Please note this thread has been inactive for 90 days. For the best results, please start a new thread.
Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1

    Default Am I required to have insurance on my boat?

    I have a 16' Rinker fish/ski boat. Do I have to have insurance on it, or is it optional?
    1976 Glastron GT 150

  2. #2
    Moderator JB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    The Hideout, Whitt, TX, USA
    Posts
    45,902

    Default Re: Am I required to have insurance on my boat?

    I don't know of any laws that require insurance, but I am very sure that common sense does.

  3. #3
    Lieutenant cribber's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Harris Chain of Lakes Fl
    Posts
    1,326

    Default Re: Am I required to have insurance on my boat?

    It all depends on where your boat is registered. In Florida, currently you do not need proof of insurance to register a boat. If you are operating a boat that requires a registration you really should cough up the $150-200 a year to ensure you're covered if the worst happens. God forbid you get really hurt out on the water where your auto and or home owner's policy doesn't cover your medical expenses. Or worst, you hurt someone else through your own negligence and lose everything you own to a lawsuit. I'm of the belief if it moves you from point A to B in public... have it insured.


    We be boat peeps
    2008 GT-185 3.0l Penta

  4. #4
    Lieutenant Commander arks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Havre de Grace, Md.
    Posts
    1,918

    Default Re: Am I required to have insurance on my boat?

    Not required, but at the VERY least you should have a personal liability policy.
    The boat won't be protected but YOU will be (from a lawsuit).
    "Winter Dream"
    Silverton 34C
    White/Green

    Wellcraft 23 Nova XL

    Lowe 1448 BigJon
    w/Evinrude 25HP

  5. #5
    Supreme Mariner kenmyfam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Belle River, Ontario.
    Posts
    14,255

    Default Re: Am I required to have insurance on my boat?

    Get at least a liability policy for peace of mind if nothing else.
    Marada 2100 Executive Series, 5 Litre V8 with Mercruiser Alpha 1 outdrive. 2007 K-Z Spree 260 RBH, all = a whole lot of family fun !!!!

  6. #6
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Chart 12274 Maryland
    Posts
    4,635

    Thumbs up Re: Am I required to have insurance on my boat?

    Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    I don't know of any laws that require insurance, but I am very sure that common sense does.
    As does a conscience, in my opinion of course. It's cheap people, get it!

  7. #7
    Senior Chief Petty Officer BTMCB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Ventura County, Southern California
    Posts
    761

    Default Re: Am I required to have insurance on my boat?

    With all due respect to OP and to the very knowledgable experienced people on this site, your question should be directed to your state, your broker, your lawyer or your common sense.


    -------------
    Brian
    Same Admiral since 1973
    2011 Chaparral 206SSI, 5.0L VP GXI SX, 270HP
    2013 Ford 150 Platinum Super Crew, Eco Boost
    2013 Infiniti G-37

  8. #8
    Lieutenant Commander
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Salem OR
    Posts
    1,610

    Default Re: Am I required to have insurance on my boat?

    Quote Originally Posted by BTMCB View Post
    With all due respect to OP and to the very knowledgable experienced people on this site, your question should be directed to your state, your broker, your lawyer or your common sense.
    LOL - if you ask your insurance broker (who is a salesman by trade) if you should buy more insurance from him, what in the world do you think he'll say? Besides, it's more fun to get opinions on a forum

  9. #9
    Lieutenant Junior Grade
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    St Petersburg
    Posts
    1,195

    Default Re: Am I required to have insurance on my boat?

    Quote Originally Posted by cribber View Post
    It all depends on where your boat is registered. In Florida, currently you do not need proof of insurance to register a boat. If you are operating a boat that requires a registration you really should cough up the $150-200 a year to ensure you're covered if the worst happens. God forbid you get really hurt out on the water where your auto and or home owner's policy doesn't cover your medical expenses. Or worst, you hurt someone else through your own negligence and lose everything you own to a lawsuit. I'm of the belief if it moves you from point A to B in public... have it insured.
    X 2

  10. #10

    Default Re: Am I required to have insurance on my boat?

    I know at least here in CA, If you finance a used boat from a private party the bank will ask you to get insurance, But they do not check on you to see if it's covered or not, But if you finance a new boat from a dealer then the boat can not leave the store till it is covered.

Similar Threads

  1. Boat Insurance...required?
    By divertodd in forum Boat Topics and Questions (not engine topics)
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: May 16th, 2007, 10:12 AM
  2. Boat Insurance?
    By RCSConstruction in forum Boat Topics and Questions (not engine topics)
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: April 11th, 2007, 07:55 PM
  3. BOAT INSURANCE
    By Vantoo in forum Dockside Chat
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: December 9th, 2005, 02:21 AM
  4. Required HP for Boat
    By JSL in forum Boat Topics and Questions (not engine topics)
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: January 28th, 2004, 05:27 AM
  5. Boat insurance
    By thornious in forum Dockside Chat
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: May 1st, 2003, 04:36 PM
  1. iboats Forum Directory - Over 100,000 forum posts organized by topic