Please note this thread has been inactive for 90 days. For the best results, please start a new thread.
Results 1 to 20 of 20
  1. #1
    Petty Officer 1st Class lexer440's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Canada/Lake Erie
    Posts
    221

    Default Fastest boats on the lake?

    A friend of mine asked me, Sport fishing spend all day on the water trolling around at 2/3kms fishing so, why do they all have huge hp motors like they were drag racers? I don't know, anyone care to enlighten me?

  2. #2
    Supreme Mariner Frank Acampora's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Southeastern Pa.
    Posts
    10,266

    Default Re: Fastest boats on the lake?

    In a simplified nutshell---Tournament bass fishermen have time limits. The more time it takes to get to the hot spots, the less fishing time there is: Time is money to these guys so they need to go fast. The rest just want to look cool and buy the equipment.

  3. #3
    Lieutenant Commander 26aftcab454's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Grapevine,TX
    Posts
    1,510

    Default Re: Fastest boats on the lake?

    lexer- what does 440 stand for? a 440 Wedge!

    Bass fishermen never troll lures- cept for Canadians & striper/walleyes fishermen.

    Bass fishermen troll with an electric trolling motor just to cover a likely spot or hold the position.

    And it can be a race to be the 1st to the spot! Hence the need for speed.

    Any size or type of fishing boat that gets to the fishing grounds faster-especially far offshore, the better. more time fishing/ less time riding.

    Would you rather date a fat frumpy gal with a Moe Howard hair cut
    or a Beautiful Sports Illustrated Swim Suit Model with a certain lack of morals??

    sorry for the rant- fish do not care what kind of boat you have- I've caught plenty in a small aluminum boat.

    But that is a dumb question you posted.
    1981 Glastron SX-190 300hp 350 SBC
    Living the Dream

  4. #4
    Senior Chief Petty Officer DBreskin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Cherry Hill, New Jersey
    Posts
    789

    Default Re: Fastest boats on the lake?

    Quote Originally Posted by 26aftcab454 View Post
    But that is a dumb question you posted.
    There are no dumb questions, only dumb answers.
    1992 Four Winns Horizon 200 5.8L OMC Cobra. If you're looking for me on the water, watch for the striped bimini.

    1983 Prindle 16 catamaran
    Old Town Penobscot 16 canoe
    Fanatic F100 Sailboard

  5. #5
    Lieutenant Commander 26aftcab454's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Grapevine,TX
    Posts
    1,510

    Default Re: Fastest boats on the lake?

    but true
    1981 Glastron SX-190 300hp 350 SBC
    Living the Dream

  6. #6
    Admiral j_martin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Isanti, MN
    Posts
    7,477

    Default Re: Fastest boats on the lake?

    Quote Originally Posted by lexer440 View Post
    A friend of mine asked me, Sport fishing spend all day on the water trolling around at 2/3kms fishing so, why do they all have huge hp motors like they were drag racers? I don't know, anyone care to enlighten me?
    It scares my kids shiftless, so I have more time to fish.

  7. #7
    Chief Petty Officer
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    401

    Default Re: Fastest boats on the lake?

    This is kind of like asking why people drive fast performance cars. Either people like fast cars or boats or they don't.

  8. #8
    Petty Officer 1st Class '96 Charger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Pinnacle, AR
    Posts
    221

    Default Re: Fastest boats on the lake?

    One time I was out on the lake looking for spawning bass. Me and a guy with an aluminum with what looked like a 15hp both put in at the same time. I spent 10-15 mins on 2-3 different holes and every time I'd move further down the lake I'd pass him. We both ended up at the same place eventually at the opposite end of the lake but I had spend most of the time that he spent operating his tiller handle fishing. Then there's thunderstorms that pop up out of nowhere. Would you rather be in a 20mph boat or a 60mph boat with lightning getting really close to you? Really it all has to do with the type of fishing you do. I wish I had a 16' flatbottom with a 25hp for trout fishing and putting other places my big Charger has no business going but that won't happen for another several years. The big fast bass boat was the best choice for 95% of my fishing so that's what I got.

