Please note this thread has been inactive for 90 days. For the best results, please start a new thread.

Thread: Jon Boat Ideas

Default Jon Boat Ideas

I'm always looking for good jon boat ideas..Here's my Polar Kraft jon with 4 HP .It's only 10 foot.I vbought it used for 100.00 20 years ago..I cut out 4 doors along the seats for storage...I've had 700 pounds in this boat before ,,it's very sturdy.

Merry Christmas

Default Re: Jon Boat Ideas

Nice looking rig, but 700 pounds is a WHOLE LOT of weight for a 10 footer!
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck7 View Post
    I'm always looking for good jon boat ideas.
    - Bilge pump
    - Fish finder
    - Nav. lights (for nights)
    - Auxillary battery (if you don't already have one)
    - Stick steering
    "Winter Dream"
    Silverton 34C
    White/Green

Wellcraft 23 Nova XL

Lowe 1448 BigJon
    w/Evinrude 25HP

That 's not my normal load LOL. It is a very sturdy boat..It's an alumiweld type with no rivots.
    Merry Christmas

Supreme Mariner

[QUOTE=arks;2443613]Nice looking rig, but 700 pounds is a WHOLE LOT of weight for a 10 footer!

You removed the flotation from the seats? The name on the side is appropriate, you might get to see Him. At least wear those life jackets!!!!

Actually I have seen him..in October of 1976...during a war game against the 82nd airborne..I had a vision after reading my New Testament.I was then sent to be part of the Honor Guard in Washington D.C. during the reign of President Carter.

I did remove the foam because 1/2 of it was eatten away by rats. I have my fish baskets, , life jackets and anchors in there.
    Merry Christmas

Honorary Moderator Emeritus tashasdaddy's Avatar

foam does not make it float better, it is actual weight. it is there to keep it from completely sink, if damaged.
    FLORIDA GATORS
    TEBOW Country

Please, NO PM's (Private Messages) regarding boat/engine problems. they will not be answered.
    That is what these forums are for. Post your questions, in the appropriate Forum.

Petty Officer 1st Class cvtech1's Avatar

Chuck7, That is a nice Jon. 20yrs that's good, I have a 14ft Monarch that I have had about 3 200lbs people plus ice chest and gear and it handled fine. I need to add storage and steering to get rid of the tiller, but all in due time. Love the boat.

Lieutenant Commander DECK SWABBER 58's Avatar

[QUOTE=F_R;2443633]
    Quote Originally Posted by arks View Post
    Nice looking rig, but 700 pounds is a WHOLE LOT of weight for a 10 footer!

You removed the flotation from the seats? The name on the side is appropriate, you might get to see Him. At least wear those life jackets!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by tashasdaddy View Post
    foam does not make it float better, it is actual weight. it is there to keep it from completely sink, if damaged.
    My 16' Voyager Jon inadvertently crashed into a dock, the stern went under and the boat totally filled with water but did not sink thanks to the foam. We baled like crazy and got it back on the trailer and pulled the plug. Nothing in the boat was lost. Not even the fish we caught!

I will NEVER remove foam from a boat.
    I don't know where I'm going but I'm on my way, and I get there just fine without a GPS.

Cadet

Lightbulb Re: Jon Boat Ideas

Do you hunt ducks or bucks? You might try refinishing the boat in a camoflague motif. There's a fun idea that anyone can do. A camoflague pattern in flat makes up-keep easier too.

I hunt bucks and hogs..but not from a boat..I'll be sitting in a tree in the Green Swamp at 5:30 this morning..
    Apprciate the replies,
    C7
    Merry Christmas

Petty Officer 1st Class Dave Barnett's Avatar

Thumbs up Re: Jon Boat Ideas

Nice looking rig. Love the SEEK GOD painted on the side! Dave

Apprecaite the kind words Dave..
    I havn't been here a while..been busy fishin [ -;
    Merry Christmas

Master Chief Petty Officer

Polk county license plates, Green Swamp Reference. My guess is the water you boat in is mostly old phosphate mines? Some of those are rumored to hold monster bass.

You guessed it [ -;
    I fish old phosphate pits mostly. Most have islands to get out of the wind..various depths . I also fish the kind with no boat ramps..just back the 4 x 4 down the bank..push off and enjoy.

