Please note this thread has been inactive for 90 days. For the best results, please start a new thread.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Lieutenant Junior Grade

Default Re: Best 31 ft Cruiser?

Quote Originally Posted by Slip Away View Post
    What exactly about the layout did you not like? Did you look at used 290SCR, 282CR and 300 SCR ? All 3 have different layouts.
    I was hoping to get the OP's answer to my question, but Thalasso must have scared him away.

The OP seems to be looking for a Four Winns 318 now.
    RJP
    2004 Four Winns 180 Freedom, 150 HP Evinrude Direct Injection
    1974 Winner 280 Cruiser, t-302 225HP V-drives
    2002 Gheenoe 13', 5HP Nissan 2 stroke
    1981 Four Winns Marquise 180 Cuddy, Mercruiser 165HP I6 -- PROJECT

I am sure I'll get beat up for this, but the Bayliner 320 is a superb boat (2008+), and a great value. Loved it with twin 300 MPIs and Bravo 3s. Very honest 45 MPH boat. Nothing you don't need, and everything you do. I liked the 300 and 340 as well.

Decent review here: 2009 Bayliner 320 SOLD - YouTube

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Good luck with the V318 search. Popular boat for short term ownership.

Master Chief Petty Officer F14CRAZY's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Seevee View Post
    F14,

Did a search and came up empty. Did a search without Constellation and found only old boats 02 or earlier. Too old for me, unless I'm missing something. However, thx.
    There actually was a 25 or 26' Constellation but I had the classics in mind...while I feel they have the best craftsmanship of any boat produced I was not suggesting them to make a serious suggestion in this thread
    197133' Chris Craft Coho/Catalina Sedan, twin CC 327QA's, Paragon V drives. Restoration in progress1985 Bayliner Capri 1952 (19' cuddy),OMC 3.0L. Restored with the knowledge here on iBoats'70 (circa) Amphicat 6x6 AATV, future Coho tender'87 Kawasaki 650SX, '90

Tow rig: '74 Buick LeSabre Luxus convertible 455ci cude U 4BBL factory dual exhaust

Have you thought about a 310 Rinker? Good friends of mine have a 2003, it is a great boat!! Has everything you are looking for. Genny, lounge seat. Twin 5.7L with bravo III, A/C.

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Quote Originally Posted by seaclusion3300 View Post
    Have you thought about a 310 Rinker? Good friends of mine have a 2003, it is a great boat!! Has everything you are looking for. Genny, lounge seat. Twin 5.7L with bravo III, A/C.
    It was suggested to him on another forum, but ignored. He appears to now be on track of a 328 Vista. Lowest price is driving the search.

Seaman

Quote Originally Posted by Slip Away View Post
    What exactly about the layout did you not like? Did you look at used 290SCR, 282CR and 300 SCR ? All 3 have different layouts.
    Slip,

A lot of the Monterey's did not have the port lounge. The 302 Cruiser Express and the 330 Sport Yacht did, and both looked nice, but have no info on these. Need to do more homework.

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Got it. Port lounger is a must for you. That rules out the 3 boats I suggested. Then you are left with The 330SY,350SY (too big for your lift) and the classic 302. Check out the 2005 302 in Tampa . 3755308_0_111020110805_2.jpg

The 2008 320 Bayliner has the biggest port lounge I've ever seen:

Just sayin' . . .

I need to come clean . . . one of the reasons I am pushing the 320 was I was invited to a test by US Marine in late '07. I ran the 300, 320 and 340 as well as the Maxxum 2700 and 2900. Here's my write up:

http://forums.iboats.com/bayliner-bo...ew-223503.html

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Quote Originally Posted by QC View Post
    The 2008 320 Bayliner has the biggest port lounge I've ever seen:

Just sayin' . . .
    With the possible exception of the Rinker 310EC
    F_11RNK_310EC_6488_COCKPIT.jpg

It should be remembered that Bayliner cruisers will no longer be sold in the United States after 12/31/12. Brunswick will
    move production to Brazil, and the cruisers will only be sold outside the US. I imagine Bayliner dealers will still service the
    boats that have been sold here, but it may be slightly more of a challenge to get warranty work and factory support ging
    forward.