    The fastest bass boats on the water from what I can tell are...
    Bumblebee
    Allison Craft (overpriced pos pasteboard box but fast)
    Bullet
    Javelin
    Gambler
    Stratos

    I know there are some I'm forgetting.

  9. #9
    Lieutenant Commander
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Piedmont N.C.
    Posts
    1,685

    Default Re: Fastest boats on the lake?

    My brother got a late 80s Procraft 16 fishnski w Yama pro v 150 in trade for building a shelter onto a man,who supplied the materials, barn.It will fly!70+and scares the crap out of him and anyone who rides in it that fast!but it is fun when its calm.he finds deals on stuff all the time.on his maiden voyage he came screaming by my dad and I, who beat him to the lake and were fishing on a main lake point.Dad didnt believe me when I said "there goes Travis, I guess theres nothing wrong w the engine" as he suspected when he got it in trade.that was 3 yrs ago,still running strong!

  10. #10
    Fleet Admiral
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Norfolk
    Posts
    9,542

    Default Re: Fastest boats on the lake?

    even with salt water offshore fishing: the clients are paying big bucks to fish. You need to get out there quickly so you can maximize your time fishing.
    that's the practical answer.
    the other answer is demonstrated by the fact that a Honda accord goes 65 mph at the same speed as a Corvette or a Ferrarri. But which would most people rather have?
    Third answer, like the dog question: because he can
    A man of constant boat tinkering.

  11. #11
    Lieutenant Junior Grade DuckHunterJon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Marion, NY
    Posts
    1,080

    Default Re: Fastest boats on the lake?

    That third answer, IMHO, is the best answer to this post. It's the reason I have the 200 opti on the back of my boat!
    Jon Hunter
    Marion, NY

    2006 Procraft 200 Combo with Merc 200 Opti
    2007 Homemade Duck Boat with Merc 39

  12. #12
    Petty Officer 1st Class
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Posts
    368

    Default Re: Fastest boats on the lake?

    Quote Originally Posted by '96 Charger View Post
    I wish I had a 16' flatbottom with a 25hp for trout fishing and putting other places my big Charger has no business going but that won't happen for another several years.
    Haha, you'd be surprised where the big Charger can go. I watched a tournament on TV this weekend and these two locals were schooling the more well known pros. They had a fishing spot that they had to travel up a creek for a very long ways to get to. They actually had to plow there way through a couple of beaver dams and they said they were in 8" of water at one point throwing mud up like a 4-wheeler, and towing each other. One of the boats was completely covered with mud and sticks and stuff when they got out the other end. These were full sized tournament bass boats and they were trashing them to no end to get to this spot... so don't think the big Charger can't get to anywhere that 16' flat bottom can.

    As for the original question... the big motor is to minimize the non-fishing time on an outing... short and simple.
    Mike

    '95 ProCraft 200 Combo w/ Mercury 200HP XRi


  13. #13
    Lieutenant bekosh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    West Bend, WI
    Posts
    1,369

    Default Re: Fastest boats on the lake?

    When it comes to boats there are 2 things you can never have enough of.

    Water underneath & horse power behind.
    1992 Cruisers 2870 Rogue "Better Days"
    Twin Volvo-Penta 5.7l/Duo-Props

    My Google Map
    BoatingWinnebago.com

  14. #14
    Commander gonefishie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    2,628

    Default Re: Fastest boats on the lake?

    Quote Originally Posted by convergent View Post
    Haha, you'd be surprised where the big Charger can go. I watched a tournament on TV this weekend and these two locals were schooling the more well known pros. They had a fishing spot that they had to travel up a creek for a very long ways to get to. They actually had to plow there way through a couple of beaver dams and they said they were in 8" of water at one point throwing mud up like a 4-wheeler, and towing each other. One of the boats was completely covered with mud and sticks and stuff when they got out the other end. These were full sized tournament bass boats and they were trashing them to no end to get to this spot... so don't think the big Charger can't get to anywhere that 16' flat bottom can.

    As for the original question... the big motor is to minimize the non-fishing time on an outing... short and simple.
    I think he meant to go there without trashing it. I saw that tournament on the Delta too. I'd come back with a jet boat if I know I'm going to be fishing in a spot like that. Unless, FLW banned jet boat. Them boys sure trashed the hell outta their boats. I can't imagine what the mud that was sucked up does to the impeller and motor.

