Please note this thread has been inactive for 90 days. For the best results, please start a new thread.
    Lieutenant Junior Grade Isaacm1986's Avatar

Default brush painting a boat?

I am getting ready to paint my boat, but I have a few questions. This guy told me about this stuff you can put in the paint to take out the brush stokes? i dont know what this stuff is called? has anyone heard or this? would you normally paint a boat with a brush?

also what kind of paint should i be using. I am only repainting the top of the boat, the hull and bottom paint are still in excellent condition.

thanks for the help

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Default Re: brush painting a boat?

Noticed your photos on your other post, that could be a very cool restoration project if done properly. And by "done properly", I mean spraying the paint with the right primer, paint, and clear. The topside of your boat will take as much abuse as the bottom, please don't brush it down with house paint. Spend a few bucks and do it right!

Just my $0.02. . .but you're taking on a big restoration project. If you cut corners up front, you won't be happy with the results, you'll get discouraged, and the project won't get finished.

I was not thinking of using house paint, but thank you for your 2 cents. i am very excited for this restore project, it is the first one i am attempting on a boat. i was just curious if anyone had ever tried brush painting a boat.

Master Chief Petty Officer

Many people here have painted their boats with a roller and brush (the method is called "roll and tip"). They sell paint for marine use that works great with a brush and roller. Go to the resto section and search it. The results are amazing and the paint looks like it was sprayed.

Petty Officer 2nd Class mmccoy555's Avatar

use brightside topside paint. you can brush it on and it rolls flat like glass.

Lieutenant Junior Grade marine4003's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mmccoy555 View Post
    use brightside topside paint. you can brush it on and it rolls flat like glass.
    Yup!

Unless your familiar with spraying....go with Topside.in the shade,and buy the brush thinner, go to US Paint's website..everything you'll need to know is there.
    Spraying requires knowledge of pressures,water filters,mixing ratios,ambient air temps..humidity , spray patterns..overlap.ect.....
    Nec aspera terrent

Master Chief Petty Officer

Quote Originally Posted by Bubba1235 View Post
    Yes there are paints you can do it with but,,, with the cost of a decent spray gun being so low I don't know why you would. Heck, you can even rent a gun and compressor for a few bucks and do it all in a day.
    Very true but, if you donít know how to set up a gun at the correct psi, you will make a mess. If you donít know how to properly spray, you will make a mess. If you donít tape everything off and get overspray inside the boat, you will make a mess.
    Just about everyone knows how to work a roller and brush. In my opinion it takes less skill with the "roll and tip" method. The overspray issue doesnít exist either. If the results werenít great I would not recommend it.
    I did two surfboards with Interlux Perfection and they came out beautiful. Keep in mind I have experience with a chopper gun and a regular sprayer. Being able to not have to take up space at my dads shop or borrow his equipment made it a simple choice for me.

Do a google search for Roll and Tipping. If done right it turns out beautiful.
    Rick
    2008 JC Neptoon 25TT
    115hp Honda 4-stroke
    2007 Suburban LTZ
    Lake Murray, SC

thanks guys for all the advise! i think i will give the roll ad tip way a try, worst case senario i can sand it all down again and spray it.

Roll and tipping works best with paints with levelers designed to be brushed. Paint like Interlux Brightside. It goes on and self-levels to get rid of the brush marks. If you want to paint faster, use a roller, then go back over with a brush (aka roll & tip).

BTW, most people roll & Tip in a horizontal direction. Interlux tests show a better finish is achieved working in a vertical direction.
    1985 Bayliner 1600 Capri Cuddy, 1965 MFG Niagara Custom. >> MFG Video<<. >> MFG Project<< >>Bayliner Hard Top Project<< >>Bayliner Repower Project<<

Petty Officer 2nd Class dontask's Avatar

See if you can get a video copy of the show "Ship Shape TV" did on this brush on painting subject about 5 years ago. It came out excellent (if done right).