Not sure what warranty would be of concern on 4 year old boats, and the pieces that matter are all Merc anyway. What is there to get service on that is not generic? A breaker panel? Cushions? Canvas? Not coming up with anything here Fact is that he will probably look beyond Bayliner, I get that. But I for one, would seriously consider one. Most of the reasons not to buy one will only cause lower resale as opposed to any real problems. That seems like a good thing for a used boat buyer

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Ayuh,
    Warranty concerns on 4 year old boats would be:
    1. Gelcoat problems
    2. Hull problems (structural,blistering, etc)
    These issues can crop up on a B-Liner, or any other brand. Dealer support is important to get these
    type issues resolved.
    And because anybody can buy a boat, these things can happen in just 4 years or less.

But the fact remains, the OP is not interested in a B-liner, and appears to have moved on to other brands.

Did you just say Ayuh?

Yeah I figured same on both your points.

Seaman

Quote Originally Posted by rbh View Post
    Is your 270 the older one with a 10 foot beam or the newer one with 9 foot.
    I really appreciate the old 270 of ours, 31.6 overall length and the 10 foot beam gives a lot of room to move around.

We looked at the newer 90's/2000 models and they were cramped accommodations to say the least, the layout was just wrong.
    Admiral,

I see I didn't answer this question. Yes, my 270 Dancer was one of the first with the 8.6 beam, new layout and smaller. And, yes, the cabin was tight, even for 2 people. Later years had a better layout. And, if served us well, reliable fun economical boat, but it's time for an upgrade and change.

Seaman

All,

Still looking, and now comparing the 310 Chaparral with the 318 Four Winns. They look remarkably similar, and wondering if those experienced with both can comment. The Four Winns seems better appointed, and better styling. The Chap has better engine access, nicer port lounge, nicer settee in the cabin. Also, I've heard that parts from Chap can be an issue.

I have not demo'd the 318, but hopefully will, shortly.

Other things?

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Well, for almost any parts you may need for either brand, they would likely be ordered through a local dealer, and not direct from the builder. So then it boils down to what dealers of both brands are near you. I have several friends with Chaparral boats, a good local dealer, and parts and customer service is first rate. I also have several friends who own Four Winns cruisers, they are a customer of my company, and are built here in Michigan. No bashing here, but Four Winns has lost alot of dealers after the bankruptcy, and do not seem to be overly concerned with building that deler base up to what it should be. Our local dealer is great, and any parts needed can be ordered without issue. Styling is a matter of taste. Layout of the boat is more personal preference than a materials issue IMO.

In summary, I will say that both brands are equal in my book, as far as build quality, materials and re-sale value. I will give the edge at this time to Chaparral for customer service and parts support.

You need to sea trial both boats and decide which one fits best for you. If it was me, and both boats were nearly equal in price, features, condition, and year, I would lean towards the Chaparral 310 Signature.

Good Luck !!

All,

Still looking, and now comparing the 310 Chaparral with the 318 Four Winns. They look remarkably similar, and wondering if those experienced with both can comment. The Four Winns seems better appointed, and better styling. The Chap has better engine access, nicer port lounge, nicer settee in the cabin. Also, I've heard that parts from Chap can be an issue.

I have not demo'd the 318, but hopefully will, shortly.

Other things?

Take note of the power (engine/out drive) If it is the Volvo XDP (composite) don't buy it. I see a lot of them for sale. If the engine is Volvo, do you have a dealer near you that can work on it? They came with Merc power packages also.
    Assault Squadron NINE
    River Assault Division NINETY-ONE-1966

Lieutenant Junior Grade

He is already aware of the XDP issues, and has been warned on two other message boards.

Quote Originally Posted by BarryBoats
    I had to replace my outdrives after numerous issues. If the boat is a bargain it is because you will need to spend money to replace the drives sooner than later.

Volvo has abandoned the technology.

It is not worth the effort to even look at or even consider any boat with the composite outdrives.

Master Chief Petty Officer Alwhite00's Avatar

What year is your current sundancer? What's the beam? - Just curious what you are replacing.

LK

1997 Sea Ray Sundancer 250 5.7EFI / BIII

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Quote Originally Posted by Alwhite00 View Post
    What year is your current sundancer? What's the beam? - Just curious what you are replacing.

