Please note this thread has been inactive for 90 days. For the best results, please start a new thread.
    Seaman Apprentice

Default Homemade fuel tank - is this Ok

Hi All,

Just picked up my new/old 15ft centre console.

I have a small problem in that,the area behind the back seat is not wide enough to fit your traditional long/wide and flat fuel tank.So its currently chewing up good fishing room on the floor of the boat,

I dont have the funds to get a custom ordered tank at the moment so i was wondering Can i buy a upright Plastic jerry can and change the fitttings over to this,which will then allow it to fit where i need it to,Will the motor still be able to overcome gravity and pull fuel 2 ft up to the connector and if so,What glue/resin can i seal the fittings to the tank with that wont react to the plastic.

Thanx
    Adam

Chief Petty Officer

Default Re: Homemade fuel tank - is this Ok

I don't believe your jerry can will be vented properly to allow the fuel to flow to the engine.

Safe boating!!!
    I consider overkill a job well done... plus a little extra.

There's as many ways to do something as there is people to tell you how to do it... but not all of them are the right way.

The drinking and debauchery will continue until morale improves... and maybe for a little while after.

Seaman Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by jigngrub View Post
    I don't believe your jerry can will be vented properly to allow the fuel to flow to the engine.

Safe boating!!!
    thanx for the replies,

I was thinking of also putting a breather screw on the lid,would that allow the air to pass through,

has anyone done this before ?

Thanx
    Adam

The plastic fuel tanks at Wal Mart don't take up much more room than a Jerry can. And for about $30 for can fittings and hose you can be going. Just find the fitting to fit your motor , the boat motor fuel tank, and a fuel line. Put a fitting on both ends of the line, one for your motor, one to plug into the tank, with the opposite fitting in the tank. Under $30 and safety approved. and probably takes up maybe 1/3 more room than a jerry can, and a lot harder to tip over.

Vice Admiral

Quote Originally Posted by Pez Vela View Post
    Tempo has been out of business for a few years.
    Moeller tanks are here:
    http://www.moellermarine.com/afterma..._storage_tanks

If they are out of business then why are they still paying to keep their website up?
    Kevin

Quote Originally Posted by Tinnie
    But, where are the reevets?
    1981 Wellcraft V-20 CC Fisherman (FREE BOAT)
    1989 Wellcraft Monte Carlo 28(Build thread here)
    1992 Hotsports Jet'n'Cat Yam 701 WR3 drivetrain "SS George Washington"
    90's Yamaha WRIII and a pair of 95 Kawasaki ZXI-900's
    Fresh clean cheap oil is better then old dirty expensive oil any day

First off the fuel cans are made of Polyethylene and you will not be able to glue them. They can be thermo welded but should be pressure tested afterwords. You don't want any vapors leaking and collecting in the bilge area, unless you want to be a center of attention at 4th of July firework display ;o). Seriously, save some money and do it right with proper tank. There are many inexpensive options out there, may take some time to find but much safer than alternative. Good luck.

Petty Officer 1st Class scanman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by zagger View Post
    First off the fuel cans are made of Polyethylene and you will not be able to glue them. They can be thermo welded but should be pressure tested afterwords. You don't want any vapors leaking and collecting in the bilge area, unless you want to be a center of attention at 4th of July firework display ;o). Seriously, save some money and do it right with proper tank. There are many inexpensive options out there, may take some time to find but much safer than alternative. Good luck.
    Good advice! don't cheap out & catch fire! Any leaks below decks might just ignite with a boom, if you're not actually runnin across the water to make wind for ventilation.
    BOAT= Break Out Another Thousand!

Chief Petty Officer

If you go to ebaymotors.com and type in 'boat gas tank' I'd be really surprised if you couldn't find something to meet your needs. Save yourself the effort of cobbling fittings together and buy a prebuilt. They make them in several different shapes.

Commander

Homemade tank will not meet necessary approvals. When you get inspected, they will shut you down.
    Ray

If your WRONG and you shut up, you are WISE
    If your RIGHT and you shut up, you are MARRIED

Supreme Mariner

Plastic Jerry Cans are quitte flimsy in comparison to real marine fuel tanks. They can get punctured quite easily. There are some different choices in pre-made 3 and 6 gal tanks. See if you can find one that fits your space.

Geez, Adam! When I was younger I did much the same as you want to do. I was lucky! Now I am a little older and hopefully wiser and consider other options.

Consider this: You are carrying in your boat the equivalent of at least a couple of sticks of dynamite--wouldn't you be extra careful with them?

Then consider the cost of fuel: You always have enough money to run the engine. So: take one tankful and don't burn it. Put the money into buying a proper tank. I know--heaven forbid you don't go fishing one weekend but look at the alternative: You may end up fishing for all eternity with jerry rigged fuel tanks.

In the end, You have received a lot of good advice from others here, weigh it and do what you think best.

Banned

ive seen it done with a jerry can but it was above deck and was a sketty thing. wouldn't trust it. iboats sell gas can's pretty cheap 20-30 for 6 gallon gas tanks

Chief Petty Officer

There's also a huge difference in UV resistance between portable boat gas tanks and regular jerry cans, particularly the cheaper jerry cans.

Seaman Apprentice

Thankyou all for your replies,I will leave it currently where it is until i can afford a professionally manufactured fuel tank that will fit.

Adam