Please note this thread has been inactive for 90 days. For the best results, please start a new thread.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Lieutenant Junior Grade

Default Glastron Boats and quality?

Never heard of this brand but one popped up locally. Is this brand any good? I noticed the older ones had omc drives and only a tiny handful has mercs. Also the new ones have volvo drives. Overall I would likes some opinions.

Default Re: Glastron Boats and quality?

Glastron is a legend. What year are you talking about? They are really good boats, but just like any other if it is not taken care of they will rot. in my opinion they have some of the best styling of any boat. Also all the Glastron I have seen around here are Mercruiser drives.

Chief Petty Officer stubbsboogie's Avatar

We just sold the Glastron in my signature. Really hoping we dont regret it! One of the smoothest boats ever. We loved it!!!! I mean really loved it! Post 2000 they switched to VEC construction. One piece molds. NO wood!
    Ours had fiberglass stringers but wooden deck.

Super good ride, quick to plane, great in moderate chop.
    Overall feels very solid.
    May you live long and lucky

1991 Sea Nymph
    25 Yamaha

2006 Rinker Captiva 192
    Mercruiser 4.3 Alpha One Gen II
    TU TU TANGO TU

Captain

Glastron is a runabout icon. They've been around at least since the 60's and the older ones have a distinctive paint scheme on the sides so you can pick 'em out anywhere. They are solid boats, but need to be cared for the same as any other boat. They areprobably mid-tier boats as far as quality and creature-comforts. I wouldn't rank them as high as Cobalt or Four Winns, but pretty close to Chapparals and SeaRays.

Ever watch the James Bond movie Live and Let Die where he's racing up the river and jumps a dike (not a lebian)? That was an outboard-powered Glastron, a GT-150 I believe.
    1976 Mark Twain 200VBR w/Mercruiser 233 (Ford 351w) "Heart & Soul"

Quote Originally Posted by haulnazz15 View Post
    They've been around at least since the 60's and the older ones have a distinctive paint scheme on the sides so you can pick 'em out anywhere. They are solid boats, but need to be cared for the same as any other boat. They areprobably mid-tier boats as far as quality and creature-comforts. I wouldn't rank them as high as Cobalt or Four Winns, but pretty close to Chapparals and SeaRays.
    You`re right but in my opinnion Glastron boats are better than Chaparral, Cobalt and goes even with Four Winns and SeaRay, nothing to envy.

did u notice the blue scheme paint in my pic?

Have Fun!

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Quote Originally Posted by krakatoa View Post
    You`re right but in my opinnion Glastron boats are better than Chaparral, Cobalt and goes even with Four Winns and SeaRay, nothing to envy.
    Sorry, not so. Not even the same class as Cobalt. I'd say few would rate them up with Chaparral, Sea Ray or Four Winns either. Depends on which model and year, of course. New ones are close to entry level runabouts - maybe a small step up.

Seaman Apprentice

I have a 2000 Glastron GX 205 WITH A Volvo 5.0GL engine and a SX drive. I have had it for a year and we love it! It's a perfect size for a family of four. Great for skiing, tubing, cruising, and fishing. It has no wood in the floor to rot! The only wood in it is in the seats and sun deck. It goes a little over 50MPH with my family and gear. Not bad on gas either! If you are mechanically inclined it is very easy to work on. All maintenance parts are easily accessible. (raw water pump, impeller, filters, etc.) Some will tell you that Volvo parts are impossible to find, but don't believe it. They are available. Maybe more expensive than Mercruiser parts, but they are better parts. I would strongly recommend a Glastron! There are great deals out there on new Glastrons.

Captain

Agreed^. Doesn't hold a candle to a Cobalt or Four Winns, but the original pricetag of a Glastron is half of what those two are anyway. It wasn't meant to compete in the luxury-class of runabouts.

That being said, I still think that throughout their history, they are a mid-level boat with a mid-level price. They run well and ride well for their size, but you won't likely be seeing a whole lot of stainless steel or teak wood. I've only ridden in two Glastrons, an 18 and a 20ft version of mid-90's vintage. They are what I consider to be a mid-v hull, not really a deep-V but they make great ski wakes (pretty flat).

Let's not forget that Glastron was the originator of the runabout deep vee hull and the design was extensively copied in the 60s and 70s. If you look at it from the right angles, it is a very "sexy" hull.

Can't speak about newer ones, but the older Glastrons were known to be prone to floor rot. They were a bit light in the topsides but this made them fast.

Me? I only own three Glastrons. Back in the 1970s, I cruised a 15 footer up the Hudson River into Lake Champlain and on into Canada, down the St. Lawrence Seaway, and back home to New York. It handled all kinds of water well.

I would have to say glastron is a mid-level boat, but if we are talking about the old GT's or carlson's I would take one of those over a Baja or Checkmate from the same time period.
    I may be a bit biased as a classic glastron member of the Michigan Chapter.
    "Noah was a brave man to sail in a wooden boat with 2 termites."