LK
    He stated a couple posts ago his 270DA was "one of the first with the 8.6 beam". 1992 was the first year with 8'6" beam in the 270DA of the 90'a era.. 1990 and 1991 had a 9'0" beam, 1988 models were the last with a 10' beam. Sea Ray did not make a 270 Sundancer in 1989. So I suspect his is between a 1992 and 1997, as Sea Ray went to a 9'2" beam in the 270DA in 1998.

Seaman

Quote Originally Posted by Alwhite00 View Post

LK
    Current Sundancer is a 1994 270 with a 8.6 beam. Fine boat, but ready to upgrade. The mission will be close to the same, except adding more creature comforts and being more comfortable in a bit rougher seas, if needed.

Seaman

More thinking....

A good boating friend has pointed me toward the Formula 31PC, which looks interesting. It's a step above the others in both quality and price. It's also a bit heavier at 14K lbs, pushing the limit of my 16K lift.

However, it looks pretty good and appears that one could be had for perhaps 25% more than the Chap or Four Winns. Doesn't get the gas mileage that the Chap or Four Winns does, but not a big issue for my boating. And, quality IS important. That's why I fly a Beechcraft and not a Cessna. However, boating is not my passion, and will be of limited usage, perhaps once a week or so... not a die hard boater.

Worth it? Can any Formula owners that have experienced the other boats comment? And, also comments about the smaller Formula 31 and 33 Sun Sport, that looks like a lighter, faster boat, at the expense of a much smaller cabin.

Quote Originally Posted by tpenfield View Post
    Formula 31PC would be best.

You won't be short on power.
    tpenfield,
    The Formula 05 and later are great, but awful pricey. What makes them worth that much... almost 50% more than the competition.
    Quote Originally Posted by haulnazz15 View Post
    The difference in price for the Formula is going to be in the quality of the materials. They typically use more stainless steel instead of aluminum or plastic versus other lines. There is a reason Formula is one of the premium brands, like Cobalt, Cruisers Inc, etc.
    More thinking....

A good boating friend has pointed me toward the Formula 31PC, which looks interesting. It's a step above the others in both quality and price. It's also a bit heavier at 14K lbs, pushing the limit of my 16K lift.

However, it looks pretty good and appears that one could be had for perhaps 25% more than the Chap or Four Winns. Doesn't get the gas mileage that the Chap or Four Winns does, but not a big issue for my boating. And, quality IS important. That's why I fly a Beechcraft and not a Cessna. However, boating is not my passion, and will be of limited usage, perhaps once a week or so... not a die hard boater.

Worth it? Can any Formula owners that have experienced the other boats comment? And, also comments about the smaller Formula 31 and 33 Sun Sport, that looks like a lighter, faster boat, at the expense of a much smaller cabin.
    We did talk a little bit about the Formula line . . . They are better values as used boat than they are as new boats. I just bought a 33 Sun Sport. . . It weighs about 9000 lbs and goes mid-50's mph (like 54 mph). I looked at a 31 PC, but it did not really fit my style of boating. As you mentioned, I believe the 31PC is about 12K lbs. pushed by twin 454's. I believe that it will get in the high 40's to low 50's for speed . . . which is pretty fast for a boat that size/weight.

The performance will be there with a Formula versus other brands, as they are generally well powered, and the 'componentry' is generally higher end. Construction-wise, they are similar to many boats, but tend to have a bit more impact resistance built into the hull in the form of 'ribs' every foot or so. Styling is one of their more prominent traits.

The graphics tend not to fade as they are made from high-end Imron paints.

So, to compare it to an automobile . . . it is like a BMW or Accura. . . versus Ford's and Chevy's.

Here is a link to my 'search' thread . . showing a 31PC and some 330SS and 280ss boats. http://forums.iboats.com/boat-topics...at-561385.html
    Best regards,
    Formula 330 Sun Sport
    Twin Mercruiser 7.4 LX MPI (0F802036, 0F802039), Bravo 3's (0F806198, 0F806199)
    1969 Mercury 7.5 HP Outboard (26346XX)
    My Formula 330SS Web Site: -> Link
    My Formula 242SS Web Site: -> Link
    My Catalina 22 Web Site: -> Link

Member of the Month - February 2013 http://www.iboats.com/blog/tpenfield...-of-the-month/

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast