Please note this thread has been inactive for 90 days. For the best results, please start a new thread.
    Petty Officer 1st Class

Question Costco Marine Battery

Looking to buy a replacement battery for my boat, the one that went dead was a "Ever Start" marine battery from Wal-Mart that only lasted 2years of light-duty use. Checking out the Kirkland brand from costco. Does anybody have a opinion?? bad or good??
    Thanks for any replys

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Default Re: Costco Marine Battery

I haven't tried their batteries yet but that is where I plan on getting mine if needed in the future because Costco always stands behind what they sell so far & I have been a member as long as they have been in my area.
    Everyone has an opinion & this is just mine sorry if it offends anyone.

I am a Newbie so please be nice.

Tow Vehicle is Land Rover when we tow that is.
    1996 Ebbtide Mystique 2100 (The Wet Bear)
    Mercruiser 5.7L w/ Mercruiser Alpha 1 Gen 2
    14 1/8 19p SS Prop
    Tennessee Trailer designed for Ebbtide

Petty Officer 1st Class

see who actually manufactures the battery, there are many different brands but only a few manufacturers, you will see the actual manufacturer in the fine print on the label. Look for "johnson controls" or "exide" both good manufacturers.

I was going to say, there are very few companies that actually manufacture batteries in this country, I have always had good luck with Costco batteries, and would not hesitate to purchase another one..

Just did a search and found that Costco batteries are made by Johnson Controls, the same place that makes the Wal-Mart battery, the article also said that Interstate doesn't actaully make batteries, they just sell them and they too are made by Johnson Controls.

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...tml#post519800

Sort of interesting read.
    GO IRISH!!!!

Petty Officer 1st Class

yep, thats right. Johnson Controls makes a good battery.

Petty Officer 1st Class

Agreed that Costco stands behind their products. ALso, you might get a smart (trickle) charger that you can leave on the battery without risk of cooking it. I had a motorcycle (sport bike) battery last for 10 years thanks to a Battery Tender (and coastal socal weather) Lack of use is about as bad as freezing or overheating a battery.

Petty Officer 1st Class

Well went to Wally-World today and tried to see if the dead battery had a warrenty but salesperson said they use to have a 2yr warrenty on all marine batteries but since Jan. 2011 there is NO warrenty on all marine batteries.
    I like Costco products anyway so i will be buying that marine deep cycle battery for around $75-80.

Chief Petty Officer

If you want to save money in the long run, but a sealed battery like an Optima. They cost twice as much, but last three times as long. They can be bought at amazon for about 10 to 20% less than list. If you ever own one, you will never buy a conventional battery again. Lighter, safer, and MUCH higher performance.
    Google Optima Battery, get the dual purpose (deep cycle and starting)

Commander

I think I have read that the Optima batteries are good for Marine use but really bad for use in an RV/Motorhome.

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Quote Originally Posted by lkbum View Post
    If you want to save money in the long run, but a sealed battery like an Optima. They cost twice as much, but last three times as long. They can be bought at amazon for about 10 to 20% less than list. If you ever own one, you will never buy a conventional battery again. Lighter, safer, and MUCH higher performance.
    Google Optima Battery, get the dual purpose (deep cycle and starting)
    I have used Optima's in my Land Rovers with good results. Incidentally you can get them at Costco also.
    Everyone has an opinion & this is just mine sorry if it offends anyone.

I am a Newbie so please be nice.

Tow Vehicle is Land Rover when we tow that is.
    1996 Ebbtide Mystique 2100 (The Wet Bear)
    Mercruiser 5.7L w/ Mercruiser Alpha 1 Gen 2
    14 1/8 19p SS Prop
    Tennessee Trailer designed for Ebbtide

Seaman

I purchased 2 of the Everstart Marine batteries this weekend at Walmart. They feature a 1 year warrantee stated clearly on the shelf and the tag. But to be totally honest at 60-65 bucks each, I don't expect them to last over 2 years. But you get what you pay for. A good battery is gonna cost anywhere from 150-200 bucks apiece and that will last.... Thats just my 2cents worth on that. I just couldnt see 300-400 bucks for batteries right now.

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I do know that Interstate supplies Costco with their batteries, and I know that Interstate batteries are good ones.

Petty Officer 1st Class captain zac's Avatar

FYI

Johnson Controls make bats for Interstate, Costco, Sams, Walmart, Advance Auto
    Johnson Controls ownes 49% of Interstate

The specs of an Interstate Bat are more stringent than the others (per district vp at Interstate)??????
    but not sure if that matters much

Harry

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Johnson Controls makes batteries for different companies, but not all johnson Controls batteries are made to the same specifcations. For long battery life, it's important to buy a brand like Interstate that has higher specs the wally world.

If you deep cycle a regular battery, it may not recover. So, if you do run your battery down pretty low, might be a good idea to get a "deep cycle" to start with. Also remember that a maintenance free battery is also a maintenance PROOF bat. Check the electrolyte / water level often and top off with distilled water when needed. Places like Walmarts and Auto zone and other auto places have a good battery checker that puts a load on the battery several times in a couple of miutes and they will check your battery free. Good idea to have them checked before making that big cruise...

