Please note this thread has been inactive for 90 days. For the best results, please start a new thread.

Thread: Older Robalo

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Default Older Robalo

I am looking at a 1977 20 foot CC with a 1978 140 Johnson and a traler. The hull looks great and the motor is tired the guy is asking 4500.00 for it is that a good price? Are the older ones good? he says it was made by AMF. any comments would be great.Thanks Bill

Admiral

Default Re: Older Robalo

Bill - The Robalo has a good reputation here in south Florida. In my opinion a 20' CC with a 140 is a great combination. For pricing, I recommend that you spend some time at the marine/boat version of Trader on Line web site. Also buy a copy of Boat Trader available at many convenience stores.I don't know a thing about the market there or the condition of the rig so giving you any feedback on the $4,500.00 price is pretty much meaningless. Having said that - - you are looking at a 26 year old motor on a 28 year old boat. Now I am not a believer that newer is better but I would think that $3,000 - $3,500.00 would be a fair price but then only if in real good condition.

That's a $1500./$2500.00 boat in My neighborhood...........
    Any Grease is Better,..... Than No Grease at All.......

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Bill,Check out the deck before you buy.Old boats are built like tanks, however, they also have lots of wood underneath it all. Look for screw holes that were never filled...water rotts wood at those locations. Last 1972 Mako i looked at had an original fuel tank. In order to remove it the deck and most of the boat would have to be cut apart. Go to a website called Classicmako.com. This site is filled with project boats...it will either give you some insight OR scare you away from old.You have to respect these guys in restoring and old classic. Do you want to fish or sand your boat in your garage for 5yrs? Just my 3 cents worth.Michael1st Boat=1986 Grady White Sailfish (Original Johnson outboards)2nd Boat=1999 Pursuit 2470 Center Console w/Twin YamahasNow I fish more than fiddle!

Petty Officer 1st Class

In 45 days, boat prices are going to be down. And $4,500.00 will buy a lot more than a tired old boat and motor.