tonW/T
    "faster dad faster" my baby girl in the tube

40 years ago, after hearing thump thump thump in the spring, and after reading that trailer tires should be supported when not in use, I made a set of axle supports and used them for years. 20 years ago I bought a tandem trailer and got lazy at the same time and stopped jacking for winter. Haven't heard a thump since. They say tires are made better now and its no longer necessary. I've got 8", 12" and 13" boat trailer tires and I don't support any of them and don't see any issues.

I'm tossing around the idea of jacking mine up this year too. I haven't done it for the past 2 winters on the new tires & it hasn't shown any problems in the tires, but I get the theory behind doing it.

Chief Petty Officer

[QUOTE=Fireman431;2975832]Getting the weight off of the wheels is a good idea. Make sure you support it under the axle and not under the frame of the trailer.

That's the opposite of what I would think- why keep the weight on the axle/springs all winter?? Get the weight off the tires and suspension.

[QUOTE=dlngr;2976043]
    Quote Originally Posted by Fireman431 View Post
    Getting the weight off of the wheels is a good idea. Make sure you support it under the axle and not under the frame of the trailer.

That's the opposite of what I would think- why keep the weight on the axle/springs all winter?? Get the weight off the tires and suspension.
    The trailer is designed to be supported by the axle(s) and 10% or less on the tongue. If you think it's important to take the weight off the springs, you need to support the trailer frame at the points where it attaches to the springs.

People who use their trailer boats (or other trailers) year round do not seem to have tire or spring problems. Even if you were to get "flat spots" on the trailer tires (and I doubt you will), they will go away with a few miles of towing.

I wouldn't bother. And I didn't for the years I had trailered boats.
    Ron

2000 Camano Troll
    North Charleston, SC

i like the way ya got the chair facing the boat ready to use w/ table and trash can next to you for your empty's while your sitting looking at your beautiful boat waiting for next spring..

and to think, mine sits in a white rock driveway with a cover over it... ya got it good man.. it looks great..

fwiw, i don't lift mine off the tires. i'm sure they freeze to the white rock all winter long. (my serious abuse) i will pull the wheels and clean and physically re-grease the wheel brgs though. not my favorite job, but i will likely do it in the end. i have in the past anyways.. so far, i've not had any ramifications for doing it this way..
    'Lime Time'
    1975 AristoCraft Nineteen
    Mercruiser 165hp (chevy 250 L6), MC-1 drive

Springs are designed and made to be under tension without relief. Think of the springs on a car. Rarely, if ever, relieved of tension.
    The boat trailer is usually I-beam steel or aluminum and is certainly strong enough to support the boat, but that's not what it's designed for. Heck, wood is strong enough to support a boat.

Axles are designed to carry load. Support the trailer (if you decide to lift it) under the axles. Or leave it on the ground. If you get flat spots, they will go away after a few miles of road use. I worry more about the cold weather helping with delamination, but it's probably not an issue in the garage.

And the other poster is right. Tires are much better now then they ever used to be. it was more a problem with bias-ply vs. radials.

Lieutenant Commander paultjohnson's Avatar

If you are worried about gettn' a flat spot.. Move the trailer a half foot. or two a few times during the off season
    86 THUNDERCRAFT LEGACY 18 FT MERCRUISER 4.3 2 BBL 185 HP ALPHA 1 GET IN, SIT DOWN, SHUT UP, HOLD ON !!! TOW RIG 01 CHEVY SILVERADO STD CAB LONG BOX 4X4 5.3 Z71

GO NAVY!!! USS MERRILL DD 976- SPRUANCE CLASS DESTROYER- ONBOARD 81-85 INTERIOR COMMUNICATION ELECTRICIAN PO 3RD CLASS- TEST SHIP FOR THE TOMAHAWK CRUISE MISSILE. NAS KEFLAVIK ICELAND 86-87

Quote Originally Posted by ziggy View Post
    i like the way ya got the chair facing the boat ready to use w/ table and trash can next to you for your empty's while your sitting looking at your beautiful boat waiting for next spring..
    ah, you figured it out! accurate observation.

i think i'll just let her sit on the tires, but roll the rig a few inches every now and again.

it's a great garage -- my dad was talking about renting space to boaters next season. i wonder if he'll charge me? =)

Seaman

Quote Originally Posted by fat fanny View Post
    For all of us in the north to all of you in the south we do envy you but don't blow your horn to loud. I hate the day I put my boat away for the year but I also keep thinking of whats to come in the spring. It's been a month now and I'm still cussing the Army Corp of engineers for draining my lake early to control the tributaries (horse hockey) well @ least that's thier excuse.
    Exactly, the Corp starts draining my lake to early too. Shenango Reservoir seems to start dropping in mid-July! I was out in mid - August and it was down about 3 ft from July 4th!
    Mark
    1989 Wellcraft 170 Classic
    3.0 Mercruiser Alpha One

You don't get something for nothing.
    You can't have freedom for free.
    You won't get wise with the sleep still in your eyes,
    No matter what your dreams might be.

Commander

Springs are designed and made to be under tension without relief. Think of the springs on a car. Rarely, if ever, relieved of tension.
    The boat trailer is usually I-beam steel or aluminum and is certainly strong enough to support the boat, but that's not what it's designed for.

Axles are designed to carry load. Support the trailer (if you decide to lift it) under the axles. Or leave it on the ground. If you get flat spots, they will go away after a few miles of road use. I worry more about the cold weather helping with delamination, but it's probably not an issue in the garage.
    I really don't see were it makes any difference as many of the trailers I see around here spend 1/2 the year with nothin on'm other than bird poop. Besides the fact new springs sit for moths on end in warehouses w/o being attached to anything either w/o any ill effects.
    1984 Lund S14 DLX, 35hp Evinrude on a Spartan Roller Tilt trailer.
    1988 Alumacraft Classic 16 under reconstruction.