    Like bekosh said, more water and more power.

  15. #15
    Petty Officer 1st Class
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Posts
    368

    Default Re: Fastest boats on the lake?

    Quote Originally Posted by gonefishie View Post
    I think he meant to go there without trashing it. I saw that tournament on the Delta too. I'd come back with a jet boat if I know I'm going to be fishing in a spot like that. Unless, FLW banned jet boat. Them boys sure trashed the hell outta their boats. I can't imagine what the mud that was sucked up does to the impeller and motor.

    Like bekosh said, more water and more power.
    I agree... I was just saying!

    I would have never gone into that spot with my boat and I'm sure its worth way less $$$$ than the ones they were trashing. But can you put a price on 10 minutes of fame on a TV bass fishin' show?
    Mike

    '95 ProCraft 200 Combo w/ Mercury 200HP XRi


  16. #16
    Commander gonefishie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    2,628

    Default Re: Fastest boats on the lake?

    Quote Originally Posted by convergent View Post
    I agree... I was just saying!

    I would have never gone into that spot with my boat and I'm sure its worth way less $$$$ than the ones they were trashing. But can you put a price on 10 minutes of fame on a TV bass fishin' show?
    I would! It's more than a TV show, a spot in the FLW Cup and a chance at 500K-1 million. Even in the brand new Phoenix which was the fastest on the lake yesterday. It felt great when others had to slow down for rough water while I kept the pedal to the floor.

  17. #17
    Petty Officer 1st Class Sharp Shooter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Fontana, Ca
    Posts
    250

    Default Re: Fastest boats on the lake?

    Quote Originally Posted by '96 Charger View Post
    The fastest bass boats on the water from what I can tell are...
    Bumblebee
    Allison Craft (overpriced pos pasteboard box but fast)
    Bullet
    Javelin
    Gambler
    Stratos
    Correction. The fastest Bass boats on the water are 1500 horsepower Biesemeyer and Revenge Flatbottoms.


  18. #18
    Petty Officer 2nd Class
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    St. Louis
    Posts
    101

    Default Re: Fastest boats on the lake?

    Quote Originally Posted by '96 Charger View Post
    The fastest bass boats on the water from what I can tell are...
    Bumblebee
    Allison Craft (overpriced pos pasteboard box but fast)
    Bullet
    Javelin
    Gambler
    Stratos

    I know there are some I'm forgetting.
    I am guessing you have never been in an allison. With my little 200 xri, I can run 85 light and 82 with a pasenger and 79 loaded to fish....with a prop change I can put five in the boat, pull slalom skiers and still run 70ish...they require a little bit of driver skill but stringing them out is addicitng..and turn like a jet ski......They are some of the mose strucally sound fuel efficient boats made

  19. #19
    Chief Petty Officer mpdive's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Graniteville SC
    Posts
    567

    Default Re: Fastest boats on the lake?

    My boat is the fastest....
    Sometimes it's more important to be human, than to have good taste. ~Brecht

  20. #20
    Moderator QC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Chino Hills, CA
    Posts
    22,023

    Default Re: Fastest boats on the lake?

    Year old thread. Gonna let it sink to where only downriggers should go . . .

Similar Threads

  1. Shell Lake Boats
    By JimAllen in forum Boat Restoration, Building, and Hull Repair
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: August 16th, 2011, 05:40 PM
  2. jet boats lake tahoe
    By mongo9421 in forum Boating Activities, Rendezvous and Destinations
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: May 7th, 2008, 11:02 AM
  3. Lund Shell Lake fiberglass boats and painting boats
    By yam350yfm in forum Lund Boats
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: December 27th, 2007, 11:58 AM
  4. shell lake boats
    By frogman3 in forum Boat Topics and Questions (not engine topics)
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: September 7th, 2003, 09:11 AM
  5. Lake Erie Boats?
    By JAZZedBW in forum Boating Activities, Rendezvous and Destinations
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: January 5th, 2003, 11:50 AM
  1. iboats Forum Directory - Over 100,000 forum posts organized by topic