Please note this thread has been inactive for 90 days. For the best results, please start a new thread.
    Petty Officer 2nd Class

Default Installing Perko Fender Locks

I've searched about drilling into fiberglass and understand what has to be done. They recommend #8 screw ss. Just wondering how long they should be. Thanks

Master Chief Petty Officer

Default Re: Installing Perko Fender Locks

You could use 1/2" Stainless screws. Fiberglass does not spread much so the drill hole needs to be bigger than you would use on wood. (sorry, I don't remember what size I used) Maybe get one extra screw and use it to 'tap' the holes before you install the screws. Use a bit of sealant in the holes when you install the locks. If you want you could go to a 3/4" length, you won't need longer than that.
    Use a larger drill bit to countersink through the gel coat to stop it from cracking when you put the screws in.

Petty Officer 2nd Class

rallyart, thanks for the advice. Really appreciate it....

Petty Officer 1st Class

It helps to set your bit on the fiberglass and run fast in reverse to make a little dimple in it- makes a huge difference in how much the fiberglass chips. 3M sealant is a must.

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks, the boat is a year old & I get paranoid about drilling into it..

Master Chief Petty Officer

You should have seen my wife's face when I started drilling 4" holes in mine with zero hours on it. She loves the heater now though.

Chief Petty Officer

I am sure a lot of people have had success with fender locks, but not me. I installed some on a pontoon boat and they were broken during the first season. They did see a pretty good load. While rafted to larger boats, wakes from passing boats would move the rafted boats up and down a good bit. The rolling of the rafted boats would be somewhat out of phase and the fenders would get pulled by the rolling motion. These are the ones I used. fender lock.bmp

Petty Officer 1st Class

I would never trust those things except in VERY limited use. Maybe if you trailer and only use fenders while waiting to exit the water, or possibly if you only tie up to a dock once in a while.

When I worked in a boat store some years ago we had customers come in all too frequently asking for 1) their money back 2) replacement fenders and 3) money towards fixing the damage to their boats. And yes, we eventually stopped carrying those stupid things.

Much better to simply use the existing cleats on the boat or add new ones (especially nice pop-up ones!!) if need be. Some folks tie to bow railings but I wouldn't do that myself... Too easy to have a fender catch under the dock and fold the rail.

What's your docking scenario(s) and can you post a picture of you boat?
    1989 Sea Ray 300 Sundancer
    Twin 260 Merc I/Os
    Irondequoit Bay, Lake Ontario NY

Good advice about how to mount them....but don't. Very poor design....I wouldn't own a set.

Buy 2 pairs of deck cleats to match the ones on your boat. Mount them midway between the existing cleats. Its ok to use screws and not thru-bolt them, just remember they are for fenders, tying up tubes while you are anchored, or tying on a fish stringer, not meant for mooring.
    2009 Starcraft 14' FLSS & Yamaha 25
    2005 SeaDoo GTX 4-Tec 155
    1984 Stingray SVB190SS & Mercruiser 3.0 Liter 140
    1964 Sea Nymph 14R & 1970 Evinrude Sportwin 9.5
    1960 Mulray 100 Dinghy, equipped with Beaver Oars
    1952 Lyman 15' Mid Steer & Evinrude Big Twin 25
    63 Outboards: 1919-2008, representing 11 manufacturers
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    Member ACBS, LBOA, AOMCI

I like mine just fine. Yes I've drove off with a couple of them down a time or two. Had to go hunting for those. But I think they're really helpful after you get them rigged that you can toss a fender to a swab and have it in the right place at the right height. Mine stay on very well overall. I like em'.
    90 Carver Montego 21.5 (23') "Lady Minna" (yes a name change in honor of our fallen Labrador. Poseidon understands.)

In the immortal words of Hunter S. Thompson:
    "Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of
    arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid
    in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out,
    and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!"

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The rear cleat is too far back, when you hang the bumper its about useless. Have a mid cleat. Been using inside handle or bimini tube which I know is not good. Usually boat inland lakes, however when cruising the St Lawrence River/1000Islands area, docking on the river at Clayton,NY, the boat can get hammered to the dock.Boat 001.jpg

Ensign

I've successfully used those Perko locks for several years. And I keep my boat on a slip (no lift) all summer. One time one of the brackets broke out the bottom, but it was my fault for tying the boat too tight, and pinching the fender tight against the side of the dock. Otherwise, I've lost no fenders and have had no trouble with them. They are also very handy for quickly hanging fenders for temporary "parking".