Petty Officer 1st Class

Johnson controls also makes optima's.

I have also looked at walmart batteries and they still say 12 month warrentee.

Lieutenant Commander Lion hunter's Avatar

I can personally say that other than the stock junk that comes in new cars I have never had a battery that was a bad. I have had plenty that went bad and that was from my laziness or improper use. Using deep cycle to start a motor or starting batteries to troll with are a few of the things I have done to kill a battery. Leaving them uncharged for a long period or not putting them on the charger when I get home are a few others. So overall most batterries are pretty good and I wouldn't hesitate in buying a wally world or costco battery. Not saying that you won't get a bad one ever because things happen but if you take care of them most will last. If you can find a supplier that sells them dry that's your best bet. As soon as batteries are filled the cores begin to deteriorate. Those miniscule particles fall to the bottom of the battery. Every time they are shaken (shipping, towing, boat rocking) those particles can become lodged between the plates which can short that set of plates out. Happens enough it can kill a battery. So buy a dry cell if you can and have them fill it right there, you have a better chance of getting a good battery.
    The Crestliner Restoration

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread....49#post2218249

1967 16' Crestliner and 60hp Johnny

Klamath Trailorboat and 9.9 Johnny

Commander

I was at a Cabels store yesterday and was checking out the batteries. They have a good assortment of wet-gell&AWG batteries. I was surprised to see CCA rating on AWG batteries, thought it would be AMP ratings only. Their prices were about the same as most auto/marine stores. I thing the Costco prices are better and you can,t beat the warranty.

Chief Petty Officer '78 Crusader's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lion hunter View Post
    I can personally say that other than the stock junk that comes in new cars I have never had a battery that was a bad. I have had plenty that went bad and that was from my laziness or improper use. Using deep cycle to start a motor or starting batteries to troll with are a few of the things I have done to kill a battery. Leaving them uncharged for a long period or not putting them on the charger when I get home are a few others. So overall most batterries are pretty good and I wouldn't hesitate in buying a wally world or costco battery. Not saying that you won't get a bad one ever because things happen but if you take care of them most will last. If you can find a supplier that sells them dry that's your best bet. As soon as batteries are filled the cores begin to deteriorate. Those miniscule particles fall to the bottom of the battery. Every time they are shaken (shipping, towing, boat rocking) those particles can become lodged between the plates which can short that set of plates out. Happens enough it can kill a battery. So buy a dry cell if you can and have them fill it right there, you have a better chance of getting a good battery.
    X2. The ONLY time I've had a battery die on me is when it was the original battery. Once I replaced them, I've not had a problem since.

Chief Petty Officer

I have to say you mentioned that it was light duty which is almost worse for a battery than anything else. There are some conditioners that can help bring a battery back somewhat, the best case is to get a charger and keep it topped off. There is a lot of snake oil out there for batteries, but good practices will definitely help. I actually like the batteryminder stuff, even beyond their marketing hype. They have an offer now where they'll throw in a charge indicator.

I'd personally love to have an onboard one and not have to muck with it.

http://www.batteryminders.com/batter...D-p-16177.html

You can find em for around $40 on ebay and elsewhere.
    1988 Maxum 2000SR
    Mercruiser 3.0
    Alpha 1 s/n: 6415065

Petty Officer 2nd Class biglurr54's Avatar

I use two walmart ever start batteries. Yes they are car batteries but if you are just starting an engine and running some light electronics you can't go wrong. I have a 4 year pro rated warranty. My two batteries have never let me down. I haven't needed the 4 year warranty but it's nice to know I had it. I am out of the four years now so at $65 a battery I got my moneys worth. Beware of things that say marine. It doesn't always mean best. Just my two cents.

Cadet

Buy Costco, I have found that they live up to their guarantee or warrantees on the batteries they sell.I have used their marine batteries over the past twenty years and have drained them down to no power or very little power and the deep cycle always came back. Most of the time I stuck a charger on them over night and went back fishing the next day. In the last two years two out of three marine batteries went back to Costco because of dead cells, I got 100% back for one and 40% back for the other. I purchased two replacement auto batteries because they have a three year full replacement and prorated for the rest of the months. While marine batteries only have a three year warrantee. Since the two batteries are for the main engine and it does have a working charger the batteries should not be drained to far down on each trip. My batteries are also put on chargers at the end of the day in prep for the next day od fishing. The third battery for the electric reels is a marine battery because when in use it only gets drained and not charged during the fishing day. Costco does not ask you to prove ot test your battery when you tell them it went bad. Good place to buy batteries from.

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I agree with what has been said about Costco batteries. I have to admit that my only experience with them is with the two car batteries that I'm running right now (both about 2 yrs old.) They've both been perfect and I've still got another year worth of 100% replacement warranty left on each one.

BTW, these cars aren't driven all that much and often sit for two weeks at a time without being started. The batteries have endured this light use with no problem so far. My next car/marine battery will come from Costco.
    2004 Stingray 200LX, Volvo 5.0GL
    1973 Sanger Runnerbottom, V-drive, BBC
    1972 Stevens Flatbottom, project boat
    1997 Yamaha GP1200
    1994 Yamaha WaveRaider
    2 X 1996 Sea Doo XP