In the fall, I hunt the Green Swamp or Three Lakes WMA ..
    I don't hunt ducks..only deer and hogs..rifle , black powder and archery

Enjoying God's Wonderful Creation,
    Chuck7
    Merry Christmas

Senior Chief Petty Officer RandyJ's Avatar

I am confused as to what a Jon Boat is. I've got a small v-hull that has been called a Jon Boat and my son says his flat bottom is a flat bottom boat... I guess a Jon boat is just a small boat. I've got a 9.8 Merc on my v-hull and want to keep it light as possible. Tho', i've added lights and a trolling motor. Like you, I paid $150 for this old junker WITH TRAILER. I covered the wooden seats with carpet padding then stapled on some Naugahyde upholstery material. Rather than screwing the seats down I put screwed on pieces of wood underneath just to keep them from sliding around so I can use the seat supports for storage areas. This old boat never had any styrofoam for added flotation... I put my battery in one of the compartments and am actually considering adding floatation. Also, I'm considering some plywood and carpet so I can have a dry place to put my feet. For the wiring I'm using inexpensive old extension cords (the orange type) and added switches. I've also added a bilge pump.

Just so you know, the next response after this one will likely be someone chastising you for responding to an old thread. While you're waiting for that read this article. Very enjoyable and the closest thing you'll get to an accurate answer of your question. http://198.209.8.180/lochist/periodi...37/N3/w98d.htm
    Better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.
    21' Suntracker(for my girls), 16' Polarkraft MV w/ 25 HP Merc(for me), 14' Odyssey bucket raft, Square stern Ouachita canoe (finally confessed to the admiral) Cute little 2.5 Merc, 16' Purple Mad River Explorer; vice-admiral's boat, but she lets me use it as long as I don't forget it's hers. Blue Hole Sunburst; a piece of history (or a piece of something else if you ask the admiral)

Fleet Admiral

chastise chastise chastise
    Now that we have that out of the way: Although there may be regional differences, in my view a jon boat is a flat-bottom square bow boat under 18'. If it's over 18' it's a big jon boat. I'm trying to decide if it has to be aluminum; I don't know that I'd call the small Carolina Skiff J series and its imitators a "jon boat." And I'm pretty sure it has to have, or was born with, dark green paint. Anyway, if you say "jon boat" that is what boaters will picture.

Nowadays you see people, such as on Craigslist, calling any small open boat a "jon boat." But it doesn't make it right, any more than referring to the "haul" of the boat or the "wench" on the trailer. Or "trailor."

PS if you don't have floatation, someone took it out. Put it back. Even a block of styrofoam with duct tape wrapped around the seat.
    A man of constant boat tinkering.

Cool Re: Jon Boat Ideas

Quote Originally Posted by lncoop View Post
    Just so you know, the next response after this one will likely be someone chastising you for responding to an old thread. While you're waiting for that read this article. Very enjoyable and the closest thing you'll get to an accurate answer of your question. http://198.209.8.180/lochist/periodi...37/N3/w98d.htm
    Daayyyuuuummm ... at's a lot of read'n!!!! Too... whatcha 'spect? I'm sitting here reading all these threads just looking for something to trip my response mechanism... besides, the dude asked the question but failed to say what day is the last day for posting replies... hehehe

Quote Originally Posted by RandyJ View Post
    Daayyyuuuummm ... at's a lot of read'n!!!! Too... whatcha 'spect? I'm sitting here reading all these threads just looking for something to trip my response mechanism... besides, the dude asked the question but failed to say what day is the last day for posting replies... hehehe
    Can't fight you on any of that, but would like to point out the following.

1. If you want to alleviate some of your confusion regarding what a johnboat is reading that article is the best way to do so. I thought it was pretty cool, but you're right, it is a lot of reading. I definitely wouldn't waste any fishing time on it. If you want I can summarize. You don't have a johnboat, but your son does.
    2. There is a rule about responding to old threads. I didn't make it, nor do I care whether it's enforced. That's the mods' job.
    3. Most importantly; TIGHT LINES.
    21' Suntracker(for my girls), 16' Polarkraft MV w/ 25 HP Merc(for me), 14' Odyssey bucket raft, Square stern Ouachita canoe (finally confessed to the admiral) Cute little 2.5 Merc, 16' Purple Mad River Explorer; vice-admiral's boat, but she lets me use it as long as I don't forget it's hers. Blue Hole Sunburst; a piece of history (or a piece of something else if you ask the admiral)

Oh yeah, one more thing.

4. GO HOGS BEAT BAMA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by lncoop View Post
    Oh yeah, one more thing.

4. GO HOGS BEAT BAMA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Hey Bubba.. I'm an Auburn Grad so I'm thrilled every time Alabama gets a good whuppin'... and Nick Saban is far too over paid... We don't even want to go there when whole departments don't get as much as he gets paid.... and my gross income is far less than what he pays in taxes.

My only problem with Saban is he smiles too much.

Oh, and GO HOGS BEAT AUBURN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!