Boats NEVER have enough cleats, and it makes good sense to add them for your fenders. You can position them precisely where they'll do your boat the most good, and they serve double duty anytime you need to add an extra line. Buy them the same size as your midship cleats and you gain a lot of versatility.

My .02
    John and Linda
    Escapade II
    1997 Four Winns 278 Vista
    Twin V-P 4.3 Gi w/SX Drives

My boat had the Perko fender clips on it when I got it. I wasn't very impressed with them.

Ended up removing them and filling the holes in the gelcoat.

Best kept secret in boating is the Folbe Quick Tender fender clips. You can use as many as you like and wherever you like. They clip over the edge of the windshield or on a cleat and allow you to instantly adjust the height of the fender depending upon the dock or boat you're tying up against.

http://www.folbe.com/index.php?main_...huul2ll3jkvr40

Pic of my boat with the Folbe clips:

Any opinions expressed above are worth exactly what you paid for them!

End of season last year I bought fender locks and new fenders. Haven't installed the locks yet. They are different from the ones pictured above. They are the style that has a plastic button that attaches to the fender line and then drops into a slot to hold the fender. Regardless, after reading the nay-sayers, I think I'll skip the fender locks and just tie the fenders on to the cleats. The thought of the fender getting stuck below a dock on a rough water day and ripping the fairly light duty lock and screws out of the glass is just too realistic a situation to risk it. I'd rather shread the fender than damage the glass.
    1985 Bayliner 1600 Capri Cuddy, 1965 MFG Niagara Custom. >> MFG Video<<. >> MFG Project<< >>Bayliner Hard Top Project<< >>Bayliner Repower Project<<

Quote Originally Posted by 45Auto View Post
    My boat had the Perko fender clips on it when I got it. I wasn't very impressed with them.

Ended up removing them and filling the holes in the gelcoat.

Best kept secret in boating is the Folbe Quick Tender fender clips. You can use as many as you like and wherever you like. They clip over the edge of the windshield or on a cleat and allow you to instantly adjust the height of the fender depending upon the dock or boat you're tying up against.

http://www.folbe.com/index.php?main_...huul2ll3jkvr40

Pic of my boat with the Folbe clips:

That's a nice product, but I would NEVER hang ANYTHING off a windshield, especially a fender. Bust the glass, and you are out hundreds if not thousands of dollars. JMO
    1985 Bayliner 1600 Capri Cuddy, 1965 MFG Niagara Custom. >> MFG Video<<. >> MFG Project<< >>Bayliner Hard Top Project<< >>Bayliner Repower Project<<

The plates won't pull out if properly installed, at least none of mine have ever become the slightest bit loose in the past 10 years, and my boat sits in the water a good deal of the time with the bumpers hanging. The fender clips slide around too much IMHO.
    90 Carver Montego 21.5 (23') "Lady Minna" (yes a name change in honor of our fallen Labrador. Poseidon understands.)

In the immortal words of Hunter S. Thompson:
    "Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of
    arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid
    in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out,
    and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!"

I boat on a lake that has some fairly busy public docks which is where I use my fenders. I put them onto the pilings so that if the boat smooshes them, no problem. That is what they are for. In my home slip I am tied off for no dock contact.
    1989 Baja Sunsport 196, Mercruiser 5.7, Alpha 1
    Moultonborough Neck, Lake Winnipesaukee, NH

Seaman Apprentice

Glad I ran across this post. I was deciding whether to add more cleats or use these locks. I am thinking cleats now definitely. Why the install 3 cleats on a 20' vessel I have no idea.
    2000 Stingray 200LX 4.3L Merc. Alpha One Gen. II
    2005 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V-8

IMO there are 2 types of fenders ..

One is your dock fender which should be fixed to your dock and not the boat.

Second is your boat fenders ( for temp docking or rafting ). Depending on the boat style and scenario you have many choices ..

This may help some but not all http://petersmarine.blogspot.com/200...hang-them.html

YD.
    Iboats Helper