Thumbs up Re: Glastron Boats and quality?

Well, lurking here in the shadows: I like what you all say of the Glastron.
    We're finalizing a deal on a '98 SE195. Hope to have it brought up for a lake cruise and purchase on Wed/Thu.

Oh, the beginning of a new era ~ gettin' wet.
    Good to hear the comments, info and stories.

PEACE and Be Safe

The classics in their day were some of the best boats. My 81 SX190 has TONS of teak and loads of creature comforts that they really do not have today. I have the original bill of sale.

$19,000!!! That was pretty steep in those days. She has had the floors replaced and we are doing the engine this winter, along with the transom.

C`mon guys dont think that Glastron is a Mid-Level boat, its more than that, maybe not the better one but one of the best hull around today. Mine is from 1993 ad handle very well in rougt water, I can tell you since I "boating" in salt water, not lake. my deck is wood but stringers are fiberglass and looking down the wood its looks great, no complaints regarding "inside" the hull after 16 years already....

Captain

[QUOTE=haulnazz15;2347154], but pretty close to Chapparals and SeaRays.

Says the guy who can't spell it. I actually laughed out loud at this bit of wisdom.
    2003 Chaparral 183SS

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I love mine.

1996 Glastron SE195
    4.3LX with Alpha 1 gen 2

Captain

[QUOTE=jkust;2348461]
    Quote Originally Posted by haulnazz15 View Post
    , but pretty close to Chapparals and SeaRays.

Says the guy who can't spell it. I actually laughed out loud at this bit of wisdom.
    A spelling error makes the opinion invalid? If we were speaking face-to-face how would you be able to laugh at it then? What a worthless post on your part. Obviously you had nothing intelligent to add to the discussion, so you resorted to being a spelling nazi. Good call there, slim.

Captain

[QUOTE=haulnazz15;2348638]
    Quote Originally Posted by jkust View Post

A spelling error makes the opinion invalid? If we were speaking face-to-face how would you be able to laugh at it then? What a worthless post on your part. Obviously you had nothing intelligent to add to the discussion, so you resorted to being a spelling nazi. Good call there, slim.
    Actually on the internet, when opining, a spelling error in an area where you claim to be in the know means a lot. Especially in this context. In person, I would likely have a different take since you seem to be up to speed on many brands. Welcome to the internet slim.
    2003 Chaparral 183SS

Hey, guys! Can't we just have world peas?

The topic is Glastrons, not spelling and acrimonious replies. Ohhh! Big word--I guess that makes me right. LOL

Still like mine!

Oh........Time to winterize......NOT
    1996 Glastron SE195
    4.3LX with Alpha 1 gen 2

Seaman Apprentice

I have a 1974 Glastron/Carlson CV16 and I get so many compliments at the lake it isn't funny. I know it's nothing like what to OP is talking about, but I'd say it's better than almost any 16' ski boat of it's time. I may be a bit biased though, being a member of the Classic Glastron Owners Association and Carlson Speed.

If I was into collecting Glastrons, I would go pick this one up!

http://lasvegas.craigslist.org/boa/1394083052.html
    1996 Glastron SE195
    4.3LX with Alpha 1 gen 2

good price, decent quality, hull rides better than expected for the size. not the most luxurious but fiberglass throughout, i have put 120 hours on mine with no more issues than a lose screw or two.

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Quote Originally Posted by Pierutrus View Post
    If I was into collecting Glastrons, I would go pick this one up!

http://lasvegas.craigslist.org/boa/1394083052.html
    Hey Cool, I have that exact same boat motor combo, but in a gray/silver sparkle color. I really like it, very fun boat and I get a lot of thumbs up on the water with it. it IS fast!! I can't beleive I'm thinking of selling it

Captain

Quote Originally Posted by jkust View Post
    Actually on the internet, when opining, a spelling error in an area where you claim to be in the know means a lot. Especially in this context. In person, I would likely have a different take since you seem to be up to speed on many brands. Welcome to the internet slim.
    Wow, you don't have a pot to piss in, bud. Spelling errors on the internet have absolutley nothing to do with the validity of the comment or post. Sure, a ton of spelling errors in a post or string of posts tends to make the poster seem unintelligible, but a one-word spelling error does not. As I mentioned, you obviously have no real-world input on any of the boats in question and are the ONLY person in disagreement with my opinion. You sir, have failed at the internet. Give the keyboard/mouse back to your teenage kid who likely knows more about the internet and it's "rules" than you do.

Petty Officer 1st Class

Some of the old Glastrons were luxury boats. For the most part now I would consider them entry level crafts. Above Bayliner but below Chapparal. New ones are made very well imo. The smaller models lack all the ss hardware you see on nicer boats like Chapps. They are not anywhere near a Cobalt. If you build one on their website they come in cheaper than many other boats in that same class. I donít think they are bad boats by any stretch, I would have no problems taking one off a showroom floor. Even though their name is no longer part of the luxury brands, itís still a good boat. They make them better now than they used to.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast